Power steering type whine Ecoboost Engine

Old 02-24-2014, 11:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power steering type whine Ecoboost Engine

Hello all, I have a 2013 F150/Ecoboost.
It has developed a noise similar to power steering whine.(yes I know the steering is electric). It increases and decreases in pitch and intensity with throttle. It is evident in park and drive. The Shop Forman thinks it is from the left turbo and is normal. I call BS on that.

Anyone else have this issue??

Thanks

Old 02-24-2014, 10:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Stratodriver
It has developed a noise similar to power steering whine.(yes I know the steering is electric). It increases and decreases in pitch and intensity with throttle. It is evident in park and drive. The Shop Forman thinks it is from the left turbo and is normal. I call BS on that.

Thanks
No, not a problem here. Have you checked the idler pulleys? Or possibly a water pump........

Old 02-24-2014, 11:25 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The turbos are mostly heard when they start to spool up. Find somewhere you can be next to a brick or metal building or even better an alley with tall walls or tunnel Roll the windows down and from a slow roll (2-3 MPH) and roll into the throttle and listen. If you hit the gas about 1/3 -1/2 way down there's about a 2 second period where you can really hear them. If you get into it too hard and quick the engine noise drowns them out. Try this and report back.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:31 PM
Could be a potential "boost leak".

If you're under warranty, might run it into the shop and see if the techs can do a quick check.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:53 AM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks
Stratodriver,

My name is Ashley and I'm the new Ford Customer Service rep here on the forum. I'm happy to look into this for you and see how I can help. Just PM me your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info.

Ashley

Old 03-03-2014, 11:07 AM
Originally Posted by Charlie5280
Could be a potential "boost leak".

If you're under warranty, might run it into the shop and see if the techs can do a quick check.
She just turned 10K(6200ish miles) I did bring it in to Ford and it was the Foreman at the dealership that suspects the left turbo to be faulty. The noise is exactly that of a power steering pump low on fluid. That is what is so odd about it.

It really does sound mechanical in nature to me, and not that of a free spooling turbo wheel. Also it is directly related to throttle. In other words I can just bump the throttle and the noise changes pitch. Not something a turbo would do as it is a free spool driven by exhaust gasses........strange. Idler pulley, or water pump as a possibility.....see now to me that makes a little more sense.

At any rate I will definitely keep all posted, thanks for the response.

As far as I go. I Am both an Automotive, and Heavy Duty Tech although I have moved on from those fields. I remember the principles so unless there is some drastic change in turbo function and operation that I don't know about, my trucks problem puzzles me.

2013 Ford F150/FX4 Ecoboost my first new vehicle, absolutely love my truck.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:15 AM
Originally Posted by Wookie
The turbos are mostly heard when they start to spool up. Find somewhere you can be next to a brick or metal building or even better an alley with tall walls or tunnel Roll the windows down and from a slow roll (2-3 MPH) and roll into the throttle and listen. If you hit the gas about 1/3 -1/2 way down there's about a 2 second period where you can really hear them. If you get into it too hard and quick the engine noise drowns them out. Try this and report back.
Hi Joe,

Funny you say that. I park underground so thats where I heard the suspect "whine" in the first place. It is definitely different than the whistling from the turbos as they spool up going out of the garage. Which I love to hear btw...lol

Old 03-03-2014, 11:17 AM
Originally Posted by aussiekeeper
No, not a problem here. Have you checked the idler pulleys? Or possibly a water pump........
Good point,

I will mention this to the dealer on the 10th. Thanks.

Old 03-03-2014, 12:55 PM
Interested on the outcome of this one. Keep us posted!

Old 03-14-2014, 11:23 PM
Ok so I had it in the shop. They replaced the turbo, sound is much less now. Who knew.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:49 AM
Sorry it has been awhile.
So here's the deal it wasn't the turbo like I said to them in the first place. I brought it back several times at the cost of car rentals bla bla. Finally some wizard had the sense (after I told them twice) to pull the serpentine belt of and they finally replaced the alternator. Noise is gone. The not so funny part is the were gonna put a front pump on the tranny.......who teaches these people!!

The personal cost to me was a rental car, and scratches to my left fender, and box at the rear (worst parking lot in the world, long story....but I'm pissed).

I have to bring it back so they can try and buff the finish to get the scratches out but the engine is top shelf once again.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:28 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Thanks for keeping us posted on the fix. It's really frustrating when those that should know better mess up your paint. Gods luck with that.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:19 PM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
Thanks for keeping us posted on the fix. It's really frustrating when those that should know better mess up your paint. Gods luck with that.
Yeah it is, however I am confident they will make it right. Cheers

Old 04-20-2014, 11:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dealerships are really hit or miss. Some of the tech will be really good and some can't change the oil right. It's all the luck of the draw as to which one you get.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:17 AM
Thanks for posting on this my 2013 is doing the exact same thing

Sorry it has been awhile.
So here's the deal it wasn't the turbo like I said to them in the first place. I brought it back several times at the cost of car rentals bla bla. Finally some wizard had the sense (after I told them twice) to pull the serpentine belt of and they finally replaced the alternator. Noise is gone. The not so funny part is the were gonna put a front pump on the tranny.......who teaches these people!!

The personal cost to me was a rental car, and scratches to my left fender, and box at the rear (worst parking lot in the world, long story....but I'm pissed).

I have to bring it back so they can try and buff the finish to get the scratches out but the engine is top shelf once again.
So it was the alternator correct? I am taking mine in next week and want to know what to tell them. Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power steering type whine Ecoboost Engine