Aftermarket Parts giving tranny problems????

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 04:07 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket Parts giving tranny problems????

I was just wondering how tough the tranny's are on these trucks and if my mods will dramaticly reduce the life of my tranny. After the superchip flash and the 488 gears my tranny shifts really hard and it worry's me a bit. But not enough so rar to remove the program. Here's my truck:

03 f-150 4x4 5.4L
superchip programmer on 93 octane
4:88 gears
AF1 intake
6" lift
35's

What do ya guy's think?

Old 01-31-2008, 04:14 PM
Will the change from the gears and the lift will cause little bit of problem. It's going to cause you to put more stress on your tranny from having to put more acceleration because of the lift and tires but the gears should have made up for that part...but it still will cause a little bit more wear from the aftermarket mods you have on.

Old 01-31-2008, 04:31 PM
but also remember,since you have changed shifting points,and or how it shifts,there is less slippage ,which helps your tranny...less heat etc...i wouldnt worry to much....do you use a tranny temp gauge?

Old 01-31-2008, 04:41 PM
Technical Article Contributor

no i don't have a tranny temp gauge. I don't run the Hell out of it too often. Im mostly talking about normal driving with some towing and some heavy accelerations at times.

thanks for the info so far.

I haven't done anything to my truck that a ton of other people haven't already done....I just wanted to ask the quesiton to make myself feel better about it.

Cause now i'm going to try to get a few more ponies out of the 5.4 and that will only make it harder on the tranny.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Parts giving tranny problems????