4.2L V6 Intake Manifold gasket / Coolant bypass tube Job gone bad

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 12:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4.2L V6 Intake Manifold gasket / Coolant bypass tube Job gone bad

So my truck, ran fine before I started this, considering myself a capable mechanic I thought I could complete the job of removing the intake to swap the gaskets at the same time replace the L shaped metal coolant bypass hose that began to leak at the manifold. Taking it apart wasnt easy, putting it back much easier. Seems to all go back well. Changed the oil, added coolant and started it up. Crank a few times then fired up, idled upto what sounded like 2000-2500 and stayed there...slowly came down to probably 1800 but still very high. Lots of white smoke. Give it gas..heavy smoke...engine missing..sounds like spark plug wires are crossed. I turned it off, check the wires, they are good. Started it back up, hard to start...still feels like the cylinders are fighting against eachother...checked the plugs 3 more times, they are right...tried to start up again...wouldnt turn over, only half a crank, like the motor is locked. Only thing I didnt do was remove the plugs and try to blow out the cylinders, could I have trashed my motor? Why would it idle so high? What could I have done wrong? My idea is tonight to remove the plugs of course and shoot it with PB blaster. Any help would be great.
Thanks
Michael

Old 03-09-2015, 11:32 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Maybe. If you are lucky you didn't bend a rod.

Pull all the plugs and turn it over so you can see which cylinder filled with coolant. It sounds like you tweeked the gasket when you put it together. High idle from an air leak followed by the coolant finding the same hole.

Which intake are we talking about here, plastic or aluminum? Also what year is the truck?

One last thing, multiple threads on the same question will yield confusing results. Might ask a Moderator to either combine the 2 or delete the other one.

Good luck

Old 03-10-2015, 12:28 AM
glc
Received 760 Likes on 704 Posts
I already reported the post.

Old 03-16-2015, 11:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for the reply, So I pulled all the plugs, badly fowled, covered in black oil mabe mixed with coolant kind of thin, i turned the motor over and a lot of oil shot out. I cleaned and put the plugs back in started right up, still high idle. Took it for a ride, runs smooth, didnt sound bad at all really but still smoking terribly, a little lacking power but quickly overheated. Coolant was low, added coolant, ran again and overheated, coolant boiling out of tank even thought the motor didnt really seem to be that hot. Seems like your right the gasket may have gotten skewed. Chances are I wont be able to re use it if its crushed in the wrong place right? Its a 2002, plastic intake which I replaced (lower) with about 150K on it. Was about the same price to get the manifold with gaskets and isolator bolts than just to buy the parts without the manifold. Smoking never stopped, and I noticed a oilly wet residue on the exhaust pipe tips. Clearly im leaking and burning something. My next move is to basically do it over, I feel like I could take it down and put it back together in maybe 4 hours sinces everything is clean and I know exactly how to do it. Any suggestions? Appreciate it again.

Michael

btw, if I posted twice im sorry, I did post on another board dont know if theres any relation to this fourm etc.

Quick Reply: 4.2L V6 Intake Manifold gasket / Coolant bypass tube Job gone bad