2006 f150 transmission malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 02:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 f150 transmission malfunction

I got a 2006 ford f150 super crew lariat. It's got 110400 miles. I also have an edge evolution programmer using the #2 tow tune. I was driving today and went to pass a car. Upon acceleration to pass the vehicle I had a hard shift at about 70. I came to a stop sign and upon moving noticed very sluggish acceleration. This was a 1/4 mile after the pass. About another 1/4 mile down the rode the transmission malfunction screen displayed and the O/D off light came on. I got it to my house which was roughly another mile. Upon parking I used the reset button on the dash and shut the truck off. I then started the truck to go for a test ride and my reverse is out. This is the first time I have had issues and I do not know what to do. I need help ASAP.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:44 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How much maintenance service has the trans seen? I ran the same tune since I bought mine in 2011. My trucks almost yours, just 2007 & 109k miles. They recommend not high RPM shifting the level 2. I have lately ran the level 3 on 93 octane. Firmer shifts but all still feels alright.

I would drop the pan and change the screen, then top off the fluid at 5qts.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:11 PM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
I would get the codes read before wasting money on a filter and fluid.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:24 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
They recommend not high RPM shifting the level 2.
This should be common sense to anyone as it will trash any transmission.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:17 AM
As far as I know there has been no work done to it. It's at the dealership now they told me they have to look at the electrical but the tech thinks is gonna be a new tranny. This sounds fishy to me....

Old 02-04-2013, 12:31 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I really hope you do not need a complete rebuild, but something you should also be aware of...

if you go to this link http://www.fordracingparts.com/downl...ceTechTips.pdf the engineers at Ford racing have a article on just exactly how these “tuners” play games with the hp/tq ratings, how calibration can cause misleading dyno results, & some of the “tricks” that are used to gain supposed power increases when in fact, managing your engine….. and the most important item is……these “expert tuners” (at least most) do not have or choose not to test their results (in comparison to the oem intakes) during actual vehicle motion (or simulation- such as a wind tunnel) as the oems do nor are these "mail order tuners' regulated like any other auto repair shop in the US...so if they "damage" your car...gee, sorry...sue me! Many of these "tuners" have no credentials in ECM or tranny programming and as a result, they induce unnecessary damage to components. The Ford docs talk about this in greater detail. I'm not against tuning, I did mine myself, but most of these tunes (both custom & otherwise) are really nothing more than "add a sticker" type performance enhancer (where they create a firmer shift or advance the ingition at a certain point to give you a feeling that its better when in fact, its what I refer to as "Sticker HP".

Old 02-03-2022, 06:46 AM
Originally Posted by vibbs08
I got a 2006 ford f150 super crew lariat. It's got 110400 miles. I also have an edge evolution programmer using the #2 tow tune. I was driving today and went to pass a car. Upon acceleration to pass the vehicle I had a hard shift at about 70. I came to a stop sign and upon moving noticed very sluggish acceleration. This was a 1/4 mile after the pass. About another 1/4 mile down the rode the transmission malfunction screen displayed and the O/D off light came on. I got it to my house which was roughly another mile. Upon parking I used the reset button on the dash and shut the truck off. I then started the truck to go for a test ride and my reverse is out. This is the first time I have had issues and I do not know what to do. I need help ASAP.
J'ai le même problème en se moment qu'avez vous fait finalement ?

Old 02-03-2022, 09:09 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
^^ For those that don't know French:

I have the same problem now what did you do?

Quick Reply: 2006 f150 transmission malfunction