Engine making tapping noise?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 01:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine making tapping noise?

Hello all, I have a 1998 F-150 V-6 and it has started making a tapping noise from the engine. You mainly hear it when I'm idling, I can't hear it when driving. The oil is at the proper level so I don't know what what could be causing this. To me, it's slowly getting louder as time goes on. (I've notice this noise for about 8 months now) I have over 100,000 miles on the truck and it has never given me any trouble. I keep the oil and plugs changed and was just wondering what could this be and if I need to do something about it? Thanks for any input.

Old 05-31-2006, 05:08 PM
i would check for an exhaust leak. i have a similar noise and its an exhaust leak. its worth a look.

Old 06-01-2006, 07:46 PM
Coolant levels ok? Not having to add any in?

Any performance or millage difference since the noise started?

Also, is it a rythmic ticking that increases with RPM's or does it stay fairly constant?

Just wondering.

Old 06-03-2006, 12:37 AM
Ticking noise

Hello all, Yes JgGravy it's a rythmic ticking that increases with RPM's. Everything else is the same water level, oil level. This is not causing anything to happen to the truck but I just hear it more.

And it may just be me, but seems like it started after I did a radiator flush some months ago. I followed the directions to the T for the radiator flush too. Like I said, this maybe just when I notice it.

My truck does not use more oil or water or anything. It's the same as its always been except for the ticking sound. Thanks againg all

Quick Reply: Engine making tapping noise?