Unfinished business. Flywheel and clutch install 2002 F-150 4.2l V6

Old 02-06-2016, 05:42 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Unfinished business. Flywheel and clutch install 2002 F-150 4.2l V6

UPDATE!!!!

Four years ago I purchased a 2002 4.2L V6 Manual transmission F-150 with a spun connecting rod bearing. I decided to rebuild the engine myself rather than putting in one from a junkyard.

I had to rebuild it TWICE because I forgot to tighten the cam retaining bolt. But the second rebuild went very well. (See link below.)

https://www.f150online.com/forums/v6...l-rebuild.html

I can't believe that was over four years ago. The ticking sound was just a loose spark plug boot (DUH).

Four years and over 36,000 miles later the engine has run perfectly. Doesn't leak oil or coolant. Needs no oil between 5,000 mile changes and has pulled like a mule, including lugging a 1,000 lb trailer with a 4,000 lb car across the mountains of Virginia and West Virginia.

The one problem was that I had the flywheel turned when I probably should have replaced it. It had hairline cracks in it and the boss was gone from the machine shop the day I took it to get turned. When I asked the underling if it was in good enough shape to turn it he got irritated and barked, "Look, do you want me to turn it or not?" I was kind'a surprised and intimidated by his response and told him to do it.

The clutch began chattering under heat and load and has gotten progressively worse over the years. Last week the seal in the internal hydraulic release bearing let loose puking brake fluid all over the inside of the bell housing and clutch parts.

I had been putting off replacing the flywheel and clutch assembly so I was kind'a glad this forced me into action.

I am going to post the procedure, with pictures, in a step by step thread.

Here goes!

Old 02-06-2016, 06:04 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
I highly recommend you replace the pilot bearing and the entire clutch assembly when you are in there - also the engine rear main seal.

Old 02-06-2016, 06:21 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
I highly recommend you replace the pilot bearing and the entire clutch assembly when you are in there - also the engine rear main seal.
Hi glc,

Thanks for the advice.

I replaced the entire clutch assembly four years ago, when I rebuilt the engine, except for the flywheel.

I have a clutch kit that includes the pilot bearing. So I will definitely replace all of the parts that come with the kit.

I put a new rear main seal in when I rebuilt the engine 36,000 miles ago, but I might replace it again if it isn't too hard to do.

Old 02-06-2016, 09:02 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
If it only was 36k ago, the rear main seal should be okay. Inspect it carefully for seepage when you have the flywheel out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Unfinished business. Flywheel and clutch install 2002 F-150 4.2l V6