HELP! My trans shifts hard. E4OD 95 bronco

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2001, 08:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post HELP! My trans shifts hard. E4OD 95 bronco

I have a 95 bronco with a hard shifing problem. The trans has full line pressure all the time. I took it to the trans shop that they scanned a code that came up as Throttle position sensor range. I replaced it with the battery disconected to clear out any codes and it worked fine for a few days, then I noticed a day later that I got a shuddering problem that everybody is talking about. This lasted a few days but then one day on the expressway I was crusing at 75 for about 45mins. Then, behold, again, the hard shifting came again. Like I had a shift kit. I drove it home again and shifted hard all the way, then I disconected the battery for a few mins and the truck shifted great again. Later that nite, the harsh shifting came back. does anybody have any clue what is causing this to happen. It goes away after I disconect the battery for a while. But untill I do, the trans will always shift hard and engage from park to drive,and reverse hard. Once I disconnect the battery It goes back to normal for a while. could be a couple hours, or days. It just depends. Any clue?

[This message has been edited by Fordgazem (edited 03-07-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Fordgazem (edited 03-08-2001).]

Old 03-07-2001, 09:07 AM
I had a similar problem on my 94- F-150 4x4 -it started after I had a catalytic converter replaced and they left the shell of the old one on there-it would mostly happen to me after hiwghway driving-I might be wrong but I think it had to do with the heat coming off that old converter with nothing in it-once I had that old shell removed and a U-pipe installed it quit doing it and hasnt done it since-the transmission return line is right there by the converter and I figured it was getting hot affecting the pressure-I also had mine scanned at transmission shop and it was throwing no codes-Good luck with it-mine about drove me crazy before I figured it out

Old 03-07-2001, 03:11 PM
My 94 F-150 4X4 E4OD is doing the same thing. I have had it to the tranny shop three times - taking it back again next week. I think all they have been doing is disconnecting the battery - this time I am going to raise hell. It is driving me crazy, not to say what it is doing to my universal joints. When this is happening, it jumps into reverse or drive and it sounds like it is tearing out the u-joints. Other than this, I love my truck but am getting to dislike it more. I wish I would have stuck with a manual transmission. Got tired of shifting in traffic, but I would have been able to fix it.

Let me know what you find out and I will keep you posted on mine.

Thanks
Joe Harris

Old 03-07-2001, 08:52 PM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
When the computer controlling the transmission finds a problem it sets the line pressure high to prevent further damage.

You must have another code stored in the computer. When you disconnet the battery it clears the code until the computer finds the problem again.

You need to know what code is stored. Without it all anyone can do is geuss.

Mark

[This message has been edited by Mark Kovalsky (edited 03-07-2001).]

Old 03-08-2001, 09:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the first code came up as throttle position sensor range, you may want to replace the throttle position sensor which is on the throttle body. This is little more than an educated guess, but it's an easy fix and prolly not to expensive, you can take one from a same year and engine truck in a junk yard.

G

Old 05-21-2001, 05:01 PM
The E4OD in my 95 Bronco is doing the same thing. No codes on the scanner. I have replaced the valve body solenoid assembly and the neutral safety switch. A day later its deja vu all over again. I disconnect the battery when it starts shifting hard. It's getting old. How are you guys making out with this problem? Thanks, John

Old 10-06-2003, 05:04 PM
94 bronco e40d

I also have a 94' Bronco with an E40D tranny. I am having the exact same problem. The only code that I pull up is excessive converter clutch slippage (628). When I clear the code it shifts fine, no slippage or harsh shifting. I have read many threads from many web sites explaining this problem. most seem to be solved by replacing a bad sensor. i have not heard of any that have been solved by rebuilding the transmission. I was told by the tranny shop that the torque converter is bad and I should rebuild the transmission!!! I was hoping that someone has figured out what other sensors could cause the tranny to revert to default mode and pull a 628 code. I will post a solution if I find one. Thanks guys.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:32 PM
I will repost after I adress this issue on my f 350. I am having the same issue but after reading this thread I am hopeful that I have finally found the answer! Ijun Bill says he had an old cat blowing hot air..... This got me to thinking about my problem. I had a quarter size hole blow out of the top of the cat on my truck. I am yet to have fixed it as it really doesn't sound that bad....Maybe even sounds mean! It also seems to me my trans issue started @ about the same time. Too much heat @ the trans return line.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 03-01-2012, 12:13 PM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by jtwags
I was told by the tranny shop that the torque converter is bad and I should rebuild the transmission!!!
They are probably right, though you might just replace the torque converter.

Originally Posted by jtwags
I was hoping that someone has figured out what other sensors could cause the tranny to revert to default mode and pull a 628 code. I will post a solution if I find one.
I don't know of a sensor that can cause a 628 code to set.

When the 628 code sets the pressure is set high to prevent further trans damage. As long as that code is there you will have harsh shifts.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:08 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Mark - that post was made 8 years ago and is the poster's ONLY post.

Quick Reply: HELP! My trans shifts hard. E4OD 95 bronco