3.5 Ecoboost Overheating

Old 07-11-2013, 11:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey guys, thanks for the idea's, to give you an update, I am now dealing with a new tech with a few years more experience, but still had no idea. The TSB intercooler is a good place to start I think, it has always made a "whizzing" sound that comes from under the motor somewhere (maybe air through the catalytic converter?) that gets louder/faster as you accelerate, I've had it in twice now for that sound (this is the third time) and have been told it is a normal sound that the direct fuel injection system makes?! The only time this truck lugs is when it goes into "conservation mode" I kind of have the opinion of some others, if I need to do something "special" or find the right gear in this thing to pull half its capacity, or "baby" it up a hill, something's wrong.
Long story short...they now want me to (again) haul my camper down there and take a ride with a tech so he can hook up his computer, keep in mind, I live in the mountains forty miles away from the dealership...did I mention I've done this before? Apparently that info isn't good enough, despite the fact it did exactly what I said it did...the tech went "uhhh" and nothing was resolved, I was actually told "drive it till it blows" because Ford could find no problems with an ecoboost overheating. To add insult to injury...I told them I was going to come pick up my truck and (come back today) with my camper, dirt bike in the bed, camping gear, tool boxes, full water tanks etc... Somewhere between the garage and the "vehicle pick-up" area, my back-up camera and sync system went out...this will be the second time that has been "fixed". Just keeps getting better...again, thanks for the input, I will keep you posted.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:33 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottyBobby78
Hey guys, thanks for the idea's, to give you an update, I am now dealing with a new tech with a few years more experience, but still had no idea. The TSB intercooler is a good place to start I think, it has always made a "whizzing" sound that comes from under the motor somewhere (maybe air through the catalytic converter?) that gets louder/faster as you accelerate, I've had it in twice now for that sound (this is the third time) and have been told it is a normal sound that the direct fuel injection system makes?! The only time this truck lugs is when it goes into "conservation mode" I kind of have the opinion of some others, if I need to do something "special" or find the right gear in this thing to pull half its capacity, or "baby" it up a hill, something's wrong.
Long story short...they now want me to (again) haul my camper down there and take a ride with a tech so he can hook up his computer, keep in mind, I live in the mountains forty miles away from the dealership...did I mention I've done this before? Apparently that info isn't good enough, despite the fact it did exactly what I said it did...the tech went "uhhh" and nothing was resolved, I was actually told "drive it till it blows" because Ford could find no problems with an ecoboost overheating. To add insult to injury...I told them I was going to come pick up my truck and (come back today) with my camper, dirt bike in the bed, camping gear, tool boxes, full water tanks etc... Somewhere between the garage and the "vehicle pick-up" area, my back-up camera and sync system went out...this will be the second time that has been "fixed". Just keeps getting better...again, thanks for the input, I will keep you posted.
Good luck, i hope they get this straightened out for you.. Id be super pissed.. Good idea on the camper and fully loaded up with everything.

Have you ever been able to catch the overheating on video? That way atleast YOU have proof and then maybe go straight to Corporate?

I never thought about the Cat that could be failing or failed, but that is something that they are suppose to check for with the intercooler tsb. Dont let them tell you its not the intercooler as much as you have had it in there id demand they do the tsb,If they tell you the cat is good id still take it to a exhaust shop to get a second opinion..

If it still does it trade the POS in for a Ram ..

Old 07-13-2013, 04:25 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
ScottyBobby, don't run to the bank with this but ask your service MANAGER in regards to, I think the EB uses a coolant sensor for the dash gauge but the PCM doesn't store this. It reads the head core temp sensor as I remember correctly. Therefore, you could be seeing a coolant sensor that's hyperactive showing a heat issue that's shutting down the PCM to limp mode but there is no actual overheating happening. Your fix could be as easy as a coolant sensor replacement. I'd chat with the service manager (not service writer) about this. Since the PCM is not storing a code or showing an over heat condition, it's obviously a sensor out of range.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This truck sounds like it may need to be bought back. I hope they get it fixed.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:57 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Several years ago, I worked with a guy who overheated his diesel F350 (6.0 I think) towing a 5th wheel over the Rockies. He kept stopping to let it cool off but on one stretch there was no place to stop and he lost his transmission due to the heat. An not so experienced kid at a local dealer rebuilt it and it failed again before he got home.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:31 PM
Just out of curiosity what setup do you have on your truck ScottyBobby78??? What gear ratio? do you have the max tow pkg??

Old 09-05-2013, 05:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey guys! Just wanted to give everyone an update on my overheating and other issues...my truck is currently in the shop as we speak, they have replaced two bad sensors they "think" might have been sending a faulty overheat code, given the fact that there were never any visible signs of overheating. As it turns out, the sound I was hearing this whole time (that my other tech couldn't hear) is a bad turbo...just took having to be an *** and demand to deal with experienced techs and mechanics to find the problem...Within three blocks of driving with my "new" mechanic he promptly informed me without question the sound was a bad turbo and started the process to get a new one "approved" by Ford. They are also fixing the back-up camera (again) as it turns out, the back-up display which is in the main display (not the mirror) is aftermarket, (news to me) but was added on by Ford?! So they are bringing in their vendor to fix that...thanks again for all the feedback, I will keep you posted.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:30 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When you get the truck back try to find out what went wrong with the turbo. The EB uses a specialized version of the K03 which has a pretty good track record for the most part. But of course, anything built with human hands is subject to failure.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by dirt bike dave
Downshifting the transmission and using the recommended fuel is not the same as babying the motor, but whatever.

When he tows the same load in other conditions, no signs of overrheating.

No matter how much the truck costs and what the tow rating is, high load and low rpm generates the highest combustion pressures and temps. Seems like running the recommended premium fuel and downshifting would help alot more than changing dealers.

As for it being transmission related or cooling related, the truck apparently has run flawlessly (besides this one issue) for 18,000 miles...Kind of thinking if he's got a bad tranny or cooling system, he would know.
You SHOULD not have to manually downshift the truck to get it to pull that load. The OP needs to put in a tank of 93 and run the same hill and see what happens. If it overheats again, go see the dealer again.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:06 AM
Suspended
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Seems like an oversensitive sender is the culprit. Of course UR fans may not be coming on too. They should run, if the motor gets hot. If U never have those fans run then they are not running. This can cause the rapid overheating condition and will lead to motor damage sometime soon. Get it checked out at Ford.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:22 AM
Any update?

Old 12-26-2013, 12:55 PM
Suspended
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Quote from Full Race on a thermostat change to cooler value.

There are around 15 tables just for Engine Coolant Temp. So if one was going to add in a 160* thermostat, they have a lot to do to get it to work right. And most of those tables are not defined yet. We tried the 160deg and its just too low and threw a CEL for “insufficient coolant temp”. Basically the lower tstat delays the amount of time before the engine cooling system is saturated and unable to shed heat. However these computers are very sensitive and there is a myriad of maps in the computer that do different things when cold. you may run into issues if you don't monitor your ECT "Engine Coolant Temp” - the computer expects that ~77C is normal operating temp... so really anything below that and the PCM will start doing things it normally wouldn't. There are specific values set for table switching set by the degrees of ECT. If you are running a thermostat below these temps or your new radiator does not allow you to get up to the set value you may not reach all your maps.

Old 07-01-2017, 12:56 PM
Overheating F-150 resolution?

Scotty Bobby 78, did you come to a resolution on your overheating issue? I've got almost the exact same thing going on with my 2012 F150 that I just bought used. I would be very happy to know what you did to fix your problem because I need to go down that same road.

Thank you, Darren

Originally Posted by ScottyBobby78
Just bought a 2011 supercrew Lariat with the 3.5 ecoboost twin turbo with 18,000 miles on it. I live in Evergren Colorado at about 8500ft...in the mountains. Took a trip last weekend to Estes Park, Co and everything was perfect all the way there, tows beautifully never seemed to work at all (my trailer is 24ft and weighs 4200 dry) On the way home we turned the corner and headed up (I-70) into the mountains, approx 4-6% grade. I was in tow/haul mode, trailer was empty of any water/sewer etc, so Im thinking I'm about 5,00lbs Max (1/2 the towing capacity)
I didn't get a mile and the dash starting flashing the "engine overheating" "reducing power" mode, I was doing about 60mph the rpm's never got above around 3000, ambient temp was 82, trans temp was 233, the hot/cold temp was pegged all the way. I pulled over as soon as I could and the temp came down almost immediately, but again as soon as I got back on the highway and started heading uphill again it did the same thing. I took it into Ford, took a ride with one the techs and of course it never went into the "overheat" mode but came close at about 242, the needle was just shy of the redline. We went back to the shop, he called ford and they said they weren't aware of the problem (despite what I see on-line) advised him to do all the generic things (he had already done) and send me on my way with no solution, on my way back up the hill to my house (about 3hrs later) it did the same thing again (went into overheat mode) the ambient temp was 10degrees hotter than it was on the ride with the tech. I bought this SPECIFICALLY for its towing ability which it obvioulsy has but its hard to get anywhere when you have to pull over ever time you go up a hill. This seems to be a rare problem, but a problem none the less.
Anybody that has had this problem ever find a solution?
Scotty Bobby 78, did you come to a resolution on your overheating issue? I've got almost the exact same thing going on with my 2012 F150 that I just bought used. I would be very happy to know what you did to fix your problem because I need to go down that same road.

Thank you, Darren

Old 01-01-2018, 10:07 PM
I'm thinking I might be having a PCM map issue as some of you have mentioned. I have a Livernois tune and the stage 3 kit which includes a 160F thermostat. It was about 15F outside when I went on a half hour ride and the water temp gauge was indicating overheating, if I'd let off - the temp would start going down within a few seconds. Today, I tried the original tstat and no tstat when that didn't work. Pretty much the same results with all those options, seemed worst with no tstat, still the same outside temperature, it can't actually be overheating, I've verified the coolant flows by removing the little anticavitation hose from the reservoir and putting it right into the cap opening, heater core is not hot, radiator hose gets warm, radiator is cool, fans blowing on high. It seems like the pump isn't flowing enough or the temp sensor is nuts, hoping it isn't a bad turbo like what might have happened to the other guy, only have 25k miles on it. I'll have to ask Livernois if they've heard of this tomorrow.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3.5 Ecoboost Overheating