02 4.2 cyl 1 2 3 misfire

Old 02-11-2015, 08:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 4.2 cyl 1 2 3 misfire

So this morning I start my truck it had an litle over an a quarter tank off gas. Ran it about 70 miles just fine. Then I got down to about e which is not uncommon for me the truck started pinging and loosing power. So I out 12 gallons premium in it. And it continued to get worse I replaced the plugs and still runs rough and saying cylinder 1 2 and 3 misfire and the plugs from those were much different then the other side of the engine. Checked for vacuum leaks none found. Checked wires for arcing none there. Clogged injectors or coil pack bad? Also bank1 rich code bank 2 lean codes came up with the other codes.

Old 02-11-2015, 10:16 PM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
One bank rich and the other bank lean is often caused by a jumped timing chain. You may need new plug wires and a coil pack though.

Old 02-11-2015, 11:29 PM
I changed all the plugs today. Not the wires though did not see any thing wrong with them. Coil pack was my guess but it's not that old maybe a little over a year I replaced it. I was thinking timing chain myself but still could be coil pack since all the problems are on the same side of the engine 1 2 3 cylinders but then again the coil pack does not work that way it links 1 and 4 2 and 5 and 3 and 6 I believe. So one would think the coil pack would be a problem on both sides of the engine not all on the driver side.

What symptoms would timing chains that jumped present? Hard start? Rough idle? Spark knock?

Old 02-12-2015, 12:40 AM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
[
What symptoms would timing chains that jumped present? Hard start? Rough idle? Spark knock?
Yes. All symptoms of timing advanced too far. Another clue is the rich on one bank, lean on the other.

You can't tell if plug wires are good by "looking" at them. When was the last time they were changed?

it links 1 and 4 2 and 5 and 3 and 6 I believe
Nope. 1 and 5, 2 and 6, 3 and 4. Waste spark system.

Old 02-12-2015, 04:28 AM
I checked the wires with an ohm meter I verified by lightly spraying water this evening and checking again. Both wires and coil pack replaced a little over a year ago. I don't have any issues starting the truck just have no power rough idle but it doesn't stall it will stay running. I'm going to verify spark in the morning I picked my gap tester up from a friend from there I guess I should go get a node tester check the injectors are working as intended before jumping right to timing

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 02 4.2 cyl 1 2 3 misfire