Lost Confidence In Ecoboost

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 04:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Lost Confidence In Ecoboost

Add me to the list of folks getting rid of their Ecoboost F150's. I really liked the thing as it had unreal power for towing our 18' travel trailer and I can't say I was disappointed in the gas mileage either (average in the 17-18 mpg range). But I had a water in the Intercooler incident that scared the crap out of me so am dumping the Ecoboost and have traded for the 5.0 V8. Had driven through lots of rain and when I went to pass a truck the engine cut out as I got along side the truck, would not accelerate, just left me sitting there with no power, so I braked and was lucky enough to have the fellow behind me recognize the situation as he let me tuck in behind the truck (two lane highway). The engine then regained power but had a slight miss and threw a code (PO306-misfire on cylinder 6). The dealer was great to work with and performed the TSB 13-8-1 but I don't believe that is the answer. I don't believe that Ford has provided the dealers a true fix. Other engines have had Intercoolers without these problems so am assuming that it is mostly a problem with design.

As a side note, I looked at the 2014 Chevy Silverado but decided against trading for one as it only has the 26 gallon gas tank, has small mirrors, has a rear seatback that is angled almost upright & was uncomfortable (in the Supercab model), and I did not like having the steering wheel offset from the middle of the drivers seat. Have liked the F150 except for this problem of engine stalling.

Old 11-03-2013, 05:00 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
That's too bad. I would feel the same way. Hope the new truck treats you well. What year I'd it?

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

Old 11-04-2013, 12:44 AM
So basically you assumed it was moisture that caused the problem, and didn't check spark plug gapping. Misfires happen all the time regardless of what make your driving. You can also drill a small hole in the bottom of the CAC that would allow any water to be pushed out.

Regardless good luck with the v8.

Old 11-04-2013, 02:01 AM

That seems pretty darn drastic for one bad incident . . . and that's coming from someone that does and always has not cared for the ecoboosts at all. I guess if it scared you that badly, it's okay, but still.

But oh well! Now you've got the right engine that isn't finicky and doesn't sound like a foreign ricer haha

Old 11-04-2013, 08:17 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Instead of 'drill baby drill', (and the attendant pucker-factor) what aboot one o' the CAC's listed here (depending upon model year)?

http://www.morepowertuning.com/Cooling_c_3055.html

I have to agree with KMART and Prime; kinda drastic to step down to a peaky, weak, 5slow when it is so readliy addressed with a measly $1k expenditure. And get a cooler, denser air charge to boot!

Y'all kin have yey CAC an' eat it too!

Cheers

Last edited by MGDfan; 11-04-2013 at 09:13 AM.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:25 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Be sure to keep a eye on the oil level of your 5.slow.. They seem to burn atleast a quart if not more of oil between oil changes when the miles start to add up and also youtube 5.0 f150 ticking/knocking. Other than that it should be a good truck, you will just get to places a little slower.

Its a well known problem that the spark plug gaps are all over the place from the factory on the 11 and 12's but since you didnt want to try to fix that problem or see if the tsb worked for the intercooler dont guess it matters now

Last edited by KingRanchCoy; 11-04-2013 at 09:50 AM.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:35 AM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
Be sure to keep a eye on the oil level of your 5.slow.. They seem to burn atleast a quart if not more of oil between oil changes when the miles start to add up and also youtube 5.0 f150 ticking/knocking. Other than that it should be a good truck, you will just get to places a little slower.
You say that as if every 5.0 has oil consumption (burning?) issues and ticks and knocks.

Wrong.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I can't believe you ate all that depreciation. Seems crazy to me.

Old 11-04-2013, 12:22 PM
Originally Posted by DewserB
You say that as if every 5.0 has oil consumption (burning?) issues and ticks and knocks.

Wrong.
Of course not every 5.0 is going to have the issue, just like the 5.4 cam phasers not everyone had problems but alot did.

Ive been around tire testing all my life where they use truck's to run 60 to 80,000 miles testing these tires. They are drove 800 miles a day (400 miles during the day then 400 miles during the night) 5 days a week it doesnt take long to get alot of miles on the vehicles. Every 5.0 that the company has had has burned oil from new.. How much oil? Thats hard to say cause all the trucks are different.. Most are around a quart every 5,000 miles and some are as much as 2 quarts every 5000 miles. They all have over 250,000 miles on em and other than one truck they are still going.. A few transmissions along the way but thats to be expected with atleast 250,000 miles on all of them

Same way with the ecoboosts they had a turbo go out on one and a few trannys other than that they were fine. No problems at all with the intercooler and some of these 11 ecoboosts have close to 350k on them.

My neighbors 2013 5.0 bought 2 months ago has been nothing but a pos as he puts it.. I talked great about my truck so he went and got the v8.. Nothing but problems but it may be the dealer also. He is a die hard chevy guy and already talking about trading it in for a new 14 Silverado.

I know alot of people that has the 5.0 and its been rock solid..

So why dont you just agree that every 5.0 is NOT perfect just like the ecoboost but they are both good engines.

Last edited by KingRanchCoy; 11-04-2013 at 12:32 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:45 PM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy

So why dont you just agree that every 5.0 is NOT perfect just like the ecoboost but they are both good engines.

You first!

Seriously, I've gone on record here many, many times about how good all three F150 engines are. I'm sorry you missed those. But what I don't want to do is generalize what could very well be isolated issues (based upon several factors) as inherent issues specific to one engine or the other; even though it looks like there are more recurring issues with the ecoboost engines.

I just checked my oil. I'm due for a change in 500 miles, and I've logged a few rougher miles this go around. At 28k miles on the clock, the oil is about 1/16 of an inch below the top "full" line. I can live with that. No ticking or knocking, either. Just a sweet, smooth V8 rumble.

Old 11-04-2013, 12:59 PM
glc
Received 760 Likes on 704 Posts
Even if it burns 2 quarts in 5k, that's still well within limits. I worry about engines that DON'T burn some oil, that means the oil may not be getting everywhere it needs to! You kids don't know what oil burning is, when I was in the business many years ago we thought only a quart in 2k was doing REAL well.

Old 11-04-2013, 01:13 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
Even if it burns 2 quarts in 5k, that's still well within limits. I worry about engines that DON'T burn some oil, that means the oil may not be getting everywhere it needs to! You kids don't know what oil burning is, when I was in the business many years ago we thought only a quart in 2k was doing REAL well.
Exactly. Mine burns a quart in 5000, same as my old 5.4, and that is fine with me. When they use a small amount, they usually do the same for a very long life whereas one that uses almost no oil can wear quicker and start drinking oil later on.

Old 11-04-2013, 01:22 PM
You old farts really need to understand we are not in the 70's.. Burning oil is not cool

Old 11-04-2013, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by DewserB

You first!
Dewser, i have never said the ecoboost is a perfect engine, I know it has had its problems and i will be the first to tell someone this. but seems like the people on the v8 side doesnt want to hear that the 5.0 has had a few problems also.. I was just telling you my experience with both truck.

Do a google search of 5.0 burning oil and ticking/knocking. you will prob. be surprised.

Just a quick type into youtube and first vids that popped up

Last edited by KingRanchCoy; 11-04-2013 at 01:36 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:37 PM
glc
Received 760 Likes on 704 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluejay
Exactly. Mine burns a quart in 5000, same as my old 5.4, and that is fine with me. When they use a small amount, they usually do the same for a very long life whereas one that uses almost no oil can wear quicker and start drinking oil later on.

I bought my 4.2 with 55k on it, and it used a quart every 6k. Now it has 172k on it and it burns a quart every 6k.

Quick Reply: Lost Confidence In Ecoboost