99 f150 4.2 eng & Trans remove! Together!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 03:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 f150 4.2 eng & Trans remove! Together!

I have a locked up 4.2, I cant get to the torq converter nuts. Still taking things apart.

I have the engine stripped down to the timing chain cover, and lower intake removed.

Has anyone done this pull with the 2 attcheted together

If I can remove the 2 together will Tran fluid spill from the tail shaft upon removing?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/18130316@N07/7663869674/

Last edited by D Ryan; 07-31-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:13 PM
Should be a seal inside that will keep any fluid from leaking out of rear of trans. I've never pulled a 4.2 but pulled a bunch with transmission attached.

If not it would push out when truck is moving.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:51 PM
[QUOTE=Chuck W.;4876997]Should be a seal inside that will keep any fluid from leaking out of rear of trans. I've never pulled a 4.2 but pulled a bunch with transmission attached.

If not it would push out when truck is moving.[/QUOTE

I think the yoke is what does the sealing. If I had a spare I would place that in there!

Right now I'm having a good time trying to get those dam drive shaft bolts loose! Got them soaking in PB blaster now.

The lift I have is the kind you roll around 1 1/2 ton !

Last edited by D Ryan; 07-31-2012 at 04:53 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:19 AM
I got the driveshaft bolts out, had to use alittle heat!

I measured the length of the eng and trans together and it comes to 4', with the eng stripped down to the timing chain cover!

If I can remove the 2 together will Tran fluid spill from the tail shaft upon removing?

Old 08-01-2012, 02:00 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
Yes. You need to cap the tailshaft with something.

Old 08-03-2012, 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Yes. You need to cap the tailshaft with something.
That turned out to be quite a challange! None of the auto parts stores have the plugs! Those plugs are all over the net, but I need one now!!

I got a 1 1/4 PVC from the depo , hooked it up to my drill press and started sanding until I got to 1.596" (tapered), glued a cap on the end and called it good! Let ya know how it works out.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:04 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Depo also has a rubber cap with a hose clamp around it, it's called a Jim-cap. It's for capping abs and cast iron pipe, comes 1 1/2, 2, 2 1/2 (I think), 3 inch and so on.

Plumbing supply will have them too.

Old 08-04-2012, 03:26 AM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
You could have used a plastic bag and duct tape..........

Old 08-05-2012, 01:38 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by D Ryan
I got the driveshaft bolts out, had to use alittle heat!

I measured the length of the eng and trans together and it comes to 4', with the eng stripped down to the timing chain cover!

Any reason why you didn't drain the trans? Just curious. Or is it one of those, -to late for that deals lol.

Yea, Not sure if would have put heat to bolts. (?) Probably didn't hurt them, -depends how much heat lol. They can be a PITA, -even after you break them loose, if I'm reflecting correctly. They'll zip right out w/2135 1/2D and the correct socket. Think that's a 12 point? But yea, they're a fight removing without real tools.

Glad to see your makin head way. Fun stuff ehh..

Old 08-05-2012, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
Any reason why you didn't drain the trans? Just curious. Or is it one of those, -to late for that deals lol.

Yea, Not sure if would have put heat to bolts. (?) Probably didn't hurt them, -depends how much heat lol. They can be a PITA, -even after you break them loose, if I'm reflecting correctly. They'll zip right out w/2135 1/2D and the correct socket. Think that's a 12 point? But yea, they're a fight removing without real tools.

Glad to see your makin head way. Fun stuff ehh..
I dont know if we are going to use this trans yet! Got some shopping to do, don't have a eng yet either, I figure have the work is done!

I did about 30 seconds with map gas to heat the bolts and break down the thred locker, come out easy then!

Got the engine and trans out yesterday, came out very easy!
That DIY tailshaft plug worked great!

New pictures are up!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1813031...in/photostream

Old 08-05-2012, 04:25 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by D Ryan
I dont know if we are going to use this trans yet! Got some shopping to do, don't have a eng yet either, I figure have the work is done!

I did about 30 seconds with map gas to heat the bolts and break down the thred locker, come out easy then!

Got the engine and trans out yesterday, came out very easy!
That DIY tailshaft plug worked great!

New pictures are up!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1813031...in/photostream
Good job, - Nice engineering on the cap. It even looks good lol.

Thread Locker, that's right, I remember now. Wish I could find that thread locker Ford uses. It's the best I've seen. All others on the market suck, even the Permatex stuff. So, I wire wheel those bolts, clean with lacquer thinner and use a silicon sealant in the thread roots instead. Better than nothing, for bolts/used bolts that suggest using a locker. They will not vibrate loose with a good silicon.
Yea, -Ford won't sell me the stuff they use. They suggest purchasing new bolts from them, that have the thread locker readily in place. Great idea and that would be nice if it was more affordable. I have to talk with one of the tech's over there. Maybe get them a Pizza for lunch, for a bottle of the stuff.

Getting there, have fun lol.

Quick Reply: 99 f150 4.2 eng & Trans remove! Together!