engine swap 97 f150 4.2l 6 cyl (reboot?)

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 12:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy engine swap 97 f150 4.2l 6 cyl (reboot?)

I carefully removed my 280k engine and replaced with a 80k 1999 van version. Moved over wiring - vaccum - lower intake etc replaceing everything new that made sense (plugs, starter, clutch, flywheel, hoses, etc.) I have been counting on two (expert) friends to guide me.

both forgot to advise me to go through a computer reset process at initial start up.

Bottom line the engine sounds like it is running on 4ish cyl. and is very rough - rechecked correct wiring to distribution block. In the old days I would have checked my timing.

I read on line that to reset the computer you needed to disconect from the battery for 15 minutes then start it without touching the gas pedal and let it idle for 15 minutes. During the 15 minutes of idling you could hear the computer try to figute things out - but to no avail. it simply would not smooth out. After 30 min of idle I thought I would try a test drive - thinking it might help the computer think. It got worse and I lost my capability to idle - which made for some interesting driving. Dispite my best efforts it stalled once at a stop light and it took some time and over use of the fuel pedal to get it running again.

PS the check engine light remained off all during this run time

What do you think - did I get a bum engine - did I fry my computer - did I not do the reset correctly

Help!!!

Old 06-17-2010, 02:01 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
You reset it right. Check for loose wires. I remember once I cleaned my intake mani and forgot to plug in the IAC. My truck ran like crap for three days and I thought I killed it before I noticed a loose wire, plugged it in and like magic ran beautifully.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:00 AM
Thanks!

Finally took it to a real mechanic - turns out the numbered distribution box for the spark plug wires is numbered wrong - simple fix really when it is realized.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:11 AM
Nice work. Glad that it was a simple fix. I'm always impressed by you guys who do your own engine swaps. Definitely a nice skill set to have, especially if you keep your truck\car for a long time. Seems everyone trades in their vehicle these days once the warranty is up.

Quick Reply: engine swap 97 f150 4.2l 6 cyl (reboot?)