ecoboost doesnt like short trips or being babied

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 11:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ecoboost doesnt like short trips or being babied

I have been having the fuel dillution oil level rising problem this winter on my 13 ecoboost. The oil level has been up to the bend on the dipstick. I figured i would try an experment before dumping the oil. I drove the truck for a good 15 to 20 min then i did a couple 0 to 60 peddle to the floor runs and let it sit overnight. Checked the oil next morning and it was just below the top dot on the dipstick. Either all the fuel /moisture burned off or it sucked it into the intercooler. Anyways i think these trucks need to be worked and they dont like short trips. Also since redlining the truck it has been running alot better and just feels more peppy probably in my head. If any one else is having this probably before installing catchcan or letting ford tsb your truck try this out, i think this truck needs to be beat every now and then.

Old 01-19-2015, 12:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is advisable by a ford tech on here to drive it like you stole it.

Also helps with the intake buildup that they are having issues with. The hotter and harder it gets, the better they run!

Last edited by Pockets; 01-21-2015 at 09:00 AM.
Old 01-19-2015, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by Pockets
This is advisable by a ford tech on there to drive it like you stole it.

Also helps with the intake buildup that they are having issues with. The hotter and harder it gets, the better they run!
Do they offer that advice in writing?

Old 01-19-2015, 03:20 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Backnblack_66
In the very recent vidya that I think me fine colleague Pockets is referring to, the tech mentions that most scientific of procedures - the "Italian Tuneup"

Old 01-19-2015, 03:39 PM
I'm sure that it is not in writing.

But every vehicle benefits from hard driving. In fact it's the cheapest tune that you can do. I can't find a link but I believe every vehicle today learns and adapts to the way you drive, this changes shift points and engine tune.

Old 01-20-2015, 01:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No car likes short trips since the oil doesn't get hot enough to "burn" off the water in it. The difference with a turbo car is there's an intercooler for it to collect in.

The only time my EB had the CAC misfire was after several days of driving around like I had Miss Daisy and a bunch of nuns in the truck when it was cool and damp. The way I see it, Ford spent all that money putting numbers on the tach. I should try to use all of them.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:43 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
This is advisable by a ford tech on there to drive it like you stole it.

I shouldn't have any problems then! It see's 5500 rpm up to 85 or 90 every day i drive it.

I babied mine for a week or two a while back and it started running like poop.. Kicked it in the *** and got a cloud of black smoke and it took off and been fine since.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:06 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
How many miles were on your oil when this problem occurred? If you leave the oil in for an extended amount of time (in the ecoboost), gasoline can build up in the oil to the point of igniting and blowing off the oil pan or so I have read on this site. I'd be concerned.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:21 AM
I'm sure that it is not in writing.

But every vehicle benefits from hard driving. In fact it's the cheapest tune that you can do. I can't find a link but I believe every vehicle today learns and adapts to the way you drive, this changes shift points and engine tune.

Driving like you stole it is the only driving here in Houston. Just would be surprised that a dealer tech would say it.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:07 AM
Originally Posted by MGDfan
In the very recent vidya that I think me fine colleague Pockets is referring to, the tech mentions that most scientific of procedures - the "Italian Tuneup"

Originally Posted by Wookie
No car likes short trips since the oil doesn't get hot enough to "burn" off the water in it. The difference with a turbo car is there's an intercooler for it to collect in.

The only time my EB had the CAC misfire was after several days of driving around like I had Miss Daisy and a bunch of nuns in the truck when it was cool and damp. The way I see it, Ford spent all that money putting numbers on the tach. I should try to use all of them.
Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
I shouldn't have any problems then! It see's 5500 rpm up to 85 or 90 every day i drive it.

I babied mine for a week or two a while back and it started running like poop.. Kicked it in the *** and got a cloud of black smoke and it took off and been fine since.
There ya go the verdict is out! Drive like you got nuns in and you're truck will run like poop hahahahahaah

Driving like you stole it is the only driving here in Houston. Just would be surprised that a dealer tech would say it.
Have you seen any of his videos on here? Or on YouTube?

He is great and tells it like it is. Hell Ford should really pick him up and take him into their development.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:20 AM

There ya go the verdict is out! Drive like you got nuns in and you're truck will run like poop hahahahahaah

Have you seen any of his videos on here? Or on YouTube?

He is great and tells it like it is. Hell Ford should really pick him up and take him into their development.
Yep - like a nun wif da runs!

Here's th' vidya - first post in this here thread:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...need-know.html

Old 01-21-2015, 10:07 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Once I kicked the sisters out my truck has ran great.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Interesting. I think I might go for a quick drive

Old 01-21-2015, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by JohnBoy88
Interesting. I think I might go for a quick drive
Hell yeah!

Time t' Roll Coal .. er Soot, ... er, Pooh, er, ... whatever TF comes outta the ayss-end o' an Eco-Tooter!

Old 01-21-2015, 10:50 PM
With my oil being up to the bend on the dipstick it is safe to assume that it is dilluted to a lower viscosity. But after running truck hard and having truck return to normal oil levels would the oil return to normal undiluted viscosity? Roadie i have only had this oil in since october and noted the rise within the last 3 weeks, high has been below 32. My oil had strong fuel smell with the rise but since beating on my truck the oil has a faint gas smell along with accetable oil level. My wife thinks i am nuts because i am always outside playing with and smelling my dipstick lol.

Quick Reply: ecoboost doesnt like short trips or being babied