1997 Ford F150 4.2L V6 - HYDROLOCK

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 02:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation some information from Ford

As I was doing some research I came across this link to the 4 page TSB on how to properly replace/ old torque values have changed but sequence has remained the same and also there is the original letter sent out to the Truck owners that offered them free repairs to the lower intake gaskets and or the front engine cover gasket , seems that only a certain year engine build is affected for the timing chain cover gasket but all years 97-98 engine build dates are effected for bad lower intake manifold gaskets. There is some special techniques that need to be followed in removing the front engine cover to avoid cracking it also . May be some one planning to repair the 97-98 model 4.2 can use this info, good luck. I do not understand that if Ford sent out a letter to the owners offering free repair work on the 97-98 models , why the heck didn't the trucks original owner that I purchased it from not take them up on it? laziness or just stupidity.
here is the link http://www.flamingfords.info/xLeakTSBandONP.html

Old 01-06-2011, 12:33 AM
My '99 4.2 hydrolocked at about 260,000 miles. Just went out to start it after being parked overnight and wham! it started knocking and banging. Bent rod on #4, but fortunately no other serious damage. I have about 1,000 miles on the rebuild now, and made sure the upgraded gaskets and etc. were put it. I hope it's good now for at least another 260k!

Old 01-14-2012, 11:08 AM
I just got done replacing the Timing chain gasket this pass weekend. I used the Fel-Pro gasket, I should have used the Ford replacement gasket. Oh well, At least it will not be difficult to replace it again. The previous owner did replaced the intake manifold gaskets in 2008, but I believe they are leaking again as after I replace the front TC gasket, I still see the coolant levels reducing about 1/2 inch in about 150 miles of driving. I smell some antifreeze smell when the engine is hot.

Oh, well. It is winter now and this thing does not fit in my 2 car garage so I have to work outside.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:10 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by msk59
I just got done replacing the Timing chain gasket this pass weekend. I used the Fel-Pro gasket, I should have used the Ford replacement gasket. Oh well, At least it will not be difficult to replace it again. The previous owner did replaced the intake manifold gaskets in 2008, but I believe they are leaking again as after I replace the front TC gasket, I still see the coolant levels reducing about 1/2 inch in about 150 miles of driving. I smell some antifreeze smell when the engine is hot.

Oh, well. It is winter now and this thing does not fit in my 2 car garage so I have to work outside.
When I had my 97 I had my local Ford dealer change the lowers as preventive maintenance.The previous owner of the truck had the timing cover gasket replaced from the recall by Ford.
Four months after the lowers were replaced my coolant level started going down.I went to my local Caterpillar shop and bought a UOA kit.Sure enough,there was coolant in the oil.I took it back to the dealer and they fixed it,but the correct way this time.The tech that did the job origanally installed the factory type original gaskets instead of the updated version.He had been fired the week before!

Old 01-14-2012, 12:57 PM
Good Idea, I will certainly do that. i.e., UOA kit.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:43 PM
Exclamation

Originally Posted by msk59
Good Idea, I will certainly do that. i.e., UOA kit.
If your lower intake gaskets are leaking you are playing Russian roulette each time you shut the engine off and then start it again.

If they are leaking again do it ASAP! And use the Ford gaskets,because they are better.

Last edited by BlueOvalFitter; 01-14-2012 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:31 AM
This is exactly what I plan on doing. Just gathering enough info on dos and Don'ts of this issue. I understand it is a bit involved.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
hey i stumbled upon this, ive heard of the 4.2's hydrolocking but are the 4.6's prone to doing it too? mine's a 97 and it REAKS of burnt antifreeze after a hard run but i cant see any leaks. i really dont wanna pull the motor and rebuild it after h-locking.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:41 PM
Exclamation

Originally Posted by 1997 lariat 4.6
hey i stumbled upon this, ive heard of the 4.2's hydrolocking but are the 4.6's prone to doing it too? mine's a 97 and it REAKS of burnt antifreeze after a hard run but i cant see any leaks. i really dont wanna pull the motor and rebuild it after h-locking.
"ANY" engine can hydrolock,be it coolant or raw fuel being injected into a cylinder!

If you have looked everywhere for a leak I would buy a dye (NAPA) and put it in the coolant reservoir. After a day or two use a black light,at night,and check everywhere coolant might leak.Check under the dash too.

The 4.6 has a heater hose that runs under the intake manifold.My dads 4.6 had to have this hose replaced due to a leak.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
great... thanks for the tip the tip!

Old 04-11-2012, 02:00 PM
I finally finished my rebuild on my 97 4.2 Liter V6 F150.
It seems the 97 4.2 L has been redesigned 2-3 times during the model year run. you have a pre June 96 build, a pre June 97, and after June 97 to 01 of 98 and so on. finding the build year is easy just look behind and just below the drivers side head where it mates up to the block, or you can use the last 6 alpha numeric digits of the Vin. as they are the same. Do not let them sell you the wrong parts! It's critical to get the build year info correct when over-hauling this engine!
My rebuild took quite a while because of time and the lack there of. But I am proud to say it went very well, and the engine runs as quit as mouse, WHEW! I replaced every bearing, ring, seal, gasket and #1 piston and connecting rod. be careful of torque values as Ford has changed some of them , like the head bolts and lower intake bolts, the sequence stays the same but torque has changed, buy a torque degree indicator because you will need it! If you rebuild one these engines, take your time and do lots of research on FORD'S TSB for that 4.2L engine! good luck it's good motor with right re-engineered parts that is.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:15 PM
This link will help you find out torque values and other important information about the 97 4.2 liter
http://www.flamingfords.info/xLeakTSBandONP.html

Old 04-21-2012, 01:42 PM
Has anyone actually posted the proper Ford replacement intake gaskets and timing cover gaskets? That would be so helpful if a member could do that.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:10 AM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
The only Ford gaskets you will find now are the improved ones.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:32 PM
I'm assuming you mean the ones you purchase from Ford. How about gaskets from Felpro or McCord? Will they be upgraded as well?

Quick Reply: 1997 Ford F150 4.2L V6 - HYDROLOCK