2013 Ecoboost overheating towing up hills

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 11:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The info from the owners manual actually kinda sums up the condition but my confusion is still there. Why has this only happened SINCE I had the PCM updated? As mentioned before this truck has pulled the same trailer in the same conditions before without a gauge moving let alone to the overheat level. It seems to me that maybe the temp levels allowed before the warnings come on have been considerably lowered with this update. I would think an engineer should be able to give me this information. If that's the case then at least I can rest a little easier the next time I see it. On the other hand kinda makes giving a 1/2 ton truck an 11000 + "towing capacity" seem STUPIDer than I've always thought since I am a long ways from my trucks advertised capability.

Old 08-01-2015, 01:29 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by 5land
The info from the owners manual actually kinda sums up the condition but my confusion is still there. Why has this only happened SINCE I had the PCM updated? As mentioned before this truck has pulled the same trailer in the same conditions before without a gauge moving let alone to the overheat level. It seems to me that maybe the temp levels allowed before the warnings come on have been considerably lowered with this update. I would think an engineer should be able to give me this information. If that's the case then at least I can rest a little easier the next time I see it. On the other hand kinda makes giving a 1/2 ton truck an 11000 + "towing capacity" seem STUPIDer than I've always thought since I am a long ways from my trucks advertised capability.
I have to agree with just about everything you are saying. *shrug*

I'm guessing that the PCM update was done to reduce the chance of overheating danger to the truck while towing. Note the power reduction doesn't stop you from pulling the load, it just makes you do it "more gently". And, why the Ford techs don't know about this is also a mystery. Probably, they were never educated.

I think, combining what my manual says with the information you're getting from the dealership, that my opinion is correct. The truck's powertrain (both the engine and transmission) CAN get quite hot when under heavy load in high ambient temperature conditions. That can't be good for long life.

- Jack

Old 08-01-2015, 05:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
An engineer *could* give you this information if he doesn't want to keep his job. What goes on inside the PCM is a closely guarded secret. We would all love to be able to find out the most minute detail about our trucks if we wanted to but that's not gonna happen. No manufacturer will let the cat outta the bag on things like this.

Old 08-01-2015, 05:22 PM
I guess the bottom line is I'm afraid of this causing more problems than just the truck "possibly" overheating....like getting run over by a semi as your trying to pull your OVERLY cautious pickup with trailer over on a narrow mountain pass. Guess according to these engineers that's not as important as their little engine. It actually makes sense when the unit is pushed closer to the capacity limits they advertise but again, I'm not close. The thing that really pisses me off is the fact that I have considered myself one of the biggest Eco fans out there (I absolutely love my truck and up to now I was extremely confident in its abilities to bully those big V8's in the hills) but now I'm unsure at best.

Old 08-02-2015, 12:44 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I guess the bottom line is I'm afraid of this causing more problems than just the truck "possibly" overheating....like getting run over by a semi as your trying to pull your OVERLY cautious pickup with trailer over on a narrow mountain pass. Guess according to these engineers that's not as important as their little engine. It actually makes sense when the unit is pushed closer to the capacity limits they advertise but again, I'm not close. The thing that really pisses me off is the fact that I have considered myself one of the biggest Eco fans out there (I absolutely love my truck and up to now I was extremely confident in its abilities to bully those big V8's in the hills) but now I'm unsure at best.
Why not spend 12 bucks and purchase another sensor and install it? i have read another thread and guy was having the same problems. Ford told him the same thing as you, he replaced the sensor and have had no more problems.

http://www.tascaparts.com/oe-ford/9l8z6g004e

Last edited by KingRanchCoy; 08-02-2015 at 12:47 PM.
Old 08-02-2015, 05:03 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Put it into test mode next time you're going to pull a big hill. That will read out the exact coolant temp and it's free. There's a thing called a Scangauge that plugs into your OBDII port and puts this info a digital form. There's also Bluetooth adapters that turn your phone into digital gauges. All of these will give you peace of mind about what's going on.

However, since all of this started after a software not a hardware change I highly suspect the new program changed the warning threshold.

Old 08-02-2015, 07:23 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Wookie
There's also Bluetooth adapters that turn your phone into digital gauges. All of these will give you peace of mind about what's going on.
I love the Torque App. I spend like 18 bucks for the dongle and the app. I always monitor the gauges.

Old 08-04-2015, 01:01 PM
Now that looks excellent! I have the Bully Dog tuner (which I have yet to ever hook up) and it actually has a lot of these gauges so I will be sure to at least try that. And quite frankly I think I will just change out that CHT sensor anyway for a little piece of mind.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:12 PM
Same issue

I have a 2013 Platinum Ecoboost 3:55 gear ratio crew cab short bed and its doing what sound like the exact same thing. Towing about 5200 LB boats.

Any resolve yet?

Old 08-12-2015, 11:12 AM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Boatingman
I have a 2013 Platinum Ecoboost 3:55 gear ratio crew cab short bed and its doing what sound like the exact same thing. Towing about 5200 LB boats.

Any resolve yet?
Welcome to the forum, Boatingman. If you haven't already, I'd recommend making an appointment at your dealership to have this diagnosed. Does it only happen when you're towing? How many miles are on your truck?

Crystal

Old 08-12-2015, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by Boatingman

Any resolve yet?

Nothing other than a PCM update. Based on the number of similar complaints I see and the canned response I would bet money that nothing will be done other than a PCM update and hope that you are towing when ambient temperatures are lower. I will say that my truck performed better and "as advertised" when ambient temperatures are lower. I too have lost the confidence in our truck towing when the conditions are hotter. I should not have to plan or worry about weather conditions when towing but that seems to be a reality for this engine. I am moving on as I continue to see the same response time after time.

Good luck with your dealer and Ford's customer service team as I believe their hands are tied. I have been down that road and while I believe they truly tried to help; they were not able to provide any solutions other than what you will read in this thread. I appreciated their attempts but it was a complete waste of time. Let us know if you get any resolution that is different that what we have been reporting on this thread.

Last edited by colbray; 08-12-2015 at 12:55 PM.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:28 PM
I agree completely colbray. Its not the tech / dealer / customer service teams. I just wish I would have stayed with my old saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it" and not done an update and my betting money says I wouldn't have had this issue. If only someone would confirm this for me....at least I'd feel better putting the hammer down pulling the mountains again.

Old 08-12-2015, 02:17 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
silly question...can in be reflashed to the previous file.

i would guess no, but worth a try.

Old 08-12-2015, 02:35 PM
There's no going back Brother....

Old 08-19-2015, 12:43 PM
Originally Posted by FordService
Welcome to the forum, Boatingman. If you haven't already, I'd recommend making an appointment at your dealership to have this diagnosed. Does it only happen when you're towing? How many miles are on your truck?

Crystal
Crystal,

I have talked to my dealer and they have given me the same story, No CEL mean no issue and even after plugging in the find no issue.

My truck has 81,000 Miles. This is my second eco boost F150, the first was a 2013 as well and would easily tow double the load with no issue regardless of conditions outside.

I went out of town again this last weekend and towed about a 5500 LB boat to lake powell. this time in the middle of the night so cool conditions and it would do everything i required of it with no over heating.

It is quite frustrating that I cant tow 1/2 of the rated capacity without over heat issues during the day.

Quick Reply: 2013 Ecoboost overheating towing up hills