Kansas City v. Norfolk

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2000, 04:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Kansas City v. Norfolk

I have a 97 150 SC, w/4.6 and auto.

I'd like to know more about which particlular engine and transmission went into my truck.

It was manufactured in Kansas City, 8/97

Coincidentally, my brother's 98 150 SC 4.6 auto was made on 8/97, only in Norflk, (Virginia, I guess)

What's the difference between two if any?

Old 09-10-2000, 02:37 PM
Lightbulb

This is just a subjective opinion, but I have noticed a higher quality control in the trucks coming from Norfolk, VA. I live in a suburb of KC so I am not biased to Norfolk either. I have heard many notice the same thing.

Old 09-10-2000, 08:41 PM
I have also heard the same things said about Norfolk, but I cannot personally attest to the difference in quality. My 99 SC is on its 2nd transmission and is in the Ford shop right now for rear axle noise. The first oil change saw a stripped drain plug (steel pan insert was put in wrong) and missing trim on the passenger side. The driver's door whistled as I drove it home, and it needed alignment in 4000 miles. On the plus side, I don't have door cracks, my paint is good, it doesn't squeek or rattle, and my wife loves it. There are only 2 reasons why after 27,000 miles I have not dumped it back on the market (as I have done on the previous 3 trucks) is this website and I have the best dealer in the central US. I tell him what is wrong, he listens to me and the truck, they give me clean loaners, and they fix it right the first time. Worth the 45 mile drive to get there. Perhaps soon it will become my perfect truck.

------------------
99 SC Sport, Silver color everywhere, 4.2 auto,3.55 rear gear, split bench, stock AM/FM @ 2 cheesy speakers w/Ford brand bedliner. Keep'n stock from the factory because we love it for what it is...One fine ride!

Old 09-14-2000, 05:30 AM
Thumbs up

Well, so far this truck has been exellent. I've changed the fluids and am really enjoying ownership.

I've noticed Ford's Job 1 thing slipping over the past few years. I test drove this Mustang where the upper door trim wasn't even installed and I ended up installing it right there on the spot with the salesman scratching his head.??? I hope they can manage to pull their fat out of the fire.

The Aug 97 only has one TSB as far as I know. I think it was the one that instructs the dealer as how to properly torque lug nuts.

I'm just glad I didn't get one built in Mexico.

------------------
97 Super Cab

Old 09-20-2000, 10:23 PM
Yeah, they better pull their fat out
of the fire, they're just the number 1
selling division in the world. They should
radically change things.

Old 09-21-2000, 12:35 AM
I just mean if thay can keep the bean-counters out of the Engineering shop they should be fine. It just seems like most of Ford's quality issues always stem back to 'saving $.89 on this head gasket - 3.8L engine' or 'saving $.34 on this steering column bolt - new escape' or 'saving $1.50 on this diode assembly - 4R100W'

In the end Ford has to offset the profit with a loss to repair this stuff. The news jumps all over Ford and their image slips a little.

I can't argue about the numbers. Dem peoples lubs da Fordz. Yavolt, all over the world.

------------------
97 XLT SC w/62k mi. 3:55, 4.6L, 2" Fabtech coils w/arms & 2" add-a-leafs, snug lid, Tow package, CD, Auto, avg. 17.2 MPG w/ Goodyear GA 255/75/16's
future mods: BFG 285/75/16's, 3" fabtech front coils (Next week, whoo), Trans-go shift kit,
80-90k mi. mods: 3" spindles, centerline rims with 35's
<creativepen@yahoo.com>

Old 09-21-2000, 04:52 AM
the only thing from mexico that was on my truck is the leaf springs.Got those replaced after 6,500 miles.As far as where my truck was built- Canada My buddy's 99 excab same, My 98 2whl drive same.All three of these trucks have had fairly good quality.My buddy is getting new leafs put on his.

------------------
JET air filter
delta tool box
pumpin' stereo
class III reciever hitch
spray in bedliner
headlight covers
custom painted taillight covers
cranked torsion bars 2000 black F150 4x4 sport v-6
-----------------------

lightningcrashz@hotmail.com

Old 09-26-2000, 01:39 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
When we took a tour of the Norfolk light truck assembly plant the last weekend of July as part of the First National F-150 Online Rally, they told us there that the Norfolk plant had the highest quality of their F-150 assembly plants. It seems they use the Norfolk plant to try out the new changes, etc. first, before they are implemented elsewhere in their system, that may have something to do with it.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 09-26-2000, 02:05 PM
Mine is from Norfolk, even got a letter inviting me to take a tour. It would be interewsting to see where my truck was born.

------------------
2001 Lariat Supercab 4x4 5.4 Deep Highland green over Arizonia Tan, very nice color combo.

Old 09-26-2000, 03:43 PM
JDF
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Any one here of quality control problems with the Canada plant? I believe mine is being built there. Quite frankly, if Norfolk is where they "work the bugs out", I don't think I want mine built there.
Also, as far as the leaf springs being from Mexico, I'd bet is in an American co. producing them.

------------------
On order:
01' F150 SC SPORT 4X4 FLARESIDE
*Black
*"MANual" shift 4x4
*Limited slip
*Captains chairs
*Factory tube steps
(liked the look vs. aftermarket)
*Slider

Old 09-27-2000, 08:44 PM
Thumbs up

Originally with this post, I was hoping to tap into someones vast expanse of knowledge of F150 production and get a sense of where all the F150's were made. Perhaps piecing together a puzzle, just for general knowledge. This is what I know so far.

F150's are made in:

1. Kansas City, MO
2. Norfolk, VA
3. Canada (Windsor??)

If yours is made elsewhere Please add to this list.

Old 09-28-2000, 10:53 PM
F150's are made in Kansas City Mo., Norfolk Va., and Oakville Ontario. This info is from blueovalnews under the plant guide. Engines are from Romeo Mi. for the Romeo version of the 4.6, and Windsor Canada for the 5.4 and Windsor 4.6's.

Old 09-30-2000, 04:47 AM
Get a load of this.One of the big-wigs from the canada plant called me today.Just to check and see if my problems were getting taken care of.I guess ford does "care" about some of their customers.
BTW- my new leaf springs have a made in canada sticker on them-so I am thinking only the leafsprings w/ 3 leafs are made in mexico.My new one have 4 leafs.
------------------
-----------------------
2000 f150 4x4 sport,black, 3.55 5spd ,4.2 liters of fury ------mods----pioneer cd,alpine sub,cadence ultradrive amps,alpine mids&tweets,Delta tool box,class III reciever hitch,herculiner bed liner,taz floor mats,profile bug guard,custom painted tail light covers,headlight covers,cranked torsion bars,pirelli scorpion at(265/75 16), modified air box(crash1 style),JET air filter

www.lightningcrashz@hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by lightningcrashz (edited 09-30-2000).]

Old 10-01-2000, 11:40 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Norfolk doesn't surprise me for having good quality... they were the first plant to build the new body style, and, of course, my buddy's dad was one of the chief launch engineers for the project. (If you knew him, you'd understand... :-) ) He moved down there for about three years for the project and moved back up here a couple of years ago. I've had a personal walking tour of the plant, and really enjoyed it. It's a nice set-up they've got down there (FAR, FAR better than Dearborn Assembly) and they make a quality product to boot. (and a LOT of them too!)

------------------
98 Explorer (Lemon Law Case in Progress)
Deposit on '00 F-150, X-cab, 4x4, Lariat, Off-road, Trailer Tow, Sunroof, currently missing the fuel filler door, but they're working on that..

Old 10-04-2000, 04:14 AM
I had a 96 Bronco which I believe was assembled in Dearborn. No offense, but at 22k mi. that truck was ready for goin-though.

Is there anywhere I can go and search for individual casting designations for various, drivetrain components going into the various trucks at the various plants? I was told that there are 11 different versions of the Romeo engine alone. Bueler... Bueler.... Bueler... Someone please set the record straight.

------------------
97 XLT SC w/63k mi. 3:55, 4.6L, 3.5" Fabtech coils w/arms & 2" add-a-leafs, snug lid, Tow package, 6CD, Auto, avg. 17.2 MPG w/ Goodyear GA 255/75/16's
future mods:BFG 285/75/16's, Trans-go shift kit,
80-90k mi. mods: 3" spindles, centerline rims with 35's
<creativepen@yahoo.com>

Quick Reply: Kansas City v. Norfolk