5W-20 vs 5W-30 for Ecoboost

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 12:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 5W-20 vs 5W-30 for Ecoboost

ATTENTION LABNERD - your expertise is requested!

So this past weekend I changed the oil in my 2012 ecoboost. But I made a bonehead move and put in 5W-20 instead of the recommended 5W-30
(in my defence... my old 5.4 used 5W-20 and my wife's escape uses 5W-20)

Is this a major problem?
Should I drain it out and put in 5W-30 right away?

Note 1 - this was Mobil 1 full synthetic oil
(but I get it on sale at Costco so its only about $20... I'm OK spending another 20 bucks if this is a problem)

Note 2 - I have a ≈7K pound camper that I will be pulling this summer. (if that matters?)

Thanks

Old 06-08-2015, 12:34 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mkosu04
ATTENTION LABNERD - your expertise is requested!

So this past weekend I changed the oil in my 2012 ecoboost. But I made a bonehead move and put in 5W-20 instead of the recommended 5W-30
(in my defence... my old 5.4 used 5W-20 and my wife's escape uses 5W-20)

Is this a major problem?

(but I get it on sale at Costco so its only about $20... I'm OK spending another 20 bucks if this is a problem)

Note 2 - I have a ≈7K pound camper that I will be pulling this summer. (if that matters?)

Thanks
Im sure not Labnerd but i would say drain it and put the 5w30 in there.. These Eb's are a little hard on the oil with the fuel in it, I would think the fuel would break down the 5w20 to a thinner viscosity

Old 06-08-2015, 05:57 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Is this a major problem?
Yes

I would do it today.

Mostly irrelevant info. There are FAR better oils out there for your EB engine. I'd suggest a different one. Probably the easiest to find is QS Ultimate 5w-30, the best is Pennzoil Ultra 5w-30.

THis will probably do damage to the engine depending on how far the drive and the power needed to get there.

You can drain the oil out and use it in the Escape at a later time. Just make sure the container is air tight. IF you have a container and not sure if it is air tight, you can use a gasket seal or even nail polish on the cap to seal it. The recommendation is due to the EB running high internal temps and the cooking off of the oil which ends up as contamination in the intake. M1 is not great but not horrible either. I've listed the PQIA for reference material for you to look yourself and even have listed oils with their ASTM D5800 test results. Might look at other threads to see the list.

Old 06-08-2015, 10:53 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
FWIW, I've had several ask where to find the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum as it's a hard find. You can order it from Walmart and if you buy 2 bottles, they will ship it to your door. Here's the webpage. I have zero vested interest in Walmart or Pennzoil.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pennzoil-U...5-Qts/36030481

For those that prefer to have their oil changed instead of doing it yourself, Pennzoil website has a coupon for 10 bucks off of the Jiffy Lube Pennzoil Platinum Service package. It does not apply to bottles purchased, service only.
http://www.pennzoil.com/coupons/

For other Pennzoil users that trade at Jiffy Lube, they have a 5 dollar coupon.

Old 06-08-2015, 11:46 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Labnerd
FWIW, I've had several ask where to find the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum as it's a hard find. You can order it from Walmart and if you buy 2 bottles, they will ship it to your door. Here's the webpage. I have zero vested interest in Walmart or Pennzoil.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pennzoil-U...5-Qts/36030481

For those that prefer to have their oil changed instead of doing it yourself, Pennzoil website has a coupon for 10 bucks off of the Jiffy Lube Pennzoil Platinum Service package. It does not apply to bottles purchased, service only.
http://www.pennzoil.com/coupons/

For other Pennzoil users that trade at Jiffy Lube, they have a 5 dollar coupon.
Changed the oil in my truck today, Went all over the place looking for it.. No luck until i went to Wally World.. They had 5 quart Jugs of 5w30 for 27 bucks or a quart for $8.92

Ended up getting the 5 quart Jug, 1 quart, motorcraft filter and payed them 10 bucks to change it.. Plan on using the Ultra from now on.

I also enrolled in the Pennzoil Warranty on their website.. Im sure it's prob BS but went ahead and did it.

Last edited by KingRanchCoy; 06-08-2015 at 11:51 PM.
Old 06-09-2015, 12:13 PM
OK, I'll change it out.
And I think I shouldn't again forget which oil I need for the ecoboost.

My wife's car is due for an oil change, so I will just put it in the Escape. (makes me feel better about not wasting the oil).

Thanks for the advice!

Old 06-09-2015, 12:47 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
This was an interesting thread, since I recently took my "new" 2014 EcoBeast to the dealer for an oil change. I've discovered they put 5W20 MC oil in it. I note, that according to the owner's manual, that this oil is the correct viscosity for all the other (non-EcoBoost) engines used in 2014 F150s. So, I can only conclude they made a mistake (these things happen) and I will be getting the oil replaced. Fortunately, I've put only about 130 miles on the truck since the oil was changed, so I doubt much damage would have occurred.

Thanks for your expertise, Labnerd!

- Jack

Old 06-10-2015, 01:46 PM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
This was an interesting thread, since I recently took my "new" 2014 EcoBeast to the dealer for an oil change. I've discovered they put 5W20 MC oil in it.
I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one to make that mistake!
but shouldn't a dealer know better???

Old 06-10-2015, 02:17 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Yes, they should, but I had a dealer put in only 6 quarts in my 2005 5.4 and the service rep argued with me when I told him it took 7 quarts. I had him look it up in his computer and it made him mad that I was correct. That is why I check the oil before I leave. It happened twice.

Last edited by Bluejay; 06-11-2015 at 12:14 PM. Reason: corrected number of quarts
Old 06-10-2015, 02:17 PM
Global Moderator &

You would think so, especially since the oil cap on the engine clearly has 5W30 printed on it. But, I've learned not everyone has an elevator running to the top floor.

I called the dealership today and have an appointment to get the oil changed this afternoon. No arguments, no quibbling.

- Jack

Old 06-11-2015, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
Yes, they should, but I had a dealer put in only 5 quarts in my 2005 5.4 and the service rep argued with me when I told him it took 6 quarts. I had him look it up in his computer and it made him mad that I was correct. That is why I check the oil before I leave. It happened twice.
The 5.4L engine took 7 quarts. I changed mine many times over the years.

Thats why I always change my own oil... I never make silly mistakes like a dealership.
oh
wait
guess I can't say that anymore!

Old 06-11-2015, 12:13 PM
Global Moderator &

The 5.4L engine took 7 quarts. I changed mine many times over the years.

Thats why I always change my own oil... I never make silly mistakes like a dealership.
oh
wait
guess I can't say that anymore!
You are correct, I should have said 7 quarts.

Old 06-11-2015, 03:38 PM
Global Moderator &

Personally, I think mistakes remind us we are human. Sometimes, we need that reminder.

- Jack

Old 06-11-2015, 04:19 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by JackandJanet
Personally, I think mistakes remind us we are human. Sometimes, we need that reminder.

- Jack
I just don't need to be reminded so often!

Quick Reply: 5W-20 vs 5W-30 for Ecoboost