1998 F-150 Coolant Leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 12:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 1998 F-150 Coolant Leak

Hey there, I have a '98 4.2 L V6 F-150 that I recently had the rear main seal/gasket replaced due to a progressively growing oil leak. 2-3 days after getting truck back, no oil leak had been detected on my driveway, but I began noticing coolant- a little more each day- to the right of center (passenger side). I have taken it back to the mechanic and he is telling me the work done to change the rear main seal only involved dropping the tranny and in no way was the engine hoisted or messed w that could have lead to the newly diagnosed lower intake manifold gasket needing to be replaced for $600+.
I need to add that at about 135K miles my engine hydrolocked due to this '98 manifold gasket causing coolant to leak into my block. It has about 190K miles on it now so less than 60K miles on the new (not rebuilt) engine I put in in 08 (entire engine w all factory gaskets, etc.), and the mechanic is telling me it is purely coincidence that the manifold gasket went bad 2-3 days after having done the rear main seal job at his shop... I call BS, but dont know what recourse I have.
Any expert advice out there to prove/disprove the relationship in these two issues? Seems to me torquing on the oil pan and tranny to get to the rear main seal could have potentially caused this problem.
Thanks,
Byron

Old 06-11-2014, 02:58 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
I've reported this post - it doesn't belong in the forum comments and suggestions forum. A moderator should move it to the V-6 or 1997-2003 truck forum.

Total coincidence - the oil pan doesn't even have to come off to do the rear main seal, just the transmission and bell housing.

Quick Reply: 1998 F-150 Coolant Leak