2013 ecoboost FX 4 blown motor

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 09:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 ecoboost FX 4 blown motor

I just bought a 2013 ecoboost FX 4 the truck has 3100 miles on was driving one day and started hearing a noise like the lifter drove straight to dealer got a call next day they said I needed a new motor. The truck still had plenty of power not hesitation nothing all gauges read normal anyone else hear of anything like this?any feed back is greatly appreciated.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:19 PM
Thank goodness it's covered under warranty!!

Old 04-21-2014, 09:45 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
What did they say was wrong with it?

Old 04-22-2014, 08:30 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluejay
What did they say was wrong with it?

This. Hard to beleive that you need a new motor when it still has plenty of power. Need a lot more information before even making a guess aobut this!

Old 04-22-2014, 10:43 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
My 13 4x4 lariat eco also got a new motor. Loud clatter like loud lifter also, dealer said it was ok.later turned into a clatter plus a loud knock just off idle ,followed rpm. Oh and also fuel mileage sucked. Dealer found a lot of metal in oil and filter , after a few days ford authorized a new motor. Sucks when this noise started at 200 mile , was replaced at 2000 mile. Never found out what failed. ford wanted old motor left complete and shipped new motor. This was in December of 2013. They said you need a new motor that quick,i wonder if there is a tsb or a secret ford only knows problem with these things. Just saying; oh ya other then the clatter and knock it actually ran ok and plenty of power.

Last edited by mtnmanut; 04-22-2014 at 10:45 AM.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:45 AM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ds5200
I just bought a 2013 ecoboost FX 4 the truck has 3100 miles on was driving one day and started hearing a noise like the lifter drove straight to dealer got a call next day they said I needed a new motor. ...
ds5200,

Let me take a look. PM me your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info.

Ashley

Old 04-22-2014, 12:19 PM
Sounds like they want the motors left intact to determine why the issue is happening.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
X2.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:33 PM
Sadly, I am following a thread on the other forum about a blown Ecoboost engine. His is a 2011 with 25k miles on it. He, however, was tuned using canned SCT tunes and the dealership is denying his warranty claim. If the mods allow it, I'll post a link. There is another thread over there that has a poll of those with blown Eco motors and whether they were tuned or not. I think it is 50-50 right now between being stock and being tuned. But I am seeing quite a few more stories about blown Eco motors.

Disclaimer:

Just because I happen to drive a 5.0 DOES NOT mean I am bashing the Ecoboost motor. Because I know how these threads end up.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:15 AM
Yeah they are bypassing that act about still having to do warranty work when mods are being used. Now a lot of contracts have it specifically in there that they will not cover it if it is modded. They made it in the contracts so most of those people in those threads about their engine blowing are screwed since they tuned them.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:58 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by il_duce
Sadly, I am following a thread on the other forum about a blown Ecoboost engine. His is a 2011 with 25k miles on it. He, however, was tuned using canned SCT tunes and the dealership is denying his warranty claim. If the mods allow it, I'll post a link. There is another thread over there that has a poll of those with blown Eco motors and whether they were tuned or not. I think it is 50-50 right now between being stock and being tuned. But I am seeing quite a few more stories about blown Eco motors.

Disclaimer:

Just because I happen to drive a 5.0 DOES NOT mean I am bashing the Ecoboost motor. Because I know how these threads end up.
Thankyou for not bashing us: Those of us that have lots of problems are already getting enough from FORD

Old 04-23-2014, 12:01 PM
Just got off phone with dealership truck had been there 10 days still not touched when I asked why it needs a motor they told me we didn't tear it down yet bit they know it needs a motor then they told me it's going to be a month at least they have another motor job before me. When I asked for a loaner they told me no because I didn't have an extended warranty really??!!

Old 04-23-2014, 12:10 PM
Mountmanut my truck sounded exactly how you explained it

Old 04-23-2014, 11:42 PM
Wow that sucks. So I think if anyone is planning on getting an ecoboost in the future..get all the warranties you can. I can't believe they have had problems like this for 4 years and still have no clue what's going wrong. I've been thinking that my next truck would be and ecoboost but now I'm thinking 5.0 would be more reliable. I would still want an ecoboost but don't want to be in and out of dealerships every month. My girlfriend's ram had a little stint for a few months so like once a month for 3 or 4 months we went in and that was a pain.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:40 AM
Originally Posted by timmypstyle
Wow that sucks. So I think if anyone is planning on getting an ecoboost in the future..get all the warranties you can. I can't believe they have had problems like this for 4 years and still have no clue what's going wrong. I've been thinking that my next truck would be and ecoboost but now I'm thinking 5.0 would be more reliable. I would still want an ecoboost but don't want to be in and out of dealerships every month. My girlfriend's ram had a little stint for a few months so like once a month for 3 or 4 months we went in and that was a pain.
The 5.0 has its problems too. So have other F150 engines. And remember, the people on these forums likely make up less than 5% of all F150 owners. People come to a forum for likely 3 reasons:

1.) To show off their truck and their hard work
2.) To seek help in fixing something or to provide others help in fixing something
And the big one, 3.) To complain about something that went wrong with their vehicle.

Not that complaining is a bad thing. If something went wrong with my truck, I'd be on here venting too (maybe not).

Quick Reply: 2013 ecoboost FX 4 blown motor