TSB 13-08-01 - Intercooler fix - will it reduce power and/or MPGs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 01:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSB 13-08-01 - Intercooler fix - will it reduce power and/or MPGs?

I got the dreaded engine drowning issue this past weekend - driving for a couple hours in heavy rain and heavy traffic. Stopped at a rest stop, and upon leaving (heavy acceleration on on-ramp) it stumbled miserably.
But I recognized the issue, backed off the gas, and kept on driving. After a few tip-ins over 10 minutes it dried out and ran fine.

But I'd like to get it fixed. I can't imagine what that would feel like if I were pulling my 30' camper.

So I called the dealer and they said they would install TSB 13-08-01 which blocks the air at the bottom of the intercooler.

I assume this is to keep the bottom hotter and therefore vaporize any moisture that might try to collect there?

So my question is - will this make any significant reductions in my power or MPGs???
If the air leaving the intercooler is hotter than it should make less power in theory...

Does anyone have this TSB already - did you notice any difference?

Old 08-25-2015, 01:19 PM
PS - did anyone find this link yet? Interesting read - its the Ford response to NHTSA on this issue
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs...018-57516P.pdf

Old 08-25-2015, 02:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Save yourself the trouble. Drill a .050" hole in the lowest portion of the intercooler and call it good. The water will drain out through it and you will be good to go. From what I understand the part the TSB adds is just a diverter to stop the water from being sucked up all at once.

Old 08-28-2015, 10:43 AM
Originally Posted by Wookie
Save yourself the trouble. Drill a .050" hole in the lowest portion of the intercooler and call it good. The water will drain out through it and you will be good to go.
I've heard of this before...
so the intercooler is under pressure and this will always be a very slight air leak, right?
Is there any issue with it whistling?

Does anyone have a How-To that shows where to drill the hole?

Thanks

Old 08-28-2015, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by mkosu04
I've heard of this before...
so the intercooler is under pressure and this will always be a very slight air leak, right?
Is there any issue with it whistling?

Does anyone have a How-To that shows where to drill the hole?

Thanks
There's always a little bit of pressure in the intercooler and there's enough other noise to cover a whistle. The "other" F150 Forum has a couple hundred page thread on doing it. There's a couple of how tos there.

Old 08-28-2015, 12:58 PM
thanks for the tip... googling these phrases gives lots of results... both forums and videos.

Ecoboost condensate drain hole, post your results here

f150 ecoboost drill hole intercooler

Old 08-28-2015, 01:17 PM
The first one is what I was talking about. I don't think the mods like us linking to the other place.

The best place is the elbow on the drivers side at the very bottom. That's the lowest point in the outlet. I haven't done it yet on mine, only because it's only done it twice and I'm busy/lazy.

Old 08-28-2015, 01:20 PM
wow, after reading some (not all of the 160+ pages) and watching the videos, I am just going to drill the small hole... and cancel my service appointment.

that way the water can drain out, and I'm still getting the coolest possible air exiting the CAC.

Old 09-06-2015, 03:35 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you are under factory warranty I'd hold off on drilling any holes in any intercooler. Let Ford deal with that debacle!

Old 09-08-2015, 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by risupercrewman
If you are under factory warranty I'd hold off on drilling any holes in any intercooler. Let Ford deal with that debacle!
I only have a few months left on my warranty.

And its a very small hole that I feel confident I could "make disappear" with a little black RTV if needed.

Old 09-09-2015, 02:17 PM
I drilled the hole and have had zero problems. Couple of drips the first day or two and then nothing since. Of course my problem turned out to be the plugs instead :-)

Old 02-12-2018, 06:45 PM
Hey guys been reading all these threads and I have a question I have a 2014 explorer sport and im.getting that surge also will drilling a hole in my intercooler fix it? The sho guys are saying don't do it it's two different engines bit I have tried everything to fix this surge amd.its not working I am.tuned one step colder plugs and 3 bar map sensor.

Old 03-18-2018, 10:25 AM
question, I got the shutter and drilled the hole yesterday. the drill bit went through the plastic then hit something hard about a 1/16th the way after getting through the outer plastic, bit probably only went in 1/8" total. I can feel air coming out. Do I need to drill to the next layer or leave it? I figure leave it, but nothing came out so want to check

Old 03-19-2018, 11:36 AM
Originally Posted by Robert Boatner
Hey guys been reading all these threads and I have a question I have a 2014 explorer sport and im.getting that surge also will drilling a hole in my intercooler fix it? The sho guys are saying don't do it it's two different engines bit I have tried everything to fix this surge amd.its not working I am.tuned one step colder plugs and 3 bar map sensor.
The engines are a little bit different but the intercooler weep hole should work the same way. Make sure your version uses a MAP sensor instead of a MAF, otherwise you will have a slight mixture issue.

Originally Posted by galenweaver25
question, I got the shutter and drilled the hole yesterday. the drill bit went through the plastic then hit something hard about a 1/16th the way after getting through the outer plastic, bit probably only went in 1/8" total. I can feel air coming out. Do I need to drill to the next layer or leave it? I figure leave it, but nothing came out so want to check
If your feeling air you're good to go.

Quick Reply: TSB 13-08-01 - Intercooler fix - will it reduce power and/or MPGs?