ecoboost catch can questions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 05:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just picked up a '14 eco screw about 3 weeks ago. So far love it. After reading on the net for a while I discovered the whole gas in oil issue that most seem to have. I've only got about 450 miles on it so I wasn't expecting to smell any gas in my oil yet but low and behold, it's there. It's not strong but you can smell it.* Now on to my questions. I've searched and searched and can't seem to find any hard evidence, just claims. I've been reading a lot about the rx catch cans and they seem like they've got it figured out. They claim that it will eliminate the cac condensation issues as well as the gas and water in the oil. To those that have installed an rx catch can did it eliminate the gas in oil problems? Like before the rx could you smell fuel in the oil or have Blackstone or Polaris say there was gas in the oil, and then install an rx after that did the gas smell go away or have any Blackstone or Polaris UOAs that show the fuel has gone away? I'm seriously considering ordering on but I'd kinda like to know from first hand experience if it did fix the problem. Not just claims that it will. Tuner boost not that I'm doubting you, I've read piles and piles of threads from and seen your credentials, definitely seem like you know your stuff.* If this has been covered I apologize, it's a known fact I'm blinder then a bat and have probably missed it.

Last edited by Bluejay; 04-13-2014 at 06:07 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:25 AM
I've seen several catch cans that do in fact do there job. Some of the stuff that gets dumped out is scary. I dont think you will likley need one but if it gives you peace of mind then that alone is worth more than the price of one. as for the gas smell so early on, I say give your engine enough time to break in. I would suspect what your smelling is more than normal with only 450 miles.

Congrats on the new purchase, I hope it gives you many smiles and lots of miles.

Old 04-19-2014, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by Rock Krusher
just picked up a '14 eco screw about 3 weeks ago. So far love it. After reading on the net for a while I discovered the whole gas in oil issue that most seem to have. I've only got about 450 miles on it so I wasn't expecting to smell any gas in my oil yet but low and behold, it's there. It's not strong but you can smell it.* Now on to my questions. I've searched and searched and can't seem to find any hard evidence, just claims.

Yes, SNAKE OIL sales claims. Divide the number of ounces of whatever is in the catch can by the number of ounces of fuel burned to accumulate those ounces and you have you answer.

Negligible effect on FE/performance. Unless you're running a SUPERTUNE, say 800HP from a showroom purchase Corvette engine like has been often touted...

I've been reading a lot about the rx catch cans and they seem like they've got it figured out.

...got it figured out.... Yes, for the likes of the 800HP Corvette engine. For myself if I were running that level of aftermarket tuning I would just vent to atmosphere and be done with it.

They claim that it will eliminate the cac condensation issues as well as the gas and water in the oil.

PURE BS.... The main catch can SNALE OIL SHILLER, Tuner Boost (F150forum.com), is now advocating drilling a hole in the CAC to "vent" the condensate. After you install his catch can, of course.

To those that have installed an rx catch can did it eliminate the gas in oil problems? Like before the rx could you smell fuel in the oil or have Blackstone or Polaris say there was gas in the oil, and then install an rx after that did the gas smell go away or have any Blackstone or Polaris UOAs that show the fuel has gone away? I'm seriously considering ordering on but I'd kinda like to know from first hand experience if it did fix the problem. Not just claims that it will. Tuner boost not that I'm doubting you, I've read piles and piles of threads from and seen your credentials, definitely seem like you know your stuff.*

...know your stuff.*... Yes, if you go aftermarket tuning, HP well above factory ship, you will need to seriously consider modifying the PCV (and EGR?) system in some manner. That's where Tuner Boost's expertise gained from past experience (no book learn'n, obviously) SHINES.

If this has been covered I apologize, it's a known fact I'm blinder then a bat and have probably missed it.
Drill a hole, leave the factory PCV system alone.

Last edited by wwest40; 04-19-2014 at 12:19 PM.

Quick Reply: ecoboost catch can questions.