Fuel dilution in the oil ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 08:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel dilution in the oil ?

Has anyone performed a used oil analysis on their EcoBoost engine? I have done two of them and I am making fuel. First sample showed nearly 8% and the second sample which was done on about half the miles of the first sample had nearly 4%. I checked with a buddy that has my exact truck and his sample had fuel in it also. The engine runs fine and I have nearly 25,000 miles on the truck now with nearly 95% highway miles.
george

Old 12-22-2012, 10:52 AM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Your reports are typical for an EcoBoost. Fuel dilution is a major issue with these engines. I've posted this here before. I'd be real concerned for anyone going 7500 miles between oil changes. While the TBN may be holding up, the lubricity and viscosity are dropping like a rock. I look for Ford to lower the OCI to 5000 miles as soon as they get the issues they are having with the EBs straightened out. Kinda hard to drain the swamp when yer up to yer hoonanny in alligators.

Old 12-23-2012, 11:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A quick search on BITOG forums would indicate that its a DI thing, not just Ecoboost. Change the oil more often, cheap insurance.

Old 12-23-2012, 01:10 PM
yep, DI engines dilute the fuel quicker, just like a diesel. Change it 3-5k miles and you're good to go. At 3k my dipstick will have a fuel odor. I know it's about time for the appointment at that point.

Old 12-24-2012, 08:17 AM
Originally Posted by Labnerd
Your reports are typical for an EcoBoost. Fuel dilution is a major issue with these engines. I've posted this here before. I'd be real concerned for anyone going 7500 miles between oil changes. While the TBN may be holding up, the lubricity and viscosity are dropping like a rock. I look for Ford to lower the OCI to 5000 miles as soon as they get the issues they are having with the EBs straightened out. Kinda hard to drain the swamp when yer up to yer hoonanny in alligators.
Thanks for posting as I was getting ready to send you a PM concerning this, as a fellow forum member recommended that I do in PM from him. Even though both my UOA's showed high fuel dilution, wear was in good shape. What I would like to know is where is the safe level of fuel dilution before the engine could be, lets say, put in harms way?
george

Last edited by georgedouglas; 12-24-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:24 AM
Originally Posted by jntibs
A quick search on BITOG forums would indicate that its a DI thing, not just Ecoboost. Change the oil more often, cheap insurance.
I don't think it is a DI thing as you point out. The fuel dilution in diesels is usually caused from the cleaning process or regenration of the particulate exhaust filter thereby causing some fuel to be forced down into the crankcase from around the rings.
george

Old 12-24-2012, 10:24 AM
It IS a DI thing, Google is your friend.............

Old 12-24-2012, 12:43 PM
Originally Posted by aussiekeeper
It IS a DI thing, Google is your friend.............
Sorry about that. I should have known if it is on google it's got to be true.
george

Old 12-24-2012, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by georgedouglas
Sorry about that. I should have known if it is on google it's got to be true.
george
Look up a reliable site.........(takes him by the hand...........)

Old 12-24-2012, 05:19 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
There's a lot to address here but I'll try not to write a book that you wouldn't understand. Most of the fuel dilution numbers you see on reports are what are called "expected results" meaning they didn't really test for it but averagely, this is what they would expect to see IF they actually tested for it. Most labs are using FTIR units to generate your results. These are known to be more accurate than the old spectroscopy units we had to work with years ago. So the resulting numbers are at least "in the ballpark". For a maximum number, 5% WT is absolute max regardless of the basestock of the oil. Note, the number you are seeing as the fuel dilution is by WEIGHT, not by volume. What the report isn't telling you is that the oil is degrading much faster than it should because of the fuel. I addressed oil degradation here at one time and it doesn't have anything to do with the TBN or TAN as such. You can have total failure of the fluid and still have lots of TBN. TBN is the number used to indicate the oils ability to neutralize acids- that's all folks! as Porky would say. But to cut this short, here's some reading for you. Take your time to digest it as it can get complicated for brains not accustomed to all of the condensed data.
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...N4zCx3GhrXuP2A

And so you know, diesel impacts motor oils just like gasoline with smaller differences than you'd expect.

Old 12-26-2012, 01:40 PM
One of the service writer's chastised me for changing my oil at every 4k miles..... Knew it was the right thing to do.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by hydro1
yep, DI engines dilute the fuel quicker, just like a diesel. Change it 3-5k miles and you're good to go. At 3k my dipstick will have a fuel odor. I know it's about time for the appointment at that point.
I wouldn't state this is absolute or just like diesels. Scientific analysis found on a run of the mill 123k mile diesel indicates no notable fuel dilution on a 11k mile sample with recommendation to run 13k.

Anyone have oil analysis results for the EB they can publish?

Old 04-21-2013, 01:47 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
What year is that Dirtymax?

Old 04-21-2013, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by joemac
I wouldn't state this is absolute or just like diesels. Scientific analysis found on a run of the mill 123k mile diesel indicates no notable fuel dilution on a 11k mile sample with recommendation to run 13k.

]

Anyone have oil analysis results for the EB they can publish?
I know I've seen way more Blackstone reports with 6-7% dilution on diesels than <2%. Seen some EB results around 5% dilution. Not bothering with mine. Change it 3-4K, save the money on an analysis and not looking back.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by glc
what year is that dirtymax?

Quick Reply: Fuel dilution in the oil ?