Airaid intake for 08 4.2

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 11:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airaid intake for 08 4.2

Is there a sisnifigant gain in power/mpg with this add on? If so does anyone have any pictures of one installed just so I can get good look. Also is it worth the money?

Old 08-25-2009, 11:51 AM
Not sure about the '08, but I put one on my '99 a long time ago. Truck has 130,000 miles now, about 120,000 with the Airaid.

For me, it added some power above 2,500 - 3,000 rpm. No noticeable improvement below that rpm range.

Much more sound from the intake at wide open throttle. Still quiet under normal driving.

Not much if any improvement in fuel mileage.

K&N filter lasts a lifetime, but you need to buy oil/cleaner kits which reduce cost savings of not having to replace your stock air filter.

It does look better, but in California, I have to tape a certificate under the hood showing the aftermarket part is certified by the state as not causing more pollution.

I have some concerns that the K&N does not filter that well, allowing contamination of your MAF sensor.

In retrospect, I probably would not spend the money again, as I don't tend to drive high in the rpm range. If you value a noticeable (but not huge) increase in high rpm power and more intake sound, then you might like it more than me.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:24 AM
The concerns of a K&N affecting the MAF are myths unfortunately spread on sites such as this. Far from the truth. On their web site, visit their FAQ section; they address this, and state that not one MAF has ever been damaged or affected by the use of a K&N filter, and that they back up this statement 100%.

I have been running K&N filters for 8 years now; one is on my Harley-Davidson. It has over 110K on the filter (it's been cleaned and oiled several times), and is now installed on the second engine. My truck has a K&N cai kit with about 10K on it. No issues at all.

The biggiest problem is with cleaning/re-oiling: folks do not follow directions and over oil. Follow the directions on the cleaning kit (or on K&N's web site), and the filter will last a liftime with no ill effects to your engine.

No, I don't work for K&N, but I do use them.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:01 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
Amsoil nanofilter FTW.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by pecanfarm
Is there a sisnifigant gain in power/mpg with this add on? If so does anyone have any pictures of one installed just so I can get good look. Also is it worth the money?
Just do the Gotts mod and be done with it. Thats what I did and it cost me about 10 bucks. It works great and was super easy to do.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:06 PM
just get the K&N fipk kit for the 05-06 4.2L. i just put one of these kits on my 2008 4.2l and it works fine and fits correctly. gives it a nice amount of power and a rlly nice whistle sound. dont no why K&N hasnt made it for the 08 yet, but the other fit perfectly.

Quick Reply: Airaid intake for 08 4.2