New F150 ecoboost - engine fans stuck on high

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 06:52 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
My fans seldom come on and the only time I really notice them is if I just shut off the engine and they are still going.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluejay
My fans seldom come on and the only time I really notice them is if I just shut off the engine and they are still going.
Ditto for the 3.7 electric fans.

Old 04-18-2014, 11:02 AM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by old ford
I just bought a new 2014 F150 with the V6 Ecoboost. First V6 in my big truck and I am so unhappy with this fan issue. We can be stopped at a red light and the fan kicks into high gear ...
old ford,

Have you been to your dealer to have them take a look at this? Send me a PM with your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info, and I'll see what I can do to help.

Ashley

Old 04-21-2014, 10:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello Old Ford; It's been about 8 months now since I originally posted this topic and things have gotten better for me. During really hot temperatures the fans still kick in (obviously) but not nearly as much as they used to when the engine was brand new. We're in April now (I am in Texas) and we have had a couple of warm days already - probably similar to Florida - and I don't recall having this issue anymore for quite some time.

So I can only come up with a couple of reasons on why that may be - though I have no proof to back these claims up.

1) These are simply break-in pains and will diminish as you get some miles on your truck. I am currently pushing about 10k miles and it has been good for at least the last 5k or so.

2) Also, the manual states that the Ecoboost prefers Premium Fuel (93 here in Texas) in hot weather and/or during towing. So last summer I made the decision to switch to 93 (even though I don't tow) and have stuck with it ever since. I can't say I have experienced much if anything of a MPG increase, but perhaps it just runs a bit better/cooler on premium?

3) Finally, I also switched from the Synthetic Blend Oil Changes to the Full Synthetic oil. No idea why I did that to be honest with you since I used the Synthetic Blend in my former truck for many years without any problems (I change it every 5K and don't really tow) - I guess I just did that thinking it would pamper by baby - but perhaps that has an affect on it as well?

In any case, I really haven't experienced these fans getting stuck in super pursuit turbo mode for quite a while now.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by FordService
old ford,

Have you been to your dealer to have them take a look at this? Send me a PM with your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info, and I'll see what I can do to help.

Ashley
I have sent you the private message. Apparently the 2013 and 2014 Ecoboost engines have this problem but Ford is considering this 'normal'.

I idle this truck frequently so this is not acceptable to me and I now have to take a huge loss on another truck with a V8. Just got home from an intown trip and the temp is 90 outside. The fan ran about 80% of the time. Only when I accelerated to about 50 mpg for 10 minutes - did the fan turn off.
The temperature gauge showed no issues.

A very annoying feature of these engines.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:52 PM
You are also heading into the heat of the summer so good luck!
My ecoboost is going to be gone by the end of this week.

Old 05-24-2014, 10:49 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by FordService
old ford,

Ashley
Thanks Ashley, the ecoboost is now gone and I have been driving my 2014 F150 V8 for a week with no issues... and the day temps have been in the mid 90's. No turbo charged fan issues at all, YA!!!

I have been a Ford customer for over 20 years and 7 new F150s (Hubby has had 9 of his own but hasn't bought since his 2003 Heritage that is still beautiful) so after the salesman & serviceman went for a ride with me, they agreed that the fan noise in the vehicle was a huge annoyance... and the heat buildup under the hood was also concerning.

These engines may be ok north of us but the excessive heat and humidity of south Florida summers is going to kill those ecoboost engines prematurely. Live and learn as I pull my trailer down the highway in peace and quiet!

Old 05-28-2014, 09:22 PM
Thanks Ashley, the ecoboost is now gone and I have been driving my 2014 F150 V8 for a week with no issues... and the day temps have been in the mid 90's. No turbo charged fan issues at all, YA!!!
For what it's worth, I recently purchased a 2014 F150 with the 5.0 V8. My fan is also really loud - when it wants to be. I seem to be able to get mine to calm down if I shut off and restart the engine. I can't remember when I first noticed it, but maybe around 500 or 600 miles. I have about 1,400 on it now, and live in AZ, so there is definitely some heat to contend with. I'll be talking to the dealer about it when I am in for service. Keep your fingers crossed Old Ford. Hopefully you didn't toss out one vehicle for another with the same "feature."

Old 05-29-2014, 01:05 AM
Seems like Old Ford's fans had some manner of issue about them. The E-fans on my 2012 model have only ever kicked into High ONCE and that was when towing a heavy load from San Antonio to North Austin in triple digit heat. Unfortunately for me I wish they'd kick into high more often as the air conditioning SUCKS when stuck in traffic. My '98 Crown Vic can be as cold as a meat-locker even when stuck idling in traffic in the heat. It's single e-fan moves far more air than the twin e-fans on my F150.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:14 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just bought a new 2014 F150 with the V6 Ecoboost. First V6 in my big truck and I am so unhappy with this fan issue. We can be stopped at a red light and the fan kicks into high gear

I really don't care if this is 'usual' - it is annoying. My new truck has 850 miles on it, we live in Florida where we are just starting into the warm weather and there is no way I can put up with this!

Today it ran for the majority of my trip in town. People next to me would look thinking there was some jet engine next to them.

I have never experienced anything like this and am very unhappy.

I am trading this thing in for a V8. I should have looked here first prior to buying and the dealership sold me on the increased power and fuel economy of the V6 - the fuel economy sucks and the power is nothing to write to mom about.
Sounds like you are close to your mom..........WWAAAAAAAA

Have her get you some ear plugs.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:57 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
These engines may be ok north of us but the excessive heat and humidity of south Florida summers is going to kill those ecoboost engines prematurely. Live and learn as I pull my trailer down the highway in peace and quiet!
Maybe im over thinking this but when its hot and humid wouldnt you want more air flow from the fans instead of less?

Oh and i live in West Texas where is 105 to 110 is pretty normal, im not the least bit concerned about premature engine failure due to the heat.

Enjoy your new truck and heaven forbid if the engine fans every kick on high

Old 06-17-2014, 09:56 AM
my 2014 v-8 also is loud as hell it has less than 1000 miles

I just bought a new 2014 F150 with the V6 Ecoboost. First V6 in my big truck and I am so unhappy with this fan issue. We can be stopped at a red light and the fan kicks into high gear

I really don't care if this is 'usual' - it is annoying. My new truck has 850 miles on it, we live in Florida where we are just starting into the warm weather and there is no way I can put up with this!

Today it ran for the majority of my trip in town. People next to me would look thinking there was some jet engine next to them.

I have never experienced anything like this and am very unhappy.

I am trading this thing in for a V8. I should have looked here first prior to buying and the dealership sold me on the increased power and fuel economy of the V6 - the fuel economy sucks and the power is nothing to write to mom about.
these fans are way to loud .i'm going back to the dealer to bitch
my 2014 has less than 1000 miles this noise is ridiculous

Old 06-17-2014, 10:08 AM
I live in ohio my 2014 f-150 fan is noisy at 80 degrees

Originally Posted by greenmotion
Hello Old Ford; It's been about 8 months now since I originally posted this topic and things have gotten better for me. During really hot temperatures the fans still kick in (obviously) but not nearly as much as they used to when the engine was brand new. We're in April now (I am in Texas) and we have had a couple of warm days already - probably similar to Florida - and I don't recall having this issue anymore for quite some time.

So I can only come up with a couple of reasons on why that may be - though I have no proof to back these claims up.

1) These are simply break-in pains and will diminish as you get some miles on your truck. I am currently pushing about 10k miles and it has been good for at least the last 5k or so.

2) Also, the manual st
ates that the Ecoboost prefers Premium Fuel (93 here in Texas) in hot weather and/or during towing. So last summer I made the decision to switch to 93 (even though I don't tow) and have stuck with it ever since. I can't say I have experienced much if anything of a MPG increase, but perhaps it just runs a bit better/cooler on premium?

3) Finally, I also switched from the Synthetic Blend Oil Changes to the Full Synthetic oil. No idea why I did that to be honest with you since I used the Synthetic Blend in my former truck for many years without any problems (I change it every 5K and don't really tow) - I guess I just did that thinking it would pamper by baby - but perhaps that has an affect on it as well?

In any case, I really haven't experienced these fans getting stuck in super pursuit turbo mode for quite a while now.
I never heard such a fan noise on any vehicle in my life not even 1000 miles on it .It's going back to the dealer this is ridiculous

Old 06-17-2014, 10:16 AM
As said earlier in the thread, the high fan speed is "normal" on 13-14 trucks. The reason is because they were getting complaints on the AC performance, so they had to increase fan speed when over 100* ambient and AC on. These trucks have huge cabs, it takes a lot to cool them off....

Also, Old Ford, good luck with the V8, they have the same fan speed strategy...

Old 06-17-2014, 11:30 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by azmidget91

Also, Old Ford, good luck with the V8, they have the same fan speed strategy...

Quick Reply: New F150 ecoboost - engine fans stuck on high