Ecoboost CAI, K&N vs Airaid

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 09:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ecoboost CAI, K&N vs Airaid

I've narrowed my choice down between these two. I'm only going to listen to reviews from people that actually have one of these systems on their ecoboost.

Airaid

K&N

I can get them for around the same price, I like the huge filter on the Airaid more than the smaller filter on the K&N. However, I like that the K&N kit comes with plumbing and smooth bellows for a less restrictive flow compared to the stock bellow'd plumbing the Airaid utilizes. From K&N's and Airaid's dyno sheets it seems the Airaid makes more power. Although, I'm not sold on manufactures being completely honest in that area.

If the K&N's filter was the size of the Airaid's I would already have purchased the K&N.

I want to hear reviews from people that have these systems on their ecoboost, pros and cons. Thanks.

Old 02-02-2014, 10:08 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Ruthless Robbie
I've narrowed my choice down between these two. I'm only going to listen to reviews from people that actually have one of these systems on their ecoboost.

Airaid

K&N

I can get them for around the same price, I like the huge filter on the Airaid more than the smaller filter on the K&N. However, I like that the K&N kit comes with plumbing and smooth bellows for a less restrictive flow compared to the stock bellow'd plumbing the Airaid utilizes. From K&N's and Airaid's dyno sheets it seems the Airaid makes more power. Although, I'm not sold on manufactures being completely honest in that area.

If the K&N's filter was the size of the Airaid's I would already have purchased the K&N.

I want to hear reviews from people that have these systems on their ecoboost, pros and cons. Thanks.
Hi.

You can certainly ignore me - however, despite yer choice to do so, anyone on here has the perfect right to comment, regardless. Open forum discussion is encouraged, not suppressed.

Yer permission is not required. Any histrionics on your part will be ignored in kind (bad tempers are for kids).

OK - having said that, ....

I'd be much more concerned with the fact that BOTH of those relocate the slot-style MAF into a new venturi region. Hence - it behooves you to at least have open-loop A/F's measured, as that is a well-known potential for MAF skew, and attendant fueling issues.

Roto-molded plastics as used in WAI construction have a +/- 10% dimensional tolerance - that alone suggests the MAF TF may be skewed suboptimally.

And, like you mentioned concerning manufacturer's clams w.r.t suspect power gains I would also not trust their claims that no tuning adjustments are required. Not without independent verification.

Direct measurement is the only way to know for sure. Good news is, apparently these new trucks already have wideband O2's - should make the shop's job easier. So - if you really care for yer truck, at least get it checked by a competent tuning facility.

In a stock EB, with factory tune, filter sizes and bellows mean bupkis - these intakes, including the STOCK intake already handily outflow the stock engine's requirements. So there is very little to gain save for looks. The bellows are actually a good idea, as they help quell any vibration from the very long assembly.

Add an aggressive custom tune, new intake manifold and other significant output-increasing mods, then yes I can see the need to explore better breathing. But stock? Nupe. Yer just lightening yer wallet ( but it IS yer wallet, lol).

Remember to keep an eye on the MAF for filter oil migration. Clean it as necessary - or run a Good dry filter.

But - yer not listening, so just consider this to be my own typing, sentence structure and grammar practice

If you ARE, though, this'n's fer yall

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 02-02-2014 at 10:29 AM.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:36 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Ecoboost F150 doesn't have a MAF. That thingy that looks like a MAF is an IAT (Intake Air Temperature)sensor .

Old 02-02-2014, 10:39 AM
Originally Posted by NASSTY
The Ecoboost F150 doesn't have a MAF. That thingy that looks like a MAF is an IAT (Intake Air Temperature)sensor .
Hi.

Sure looks like one, lol.

Rockauto shows one fer a 2011 EB ( I DID look first, y'know, lol)

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...&parttype=5128

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...866&cc=1447396

Then there is this: http://www.f150forum.com/f38/2011-ma...oboost-134917/

Ahhhh ... the plot thickens, lol, I plugged in that part # and found: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...=299642&page=5

NASSTY, my good buddy, looks like yer right - that part resolves to a MAP with integral IAT sensing. The fellers over on F150forum be confuded too, eh?

AND - the Service manual be incorrect!

What's it use then? Don't tell me it's SD!

Always willing to be edumacated! Thanks!

Oh - hi, Robbie ! You can ignore the 'MAF' portions of my post - ever'thang else kin stay

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 02-02-2014 at 11:39 AM.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:17 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Robbie, you should start searching the web for dyno sheets. K&N says I'm supposed to get +11rwhp with my intake, but I hardly believe that.

There was a guy that posted in this section when the EB first came out (you can try searching for it). He did a stock run, a run with an intake, and a run with the intake and a 5-star custom tune. I think he gained a few ponies with the intake, but got +30rwhp with the tune. If you want power, go with that.

Old 02-02-2014, 11:51 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Hi.

What's it use then? Don't tell me it's SD!
I believe it does. Old school but it works well with the wide band 02s.

Old 02-02-2014, 11:54 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Raptor05121
Robbie, you should start searching the web for dyno sheets. K&N says I'm supposed to get +11rwhp with my intake, but I hardly believe that.

There was a guy that posted in this section when the EB first came out (you can try searching for it). He did a stock run, a run with an intake, and a run with the intake and a 5-star custom tune. I think he gained a few ponies with the intake, but got +30rwhp with the tune. If you want power, go with that.
There's a lot more than +30 from a 5* tune on the EB.

Old 02-02-2014, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by NASSTY
I believe it does. Old school but it works well with the wide band 02s.
Hi & thankee!

Yessir - I've been doin' some more readin' ... elegant for sure....

Ha - can you see history repeating itself? A MAF conversion for EB's

Time to roll out me new siggie!

MGD

Old 02-03-2014, 10:02 AM
Hmm, 7 responses and not a single one of them are from people that have a k&n or airaid on their ecoboost and sharing their experience. All responses have been about MAF's, tunes, etc. I understand if this was just one odd ball out of the group, but every single response? Come on guys, this is like reverse evolution.

Last edited by Ruthless Robbie; 02-03-2014 at 10:04 AM.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:30 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Robbie i sent you a PM

Old 02-03-2014, 11:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nobody has pointed out the fact that these are not closed box systems .... after all a turbos worst enemy is heat.

Ditch those open engine bay heat suckers and go for a closed box system.

http://www.stage3motorsports.com/pro...FY9lOgodMT4ATw

Old 02-03-2014, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by Pockets
Nobody has pointed out the fact that these are not closed box systems .... after all a turbos worst enemy is heat.

Ditch those open engine bay heat suckers and go for a closed box system.

http://www.stage3motorsports.com/pro...FY9lOgodMT4ATw
Stage 3 did a dyno pull with the closed box compared to the open box. There was ALOT of difference between the 2.. The open box pulled out alot better numbers.. I will try to find it.

Found it. They lost 20 hp by going to the closed box system

Post number 2

http://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/30....html#post1970

Last edited by KingRanchCoy; 02-03-2014 at 01:46 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
Stage 3 did a dyno pull with the closed box compared to the open box. There was ALOT of difference between the 2.. The open box pulled out alot better numbers.. I will try to find it.

Found it. They lost 20 hp by going to the closed box system

Post number 2

http://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/30....html#post1970
I saw that. Initially I liked the bully dog intake but its a closed box system and after reading that the closed box intakes were robbing alot of hp on the dyno I decided against it. Thats why I'm torn between the airaid and the k&n.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:44 PM
I installed the AFE system including ALL suggested parts from New Air intake to throttle body spacer and stage 2 open box intake, with dual filters. The added AFE cat back 4 inch exhaust. Truck gets up and moves out. I use it for heavy towing. F150 4x4 Scab XLT .

Old 02-03-2014, 03:40 PM
Originally Posted by Ruthless Robbie
I saw that. Initially I liked the bully dog intake but its a closed box system and after reading that the closed box intakes were robbing alot of hp on the dyno I decided against it. Thats why I'm torn between the airaid and the k&n.
from what i have heard id go with the airaid.

Quick Reply: Ecoboost CAI, K&N vs Airaid