2012 f150 eb motor break in?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 09:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dmckinney33
I am waiting for my pickup as well, sounds like first of next month, we are planning on going camping on memorial day weekend. I hope to get at least 800 miles on it before we tow. Maybe a road trip for a weekend to get it ready. But I'll just take it nice and easy towing for the first time.
Like you, I have a big road trip planned at the end of May so I figure I need to get that 1000 miles on it beforehand. Trouble is, the truck is not here yet. LOL

...ugh

Old 04-05-2012, 10:59 AM
glc
Received 760 Likes on 704 Posts
No matter how many miles you can put on it before towing, remember the other caution - do not make full throttle starts or exceed 70 mph for the first 500 miles of towing.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:05 AM
Good advice, glc. The older I get, the less crazy I get so I rarely drive 70 anyway.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:04 PM
i have always thought following the manual was the best approach instead of listening to weekend mechanics

Old 04-09-2012, 05:21 PM
We have camping plans as well ... no truck .... and need that break in period. lol

Old 04-16-2012, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by nards444
i have always thought following the manual was the best approach instead of listening to weekend mechanics
Yep. Manual says to put on 1000 miles before towing. That's what I am doing. Also, with my trailer tires rated only for 65 mph and safety being my focus (plus better fuel economy), I'll be keeping it around 60-62 tops.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:42 PM
In CA the speed limit for towing is 55 anyways although most people seem to take that as a guideline or recommendation...

And full throttle starts when towing? It concerns me that that isn't obvious....

This post is hopefully getting me closer to being a qualified member so that I can use the trackign forum to get info on the new EB Screw that we are also waiting for. I doubt I can get 1000 on it before our first weekend trip, but hopefully 500.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:41 PM
Same here. I was planning on using the cruise control for a 1000 mile trip becore i read this thread cuz I think the truck won't be in until a few days before we leave.

Does this mean I should constantly change my speed? That's really going **** me off. I doubt order to delivery under 6 weeks is realistic.

I'm spending way too much to time worried about my truck!

Old 08-19-2012, 07:23 PM
Reviving an old thread I guess....

Originally Posted by dave_187
Same here. I was planning on using the cruise control for a 1000 mile trip becore i read this thread cuz I think the truck won't be in until a few days before we leave.

Does this mean I should constantly change my speed? That's really going **** me off. I doubt order to delivery under 6 weeks is realistic.

I'm spending way too much to time worried about my truck!
I thinking the same thing. I have to drive around 250 miles soon and don't have my truck yet. Do I just speed up and slow down the whole way or what?

Old 08-20-2012, 12:50 AM
glc
For a 250 mile trip, just don't use the cruise control and make a few quick rest stops.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:06 PM
You could just set the cruise and use the gear lock out to force down shifts which will vary your RPM... every couple minutes just change the gear (occasionally going as low as 3rd for a short burst)

Old 08-20-2012, 02:31 PM
glc
It's not just the engine that needs varying speeds - there's the diff.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by glc
It's not just the engine that needs varying speeds - there's the diff.
Well don't leave me in the dark, tell me what how and why.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:42 AM
glc
You need to vary the loads on the gears.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by glc
You need to vary the loads on the gears.
Do you just reply in 1 liners to increase your post count? Or is it simply to keep people from shooting down your vague comments, allowing you to twist your meaning around so eventually you cant be wrong? By your last 2 post, it sounds to me that you are shooting from the hip.

IMissMyEvo,
Motor break-in is a very personal thing. Ford says these motors don't require a break-on period. I would venture to say less than half of 1% even bother to worry about it. Are they missing out on something? who knows. They for sure will likely never notice.

Anyone who has a truck transferred from another dealer has probably missed the most crucial portion of their motor's break in run. (my local dealer uses an older retired guy to go fetch vehicles for them, I'm sure the vehicle leads an easy life during the trip back.)

Within the first 1hr of engine operation, the cylinder walls develop a decent glaze and the wear in rate declines substantially. I personally just had a friend tear down a motor that had just over 1.5hrs on it since a fresh rebuild (running no load on a lift) due to a botched machine shop job on the head. The motor was leaking massive amounts of oil into the cylinders and still the cylinder walls had glazed enough that it needed re-honed.

I personally am a firm believer of the "break it in hard" method. Drive it at different RPMs under varying loads while engine braking often.

During my first tank of gas, I drove the truck pretty hard everywhere I went and used engine braking as much as possible. The reason engine braking is important is because the high vacuum conditions help remove contaminants from the ring grooves as well as contaminants and excess oil off the cylinder walls. This helps seat rings and improve ring seal.

I personally also believe in changing the factory fill oil sooner than the recommended interval. I changed mine at 500 miles. - Some may disagree or even laugh, but oil is cheap and changing it early does not hurt anything.

If you have to go on a trip soon after you take delivery, I suggest you take your complimentary free tank of gas and use it to have some fun with your truck before your trip... different speeds, different loads etc. On your trip, as I suggested before, if you feel it's necessary, I would use the gear lock out to switch between 3, 4, 5, and 6 every few minutes while on the highway. This will vary engine speeds, engine load to some degree, it causes the transmission to actuate the valve body, torque converter, and various clutches. The occasional WOT blast while using engine braking to slow you back down would not hurt either. (or engine brake first, then WOT back up to cruising speed)

If you don't feel the above (be it mine or anyone else's suggestion) would be sufficient, I suggest renting a vehicle for your trip and let your new truck camp out in the driveway at home. If it calms your nerves about the situation, then I suppose its worth it (provided rental fees don't eat you alive).

Best of luck and enjoy your new truck. I certainly love mine.

Quick Reply: 2012 f150 eb motor break in?