15000 Mile Oil Report

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 02:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 15000 Mile Oil Report Updated 30000

I have been changing the oil every 5000 miles so this is the 3rd.
Comments are welcome

Last edited by Peladho; 10-14-2016 at 12:34 AM.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:07 AM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
While there is no damage as such to the engine, I would NOT be happy with this report. Here's the issue, the valves in the direct injected engines are having to carry deposits that the gas detergents never see. Performance over time is going to suffer. While we think these engines are running at 14.4 stoic, they are in fact running anywhere from 11 to 65 depending on demand. We're learning that the direct injected engine is as different as a diesel from a NA engine. A NA engine does not have to deal with the soot that is produced by the DI engine. I believe we are going to start seeing oils formulated for DI engines.
Back to your report. No where on the report is any indication of any oxidation or nitration or any shearing, although the reported viscosity that they kinda blew off is certainly an indicator that something is not right. Your MC oil is a dandy and a bargain for the NA engines. It's not so dandy for the DI engines. The "normal" starting viscosity of a virgin sample will usually be at 10-11cSt. The report shows it has been reduced mechanically to 8.06. That's in the mid 20 viscosity range. Because they state that fuel is a trace, the oil has been hammered to a 20 and that my friend is a reduction of 25% in viscosity. While the oil may have some acid reducing ability, this oil is done, spent, kaput, wasted. I would suggest IF you want optimum results and engine life to use any of the following:
Amsoil Signature Series 5w-30
Redline 10w-30= unless you have winter startups at -25F there's no issues using it
Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30
Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5w-30

If you just want to stay with the MC oil, I'd strongly suggest 3500 mile changes. Your truck, your money.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:43 AM
Thanks Labnerd,
I think I will just do that, when we bought the truck we negotiated 10 free oil changes supposedly at every 7500 but I have been doing them at around 5000 and will be doing them every 3500 from now on until I run out of free oil changes, Then switching to Redline, I used to use that in my Toyota Supra and I seem to remember it ran damn good with it.

Old 12-10-2015, 09:23 AM
Post Updated Oil Report 4100 miles on oil

I would be curious what you have to say about this oil sample Labnerd.
This time it shows a little fuel in the oil, I wonder if that is because the shop that changes the oil is about a mile away and the engine never got warm enough to burn any of it away?

Thanks

Old 12-10-2015, 09:52 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Let's look at how Blackstone gets the fuel numbers. They do not test for fuel at all, at least not in spectroscopy. To get the REAL numbers you would have to run a gas chromatography test. Blackstone gets their fuel in oil estimates, keyword: estimate, from the viscosity reduction and the lower than expected flashpoint. The number .5 is not real on this report although it would appear that there is some gas in the oil. A flash test is just that, the oil is heated and an open flame is held above the sample. At what temperature there is a flash of fire is the flashpoint. If you have gas in the oil, it will flash earlier than expected as it's the fuel flashing, not the oil. If you have gas in the oil the viscosity is reduced making it thinner. In your case, I'd say the numbers would be expected. The oil viscosity trended downward just like the first report. I would call this the edge of acceptable results and wouldn't suggest running this brand and type any farther. Copper is trending down while iron is still a little high but most likely still breaking in and most likely will start to trend down as well. Viscosity says the oil has sheared to a 20 at temp.

Old 12-10-2015, 10:15 PM
Thanks Labnerd
I appreciate your input and I will keep the oil changes between 3500 and 4000 til I run out of my freebies.
P

Old 10-06-2016, 11:20 PM
Updated Oil Report 30000 and 5500 miles on oil

Last edited by Peladho; 10-07-2016 at 12:42 AM.

Quick Reply: 15000 Mile Oil Report