Help !!!!!! problem after spark plug change

Old 07-17-2003, 01:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help !!!!!! problem after spark plug change

I just changed my plugs from the original factory over to autolite AP5144 platinums and now have discovered after 1 hr of driving w/ the new plugs that it stumbles just off idle under load at around 18-1900 rpm.Anyone else experienced this problem.All was ok until I changed the plugs.............is it the autolites??? I do have a 5 spd......

thx for any help

Old 07-17-2003, 02:20 AM
Check the gap first. Is it at .054?

Make sure the wires are routed properly to their corresponding cylinder.

Did you use dielectric grease? This is important. The DIS is very strong. I've seen the spark arc from between the boot and plug and then ground on the cylinder head. You should run a bead of dielectric grease around the end of the spark plug boot.

If you have a 1998 4.2L, you should also check the engine build date, before it's too late. www.leakingfords.com

You may be better off with the Autolite Double Platinum too. P/N: APP5144. I have them in my 4.2L and they work just fine.

I also have a 1999 Explorer, with a 4.0L SOHC engine that calls for double platinum plugs. When I changed the plugs a few months ago, they only had the regular Autolite platinum plugs so that's what I used. Worked great for about 10 miles and then developed a chronic miss and surging engine. I removed the plugs and douple checked everything, but it didn't help. I checked for vacuum leaks and faulty sensors, but nothing hepled. Changing the plugs on a 4.0L SOHC engine requires removing the wheel and fender well too, so this is no small matter. I ended up replacing the plugs with Motorcraft double platinum and that has resolved the entire issue.

Old 07-18-2003, 04:29 PM
I had the same problem. It was really difficult to get the wires off and they were damaged in the process. I had to replace them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help !!!!!! problem after spark plug change