Need some advise!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 11:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some advise!

Hey guys. Thanks in advance for the help. I'm looking to purchase my first F-150. I'm not looking for the "all the bells and whistles" model. It will spend as much time parked in the woods while I'm hunting as running the roads. That being said I also don't need a money pit either.
I ran across this truck on Craigslist. The seller is up front on some mechanical issues. None of the issues related to windows or sunroof bother me. The only one I'm concerned about is the potential Lifter issue.
Any thoughts from F-150 veterans.
Thanks again. http://greenville.craigslist.org/cto/4072005467.html

Old 10-08-2013, 11:38 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
The check engine light is on and makes a small clicking noise, I've been told it is probably one of the lifters that need repaired.
Stay away unless you are willing to put a couple grand into the engine. That's not just a lifter, this engine is the first year of variable cam timing.

If you are looking for a truck in this price range, try to find a 04+ with a 4.6, or get a 03 or earlier with any engine. The 5.4 3 valve has a history of issues, I would not buy one that's making ANY kind of noise - especially if the CEL is on.

Old 10-08-2013, 12:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great info! Thanks!

Quick Reply: Need some advise!