New Art Carr Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2000, 09:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool New Art Carr Transmission

My Tranny arrived today and was installed by this afternoon. After testing and tying up loose ends, I should be able to pick it up tomorrow afternoon. I have changed a lot of things so I will post my impressions on the "new" truck hopefully tomorrow evening. Since I last drove the truck I have installed 4:10 gears, 80mm Pro M, 75mm BBK, Custon Intake tube, and of course the Transmission. Stay tuned!

------------------
98 White 4.6 Triton STX (It's not an STX anymore) Flairside,Class III hitch, Blue Cobra Stripes, Euro Lid by Astro, Bed Rug, Fiero Wing, Air Dam,Westin Step Bars, Ground Force 2-4 Drop,Custom MB Phantom Wheels,clear corner lenses,monster battery terminals,Custom Programmed Super Chip,BBK 75mm TB, Pro M 80mm MAF,Pillar Pod w/ boost and trans temp,Jacobs DIS Ignition,Art Carr 2000-2400 stall transmission,4:10 gears,custom rear end housing, custom intake tube, Jet coated JBA stainless headers, Magna Flow Muffler with Stainless Duals and of course fully Blown by Magnacharger!

Old 11-01-2000, 02:18 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Flats Man,

Great news! Please do tell us about the Art Carr tranny when you get a chance, what you had them do, time frame, etc. If you get a chance to post that in Computer Chips, I'll be sure to see it,and I'm dying to see your impressions of what Carr did for you.

I've gotta to a serous re-build on my 4R70W, and I'm going to have a blower as well, so any details would be helpful if you get time.

Good luck!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 11-01-2000, 03:35 PM
Cool

Hi Mike, Thanks for the interest. I talked to the Art Carr tech and he told me this tranny was good up to 700 HP and 600 lb of torque. It is supposed to be quicker in the 1/4 to boot. I got the 11 inch Torque converter because I still pull a small trailer. I guess I need to go get some z rated trailer tires now. The shop tech drove it yesterday and said it was pretty awesome. They finished the tranny install and test drove it before installing the new MAF and TB. That is being finished as I type this. I also had the shop hook up the boost and tranny temp gauges. I think the only thing stock in this tranny is the case. I will run a dyno when we get every thing tweeked and then I will give you a call about sending the chip back for some more of your "magic dust." I am planning on bringing this truck up to your event next year. I will stay in touch. Thanks!

Old 11-01-2000, 07:11 PM
Cool

I just drove home in bumper to bumper traffic but this trans feels heavy and shifts very firmly. I now have a wonderful new "problem," It is NO TRACTION! More later.

Old 11-02-2000, 10:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you don't mind, how much did the Art Carr rebuild cost? I understand you shipped them your transmission because a case was not available? I have always read good things about Art Carr transmissions.

------------------
97 F-150, 2WD, Reg Cab,Flareside,Dk Toreador Red, Windsor 4.6, Magnecor 8.5mm wires, Bosch Plat +4s, 3.55 LS, EGR Bug Deflector, ******* Bed Cover, Bed Liner, XL Full Length Running Boards, Air Aid Kit, Gibson Single Out Cat Back, Superchips, TransGo Shift Kit, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, Hellwig 2500# Overload Springs,Energy Suspension Polyurethane Front Sway Bar Bushings, 265 70 16 tires, Rancho RS9000 shocks

Old 11-02-2000, 03:07 PM
Former Sponsor
HI Flats Man,

I wanted to drop you a quick note after I saw that you installed that Pro-M 80 mm MAF unit. PLEASE, please take it back OFF until we get the program changed for you again, as the Pro-M 80mm units can lean out the A/F ratio by as much as 2 full points, making it *dangerously* lean, especially in a supercharged engine!

So please, take it back of for a little while. I know it's messed up your idle speed, but even more important are the A/F ratios, so you might want to give us a call on this. I just don't want to see you have a leaned-out motor spoil the parade here.

On a lighter note, T. Ellenberger asked a *great* question, about what did Art Carr charge for the rebuild on your tranny, and is this a "package" type of rebuild that they have a specific name for, etc.? Also, how long was it from the time you shipped them off your transmission until you got it back?

Thanks in advance for any & all info on the AC tranny!

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System

Old 11-02-2000, 08:05 PM
Cool

Thanks for the warning on the Pro M. I will be sending the chip back around the end of the month. Art Carr calls this a "performance rebuild" The torque converter was around $750 and the tranny was $2000. This transmission and the 4:10 gears have made a huge difference in this truck. My stock 4R70W with the shift kit was very nice but nothing like what I have now. I would say that from the time I finally shipped to them and got it back was a little over three weeks. Mike, my F/A on my last dyno was around 10.8, never higher, do you think I could make two runs the way I am now and send in the results with my chip?

Old 11-02-2000, 08:13 PM
Cool

Mike, I forgot to address the idle problem. The truck is idling fine now. There are some adjustments on the BBK that I didn't have on the stock unit. The air mixture screw is all the way down but the problem was an idle screw on the throttle linkage very simular to the old idle screws on carburetors, if anyone remembers what that is! I am idling at 700 in gear and 1000 out of gear.

Old 11-03-2000, 10:48 AM
How is the driveability with the higher stall speed? How does this thing feel compared to stock. Would a install of higher stall speed converter be worthwhile on a stock trans?
Thanks a lot
Bone

------------------
2001 Screw
4 X 4
5.4 Liter
Black/Harvestgold
Lariat, Removed pin stripe and 4X4 stickers and it looks great
Powerdyne Supercharger
Autometer Boost Gauge
Superchiped Custom
Spray X Liner
Westin Nerfs Black
Captains Chairs
Towing Package
6/CD Changer
Moonroof
Sliding Rear
Hood and Window Ventshades
Ravin Z33 S/I D/O the sides

Future plans:
Exhaust???
Gears! 4.10??

Old 11-03-2000, 02:24 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi FLats Man,

10.8:1 is *plenty* rich, you'll make the best power supercharged at around 11.7:1 or so, roughly, with plenty of extra fuel still.

Sure, by all means, if you want to dyno it again & check A/F ratios to see exactly where it is at now, that would be great data to have. Just make sure that if it starts going lean with that Pro-M unit on there to shut it down *instantly*. the Pro-M 80mm unit can lean out the A/F ratio by as much as 2 full points, which is disastrous for a blower motor, so you'll want to keep a close eye on this in real-time to be "safe" during the dyno pull(s).

Thanks for the info on the Art Carr tranny, so it's about 3 weeks and $2K, that sounds about right. I need to pull the tranny anyway in the Mark 8 as it has a rear main oil seal leak, so I want to do both at the same time.

Talk to you soon,

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Old 11-06-2000, 06:56 AM
Cool

ToDaBone-At first the truck seemed a little jumpy from a stand still but it doesen't take long to get used to it. I really like the higher stall and can still leave a light smoothly. It is going to make it a little more difficult leaving the line now, so I will have to learn to be a better driver. Nice problem!
Mike T-I just got back in town and will take your advice on the A/F run and watch the mixture in real time. I also thought it would be good to have that info before I sent the chip back to you. Good luck on the transmission. I am looking forward to meeting you at the 2nd National F150 Online Rally!

Old 11-26-2000, 05:53 PM
Cool

Just an update on the transmission after pulling a trailer over 200 miles in one day. The shifts were very crisp and smoother with the load(about 1700lbs.) The 4;10 gears are the trick for towing with the 4.6L, in my opinion. No drag up hills or tall bridges. I towed out of overdrive and the highest transmission temperature I saw on a 70+ day was 145 degrees. I am very happy with this aftermarket transmission!

Quick Reply: New Art Carr Transmission