Randon engine stalling - P2104 and P2112 codes HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 09:24 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Randon engine stalling - P2104 and P2112 codes HELP!

2005 F150 4.2v6 Automatic 170k miles. Truck running fine prior to this happening, idles fine, drives fine, no issues.

About 2 weeks ago, out of the blue, running 70mph on a mult-lane interstate, I completely lose power, "wrench" light on the dash comes on (never done that before), I am somehow able to cross 3 lanes of traffic while coasting, come to a safe stop on the shoulder of the interstate. Turn the truck off, and it starts back up and runs normal the rest of the day. Two days later it does the same thing on a 2 lane road. A few days later it does it again, but this time, the check engine light stays on. It starts doing it more often and I decide it's time to fix it.

I get codes off the ODB2 of P2104 and P2112. I google this and everywhere it says "clean throttle body" or "replace throttle body assembly".

So I remove and clean the throttle body assembly thoroughly. My truck is one of the newer ones with the "fly by wire" throttle, and newer design throttle body with o-ring instead of gasket. The throttle body is clean, spotless. Moving the throttle butterfly, it moves freely, I thought it was kind of odd that it does not close all the way, I guess that's part of the redesign with no separate idle air circuit.

I cleared the codes and that removed the check engine light. I drive around all day, no issues. Today the damn thing did it again. So I am at a loss.

What do I do now? Replace throttle body or are there any user serviceable parts on the throttle body? I think I read that on these newer throttle bodies there are no user serviceable parts like the TPS or the throttle servo, true?

What are my options on Throttle body replacement? Buy factory, used, new aftermarket? I read some things about if you replace the throttle body you have to have the PCM reprogrammed. Is this true?

I was hoping to have this thing run me another year or so before replacing it, I am not very keen on putting $500 into it right now.

Old 09-03-2012, 02:25 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
I believe it does have a replaceable TPS, but it's more likely the TB is on its way out.

http://www.automotix.net/usedautopar...4fa8&seq_num=2

Looks like used with warranty is fairly affordable.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:28 AM
Originally Posted by glc
I believe it does have a replaceable TPS, but it's more likely the TB is on its way out.

http://www.automotix.net/usedautopar...4fa8&seq_num=2

Looks like used with warranty is fairly affordable.

Is it end user replaceable? I know physically I can do it, but I have found some documentation on the web indicating that the PCM has to be programmed to accept it, do you know if this is true or not?

Old 09-03-2012, 11:26 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
No, I don't.

Old 09-03-2012, 06:55 PM
Ok, anyone else know about that last piece (does it require pcm reprogram?)

Old 09-19-2012, 08:50 PM
Since none of you were very helpful, I went ahead and replaced it, and it works fine

Quick Reply: Randon engine stalling - P2104 and P2112 codes HELP!