F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   V6 Engines (including Ecoboost) (https://www.f150online.com/forums/v6-engines-including-ecoboost-71/)
-   -   e3 spark plugs no go (https://www.f150online.com/forums/v6-engines-including-ecoboost/399153-e3-spark-plugs-no-go.html)

One Shot Luni 12-08-2009 10:30 PM

e3 spark plugs no go

I am new on here just to let you all know. So I don't know if this has been posted.

I don't know if anyone else has had this problem but a couple of months back I put new spark plug wires and e3 plugs in my truck and it started missing like crazy. I tried switching out wires first on the cylinders it was missing on but nothing. Then I switched out the plugs with new ones and still nothing. So I read e3 plugs have that problem on a few cars. So I bought some fusion iridium plugs and it ran great. I don't know if it's because they are brand new type of plug and havn't finished testing or what not but they work great in my wifes cobalt.

ManualF150 12-08-2009 11:08 PM

Please... only go with Motorcraft plugs.... everything else is not going to work.

One Shot Luni 12-08-2009 11:11 PM

I put bosch fusion iridiums and it starts and runs better then the motorcrafts I had in before.

wutecht 12-09-2009 12:37 AM

i had that same problem i took the plugs back and got the Bosh iriduims and they blew the motorcrafts away i noticed more throttle response and a little more pep

One Shot Luni 12-09-2009 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by wutecht (Post 3991828)
i had that same problem i took the plugs back and got the Bosh iriduims and they blew the motorcrafts away i noticed more throttle response and a little more pep

The fusions are nice huh? My truck starts without hesitation. Runs a lot smoother as well. I also dropped some 8.2mm Taylor Thundervolt cables as well.

I put e3s in my wifes cobalt and it made a huge difference so I wanted to try them in my truck but it didn't work out to well. Everything I have put the fusion iridiums in has made a difference.

daves03 12-10-2009 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by One Shot Luni (Post 3992464)
The fusions are nice huh? My truck starts without hesitation. Runs a lot smoother as well. I also dropped some 8.2mm Taylor Thundervolt cables as well.

I put e3s in my wifes cobalt and it made a huge difference so I wanted to try them in my truck but it didn't work out to well. Everything I have put the fusion iridiums in has made a difference.

I had the same problem. When it comes to ford i hvae learned the best most best thing out there is always the greatest. These fords are real picky, i had bosch plantium 2 and 4s and it missed pretty good, then i got a set of oe motercraft and it cured all my problems.

Mdd671955 11-01-2010 02:12 AM

Anyone ever try the pulstars?

jbrew 11-01-2010 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by daves03 (Post 3994763)
I had the same problem. When it comes to ford i hvae learned the best most best thing out there is always the greatest. These fords are real picky, i had bosch plantium 2 and 4s and it missed pretty good, then i got a set of oe motercraft and it cured all my problems.

I would go for the best, the plugs that have proven themselves time and time again, - even with the V6 essex engines
Yea, I hear yuh. Bosch spark plugs are the absolute WORST plug for a 2 valve modular. Not only is running on all 8 short lived, the Bosch spark plugs are the only plugs that I've seen melt in the cylinders and fall apart, usually chip a valve. I've seen this at least half a dozen times in these engines, - your nuts to run them, - budget for a new engine if you do, it's very possible.

I would go for the best, the plugs that have proven themselves time and time again, - even with the V6 Essex engines that can tolerate junk plugs a Little longer vs the Modulars.

It's not often you two posters on the same page using Bosch Plugs, - specially in a Ford forum lol.

Here's the list that work well and are dual valve safe -

Denso Iridium's
Motorcraft (NOT Autolites,-specially 103's & 104's)
NGK

Short list, but it's one you should stick to.

Take Care.

Uncle Jesse 11-01-2010 11:40 AM

Ok, see this is weird.. i have a 4.6, not a v6, but when i swapped plugs and coils about 40,000 miles ago, i used Autloites. It was before i did research and found people saying not to use them, but i have not had one problem with them.

Great, i have to drive 650 miles back home this week, probably just screwed myself!!

glc 11-01-2010 11:49 AM

I would believe that Bosch iridiums may be fine - they are nowhere near the same Bosch platinums that are proven to be bad. Conversely, the E3's may be fine in other vehicles. You can't say that a particular brand of plug is good or bad across the board, each different engine reacts differently.

However, in general, replacing the plugs in any vehicle with the same OEM plug it came with is a safe move. With heavy engine mods such as a supercharger, that's a different story.

Fifty150 11-01-2010 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by glc (Post 4383751)
However, in general, replacing the plugs in any vehicle with the same OEM plug it came with is a safe move.

Agreed. That rule of thumb applies to almost every vehicle, with almost every part. It is always safer to use an OEM or Motorcraft air filter, oil filter, fuel filter, et cetera.

Fifty150 11-01-2010 12:28 PM

One Shot Luni,

Just curious. Did you adjust the gap? I was reading on another forum how this guy bought pre-gapped plugs, re-gapped them himself to OEM plug gap specs, and had nothing but misfires and misfortune. I can see how that can happen.

E3 Spark Plugs for automotive applications have a unique three-leg ground electrode that is pre-gapped at our factory to meet the O.E. requirements for the vehicles they are listed to fit. No further gapping is required.

Raptor05121 11-01-2010 01:19 PM

Stick with Motorcrafts. You're not going to gain any HP or crazy mileage increase with those Bosch's or E3s.

DirtySCREW 11-07-2010 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by jbrew (Post 4383533)
I would go for the best, the plugs that have proven themselves time and time again, - even with the V6 essex engines
Yea, I hear yuh. Bosch spark plugs are the absolute WORST plug for a 2 valve modular. Not only is running on all 8 short lived, the Bosch spark plugs are the only plugs that I've seen melt in the cylinders and fall apart, usually chip a valve. I've seen this at least half a dozen times in these engines, - your nuts to run them, - budget for a new engine if you do, it's very possible.

I would go for the best, the plugs that have proven themselves time and time again, - even with the V6 Essex engines that can tolerate junk plugs a Little longer vs the Modulars.

It's not often you two posters on the same page using Bosch Plugs, - specially in a Ford forum lol.

Here's the list that work well and are dual valve safe -

Denso Iridium's
Motorcraft (NOT Autolites,-specially 103's & 104's)
NGK

Short list, but it's one you should stick to.

Take Care.

TRUST JBrew on this!! I replaced mine with MCs...and if I don't trade my truck before I need to replace them again, I'm gonna try the Denso Iridiums.--DirtySCREW

KingRanchCoy 11-19-2010 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Jesse (Post 4383746)
Ok, see this is weird.. i have a 4.6, not a v6, but when i swapped plugs and coils about 40,000 miles ago, i used Autloites. It was before i did research and found people saying not to use them, but i have not had one problem with them.

Great, i have to drive 650 miles back home this week, probably just screwed myself!!

Same here Autolites in my 5.4 and 34,000 miles later she still runs perfect. Never had a problems with autolites in any vehicle. My 01 Ext Cab 4.2 had autolites in it and not a single problem and put damn near 50k on those plugs before i traded the truck in on the KR