Ecoboost High Speed Shudder + Check engine light blinking. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 08:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chalk me up as to having the Eco-Shudder !!!

2012 King Ranch Ecobsoot 157" wheelbase.

Had to get on the road at 3am for a work trip. The fog was very dense. While merging onto the interstate, I accelerated to get in front of a truck. Just as others have described, the truck immediately started to shudder, the more I pushed on the gas, the worse it got. No lights illuminated on the dashboard. I had to pull off to the side of the highway and let tractor trailer go around me. I tried to accelerate again, same thing. The truck only wanted to keep the current speed with not load on the engine.

Immediately I got on my smartphone and Google'd "Ford F-150 shudder" and read several forums about this issue. Disappointing.

I had a video camera with me and turned in on in hopes of catching it on camera. Unfortunately, it only did it one more time and I had given up and turned the camera off.

Extremely pissed off about this.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:57 AM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

I don't have an EB, but I'm interested in this for sure.

The way I read these issues (all really the same problem), it sure seems like this could and maybe should be viewed as a safety issue as well, and hence, should be a recall issue. After all, what happens if you try to pass on the interstate and the semi coming up in the passing lane that you'd normally outrun with no problem plows into you because this issue caused the power-train to take a dump?

Skeery stuff, I think.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:26 AM
Anymore info? Did you take it to the dealer?

Old 09-24-2012, 08:13 AM
Suspended
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Pull the spark plugs, If you find one or more overtightened it is probably damaged to some degree. They are torqued to 133 inch lbs which is a little more than hand tight but not much. Some have found the spark plug gap to be all over the place. Set it at .032/.034" for best results. Many have found overtightened plugs. Some have found going 1 heat range cooler on the plug is better. A normal OEM plug looks black at the outer ring and an orangish middle. Probably the reason they are going to the cooler plug. Do not touch the middle electrode, the plug is iridium and very easily damaged. Use extreme care when measuring the gap.

Last edited by papa tiger; 09-24-2012 at 08:18 AM.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by KyBoyProud
Chalk me up as to having the Eco-Shudder !!!

2012 King Ranch Ecobsoot 157" wheelbase.

Had to get on the road at 3am for a work trip. The fog was very dense. While merging onto the interstate, I accelerated to get in front of a truck. Just as others have described, the truck immediately started to shudder, the more I pushed on the gas, the worse it got. No lights illuminated on the dashboard. I had to pull off to the side of the highway and let tractor trailer go around me. I tried to accelerate again, same thing. The truck only wanted to keep the current speed with not load on the engine.

Immediately I got on my smartphone and Google'd "Ford F-150 shudder" and read several forums about this issue. Disappointing.

I had a video camera with me and turned in on in hopes of catching it on camera. Unfortunately, it only did it one more time and I had given up and turned the camera off.

Extremely pissed off about this.
Kyboy have you had this work done on your truck? I had to print this out to prove to the dealer that the truck shutters, bogs out in heavy rain , fog etc.

Ford just came out with a TSB today 12-6-4 to reprogram the PCM/TCM to latest level, installed a deflector shield on the intercooler and possibly replace the drivers side catalytic convertor if needed.

FORD:
2011-2012 F-150

ISSUE:

Some 2011-2012 F-150 vehicles built on or before 5/24/2012 and equipped with a 3.5L gasoline turbocharged direct injection (GTDI) Ecoboost engine exhibit a steady or flashing malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) with various diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) and drivability concerns.
ACTION:

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.
SERVICE PROCEDURE

The calibration update contains improvement actions and enhancements to address the following conditions:
Intermittent stumble and/or misfire on hard acceleration after an extended drive at highway speeds being more noticeable during humid or damp conditions.
Intermittent engine surge during moderate to light loads at cruise.
Powertrain control module (PCM) Misfire DTC P030x.
PCM DTC P0430 and/or P0299.
NOTE:INSURE ALL HARD FAULT POWERTRAIN DTCS ARE ADDRESSED PRIOR TO PERFORMING THE CALIBRATION UPDATE.
Check for DTC P0430. Is DTC P0430 present?
Yes - Replace the left bank catalytic converter assembly. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 309-00. Proceed to Step 2.
No - Proceed to Step 2.
Is the Charge Air Cooler (CAC) equipped with an air deflector plate? (Figure 1A)

Figure 1 - Article 12-6-4
Yes - Proceed to Step 4.
No - Proceed to Step 3.
Install CAC air deflector plate with two new push pins. (Figure 1B) Proceed to step 4.
Reprogram the PCM to the latest calibration using IDS release 79.02A or higher. This new calibration is not included in the 2012.5 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com.
NOTE:PLEASE ADVISE THE CUSTOMER THAT THIS VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH AN ADAPTIVE TRANSMISSION SHIFT STRATEGY WHICH ALLOWS THE VEHICLE'S COMPUTER TO LEARN THE TRANSMISSION'S UNIQUE PARAMETERS AND IMPROVE SHIFT QUALITY. WHEN THE ADAPTIVE STRATEGY IS RESET, THE COMPUTER WILL BEGIN A RE-LEARNING PROCESS. THIS RE-LEARNING PROCESS MAY RESULT IN FIRMER THAN NORMAL UPSHIFTS AND DOWNSHIFTS FOR SEVERAL DAYS.
PART NUMBERPART NAMEBL3Z-5E212-ECatalytic Converter AssemblyW520514-S440Nuts (2 Req)CL3Z-19E672-ADeflector PlateW711281-S300Push Pin (2 Req)

WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.
OPERATIONDESCRIPTIONTIME120604A2011-2012 F-150 3.5L GTDI: Check DTCs, Install CAC Air Deflector Plate if Necessary And Reprogram The PCM (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)0.5 Hr.120604B2011-2012 F-150 3.5L GTDI: Check DTCs, Replace The Left Catalytic Converter, Install CAC Air Deflector Plate if Necessary And Reprogram The PCM (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)1.0 Hr.
DEALER CODING

BASIC PART NO.CONDITION CODE5E212 (OPERATION B)126K775 (OPERATION A)42
NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford or Lincoln dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.
Copyright © 2012 Ford Motor Company

Old 09-30-2012, 11:35 PM
I recently purchased a 2012 f150 Supercrew Platinum ecoboost. Build date of 9-6-2012

It was raining heavily here when we bought it and I believe I did in fact experience the shudder/missing some are reporting. However since the rain stopped I have had nearly 400 miles of smooth sailing. I will be taking the vehicle in to make sure no codes are stored and to possibly get the TSB done for the air deflector etc. It rarely rains as much as it did over the last few days around here, but nonetheless these issues should not happen with a brand new truck, hopefully the air deflector fix resolves the issues.

However this is an expensive truck and I expect it to work problem free, if I want issues I'll go buy a used high mileage truck. I've made it absolutely clear to the dealer that both myself and my wife are not happy with the issues that presented themselves.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:43 AM
Suspended
Lowe's has a super pro garage drain. When you inspect it you see the grills are remobable. One will fit nicely in the opening infront of the IC. Paint it and your good to go in rainy cool weather removing a lot of the condensation problem, double them up for added protection from rocks.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:39 PM
Updating information here.

Was driving the truck to the dealership this morning and the Check Engine Light came on. Before I turned it into the dealership I read the code with my code reader and it was a P0430 code. Since the TSB specifically states this code it's highly likely that this was the cause of the shudder/missing. TSB is 12-6-04

I did notice yesterday when I started it up it had a good amount of black exhaust coming out which would indicate a failing catalytic converter.

Truck has less than 600 miles on it.

Old 10-01-2012, 05:02 PM
Just spoke with the dealership, apparently they replaced the converter and it will be ready this afternoon.

Pretty quick turn around, so either the service department works really quickly, or they cleared the codes and are telling me the service was done. Wonder if there is any way to tell if they actually changed the converter out.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:47 AM
Looks like the TSB 12-6-04 was performed. Catalytic converter was replaced on the left bank, deflector was installed, and PCM was reflashed. So far everything is good, and it looks like the mileage is better than it was.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:29 AM
Suspended
Interesting Ford is mesmerized with the left bank cat. Isn't it the one that gets PCV flow under boost and also EVAP purge, while the intake manifold gets PCV under vacuum/no boost conditions?

Old 10-02-2012, 01:13 PM
I'm going to take a guess that it has to do with dumping too much fuel under certain conditions, which I'm assuming the PCM flash and deflector help to resolve those conditions. Other side of things is it could be a bad batch of cats... not likely though.

Twin turbo technology is not new technology, it just has to be tweaked properly. I've got a twin turbo XC90 that has 80,000 miles and going strong.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:30 PM
I am now a member of flashing check engine light with no acceleration. It did not seem to shutter, it just stopped accelerating as I was getting on the freeway. I looked at the instruments and saw 3 flashes of the check engine light. I let off the throttle for a few seconds, the CEL stopped flashing and I was able to accelerate again. I tried max throttle later on a side street and all was normal. It is going into the dealer this afternoon. It is a 2012 purchased in February of this year.

Old 10-06-2012, 06:42 PM
Update. I picked up the truck Thursday evening. The paperwork said there was no code 0420 present so they only put the diverted on the inter cooler and reflashed the computer. Today, the check engine light came on steady. I checked the code. It is P0420. I'm going to drop the truck off again Monday.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:57 PM
Yep theyll replace the left bank cat and should be good to go afterwards.

You mean P0430 code right?

Quick Reply: Ecoboost High Speed Shudder + Check engine light blinking. Help!