Talked to BG rep today.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 08:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talked to BG rep today.....

Seems there is going to be a problem with crankcase venting and
the EcoBoost. According to the people at BG, their testing has revealed strong deposit build-up behind the intake valves and the head intake runners. I pulled the engine cover off to check the vent hoses and they were filled with oil. These are connected to the cam covers. The right (passenger) side hose connects to the intake plenum and the left side connects to one of the turbo intake hoses. The right side was oil soaked and the left had a little less. The rep said that the deposit build-up is directly caused by the crankcase venting. The left side is pointed in a downward direction, so I am assuming the oil is draining down.
It is a buildup of oil deposits and hardened by heat. I asked them if there is or will be a product to clean this area and he stated that only mechanical scrubbing would clean the debris from the affected area. This buildup will cause poor mileage as well as other problems. The buildup really begins to be a problem around 15,000 miles and escalates from there. So, are there any engineers out there that can design a "catch-can" and filtering device that can eliminate this problem? I know, 6.0 diesels have a similar problem with the intercooler filling up with oil from the same source. Some 6.0 owners have installed home made dump cans and they seem to work well. Interested in hearing any opinions.................

Last edited by aussiekeeper; 03-30-2012 at 11:41 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:41 PM
OK, I found a solution for the problem.............

Old 03-31-2012, 01:22 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Who is BG?

Old 03-31-2012, 09:57 AM
BG chemicals, they did reasearch on the Ecoboost and the future carbon buildup problems they will be having.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:19 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by aussiekeeper
BG chemicals, they did reasearch on the Ecoboost and the future carbon buildup problems they will be having.
Yep.

Good ol' Labnerd had a lock on this issue a year ago - he even posted pics of the crud on the valves after ~15-30K, and stated then that only invasive procedures would clean it out.

No on listened to him then - hopefully that has changed. This is a REAL problem for ANY direct-injected gas motor - GM is having huge problems with theirs ( apparently they have been quietty replacing motors for their DI V6's) - Ford's design is no different.

This is the ONLY thing keeping me out of an Eco ... I flat love it otherwise.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:36 AM
I am going to divert the oil impregnated gasses and filter them before they enter the intake plenum........stay tuned.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keep us posted please!

Old 03-31-2012, 10:46 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I am going to divert the oil impregnated gasses and filter them before they enter the intake plenum........stay tuned.

MGD

Old 03-31-2012, 11:16 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Originally Posted by Wookie
Who is BG?
http://www.bgprod.com/home.html

Similar to Motorvac.

Old 03-31-2012, 12:35 PM
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Yep.

Good ol' Labnerd had a lock on this issue a year ago - he even posted pics of the crud on the valves after ~15-30K, and stated then that only invasive procedures would clean it out.

No on listened to him then - hopefully that has changed. This is a REAL problem for ANY direct-injected gas motor - GM is having huge problems with theirs ( apparently they have been quietty replacing motors for their DI V6's) - Ford's design is no different.

This is the ONLY thing keeping me out of an Eco ... I flat love it otherwise.
VW and a host of others are having the same problem, seems in addition to the deposits the oil in the works, it is reducing the octane rating of the fuel in the combustion chamber. Possibly Labnerd can confirm this action......

Old 03-31-2012, 04:12 PM
Ok, I know of the problems VW has on the earlier DI motors. The problem is the gas that is normally in the intake washes the valves of this junk. Several friends of mine are VW techs. We were talking about coming up with a stand alone fuel injector that runs for a short time when the motor is cold to rinse the crap out of the intake and valves.

I know Ford claimed to have done something different to eliminate/reduce this problem. I might pull the cover off mine and take a look around. I have almost 30k on in now and have not noticed any difference in how it runs. If the problem starts around 15k I should have it twice over.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:28 PM
Ok, I know of the problems VW has on the earlier DI motors. The problem is the gas that is normally in the intake washes the valves of this junk. Several friends of mine are VW techs. We were talking about coming up with a stand alone fuel injector that runs for a short time when the motor is cold to rinse the crap out of the intake and valves.

I know Ford claimed to have done something different to eliminate/reduce this problem. I might pull the cover off mine and take a look around. I have almost 30k on in now and have not noticed any difference in how it runs. If the problem starts around 15k I should have it twice over.
It is obvious they did not remedy the problem. See BG's website and the borescope pictures and text.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:38 PM
It is obvious they did not remedy the problem. See BG's website and the borescope pictures and text.
Where are these pics at? I looked at the BG website and did not see them, just a brief mention of the EB in the SHO. I know it can be a problem on a DI motor but I also tend to be a bit skeptical. Especially when the person screaming the loudest about the problem also sells the cure. This is one of those cases.

If I had a borescope I would take a look at mine and verify what's going on.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:40 PM
[QUOTE=Wookie;4812366] Several friends of mine are VW techs. We were talking about coming up with a stand alone fuel injector that runs for a short time when the motor is cold to rinse the crap out of the intake and valves.

BG attempted this scenario, it didn't work. There needs to be a semi constant spray at operating temp to do an effective wash. This would lead to a very rich condition. The fumes must be nearly eliminated.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:44 PM
Where are these pics at? I looked at the BG website and did not see them, just a brief mention of the EB in the SHO. I know it can be a problem on a DI motor but I also tend to be a bit skeptical. Especially when the person screaming the loudest about the problem also sells the cure. This is one of those cases.

If I had a borescope I would take a look at mine and verify what's going on.
Since EVERY direct injection engine has the problem to some or more of a degree, I see no need to slam BG for its creative investigation in this matter. I don't see a conspiracy here. Just good people doing good work.

Quick Reply: Talked to BG rep today.....