Whats your tip look like ?

Old 05-05-2014, 10:20 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Whats your tip look like ?

Sorry to post this problem again; I know your all sick and tired of this , but can't be as much as I. Ya its the same old mileage sucks thing on our ecoboost. Dealers aren't a lot of help or should I say ford. Dealer trys but a ford policy is if a dealer doesn't find a ford approved problem ford won't pay the dealer for there time. So, I had it into a dealer about three weeks ago and they did the newest comp. upgrade. finally took a good test trip. 400 miles or so on a reasonably calm day 70 to 80 degrees , pretty much flat roads, cruise set at 72 mph and a whopping 15.2 mpg average on that trip. Washing the truck yesterday and the tailpipe looks like a wood burning stove pipe during a rain storm. Black wet sooty mess. It took laquer thinner to clean it up. So much for a pretty chrome exhaust tip. Whats your tailpipe look like? Do all these things look sooty ? Is it normal ? Abnormal ? To me anything that runs that rich has to be a problem. I would post a picture of it but i'm not that comp. savy. Thanks

Old 05-05-2014, 02:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good lord man . . . Is this about the exhaust tip? Hard to tell from half of it going into fuel mileage Yes, I think the exhaust tip is too covered in black soot. I was going to change mine out for a black one anyway because I think the chrome was a bad idea on the FX4. The correlation and causation are a big stretch.

Old 05-05-2014, 05:16 PM
Sorry ,I guess I did go all the way around the barn to get to the outhouse. Bottom line is if the tailpipe is that sooty and if its from running that rich, is that my mileage problem. Ford can't or won't or doesn't want to figure it out I guess I have to. Does all ecobooost motors have a rich sooty tail pipe or just mine. Do those that are getting the good mileage have sooty tailpipes also? sorry Thanks

Old 05-05-2014, 11:11 PM
Originally Posted by mtnmanut
Sorry ,I guess I did go all the way around the barn to get to the outhouse. Bottom line is if the tailpipe is that sooty and if its from running that rich, is that my mileage problem. Ford can't or won't or doesn't want to figure it out I guess I have to. Does all ecobooost motors have a rich sooty tail pipe or just mine. Do those that are getting the good mileage have sooty tailpipes also? sorry Thanks

From what I have seen posted on the ecoboost site I frequent, the answer would be yes, it is common to most everyone. But, that is just what I have read and perceived.

I was under my truck this afternoon and even noticed soot spots at the joints of the exhaust and one near what appears to be a bolt hole in the muffler. I thought all of that was a little weird. I was going to post some pics of that on the other site tomorrow with questions if others see that. At the very least, I would say I have exhaust leaks.

For your mileage part, don't you have a new motor? How may miles on that engine? I do believe you are getting less than what you should. I don't have any good answers on why. I would absolutely check plugs. There are reports of cracked porcelain and it seems that no plugs are the prescribed gap coming out of the factory or the box. I can't recall your year, but the general recommendation seems to be to buy the appropriate new Motorcraft plugs (current version not your year), gap them to .30, add a very small amount of anti-sieze and install them yourself. I think there is some fear that the dealers will just slap them in, but more the owners want to know what the gap was before and after so they DIY it.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:58 PM

Mileage since you last cleaned it? It's hard to judge just how covered in soot a tip is from a written description, but most all vehicles will build up soot on the tip after a period of time. Could certainly be running rich if it's excessive build up.

You ever have your AF ratio tested?

Old 05-06-2014, 12:02 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Mines nice and sooty too, When i start it up in the morning it will blow black smoke for the first 30 seconds and its good to go. If i just start it up and drive off i can roll mini coal like a diesel for the 30 seconds . Truck runs great though 31k miles and counting.

I have more of a problem with rubber on the tip from my tires.. The poor michelins dont stand a chance with the twin turbos getting after it.

Old 05-06-2014, 12:04 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
BTW all D/I vehicles have the sooty tips. Completely normal

Old 05-06-2014, 11:14 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
BTW all D/I vehicles have the sooty tips. Completely normal
^^^this! Look at the tip on any DI VW/Audi/Porsche they all have a nice black coating. It's just the nature of the beast. I'll gladly spend a few extra minutes washing an exhaust tip in exchange for the benefits of DI.

Old 05-06-2014, 12:10 PM
Thanks for the info,all my other vehicles if theres black soot its rich as hell. Since this is normal that's not my mpg problem,i'll keep looking. thanks again,time to go to the shop have a car to paint today.

Old 05-10-2014, 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by Wookie
^^^this! Look at the tip on any DI VW/Audi/Porsche they all have a nice black coating. It's just the nature of the beast. I'll gladly spend a few extra minutes washing an exhaust tip in exchange for the benefits of DI.
This is my first DI engine and it stumbles a few times immediately after a cold start. In aircraft engines this sort of thing is called "morning sickness" and it's a symptom of carbon buildup in the valve guides that will cause a valve to stick. I can tell you that if you experience a stuck valve in flight it will get your attention and everyone who is with you will notice too.

My engine is too new to have morning sickness, but my ear notices the stumble or two and I've been thinking WTF. But, it is getting great gas mileage and I just had 17.2 mpg pulling a trailer at 72 mph w 2300 miles on the engine. No trailer and I am over 19 mpg at freeway speed. Glad to learn DI engines do this as normal ops.

Last edited by j2014_F150; 05-12-2014 at 11:42 AM.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:46 PM
Mine has 40K on it and it gets about 14 to 16 mpg depending on how much I let it idle. Seems to do much better when it is warmer out than when its cold. This is my second eboost and my other 2013 with a 3.73 gear got better mileage than my current one with a 3.55 gear. Doesn't make much sense really.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:19 AM
i notice when I am pulling a trailer the tip gets pretty soot covered rather fast. But when I unhook and drive around normally for a few days it clears itself off. and yeah cold start and go she'll smoke for a while! So far I am happy with the eco...pulled 17 MPG last tank with only 25% highway. though my lifetime average is lower than my 04 right now due to long distance trailer pulling at 10 MPH. No matter what I'm hooked up too, if it has any weight to it I seem to get 10...period. That's the magic number.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Whats your tip look like ?