Transmission question

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 01:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission question

Hi, I'm a newbie to the site and I have to say, thank the good Lord,that I found it. I have 79 F150 with a 302 in it. I believe that I have a C6 Transmission in there right now, but, could be a C4. I want to swap it out for an AOD trans, but I need to get some details as to what I'm looking for and things that I need to be mindful of when I do decide to do it. Has anyone done this swap to a 79 or earlier model or does anyone know of some good resource sites that they could to direct me to.

thanks.

Old 03-14-2009, 01:49 PM
i caint give you a 100% answer. but i know there is a year split when they went to electronic. you dont want that you want an old fashion stupid AOD. another thing to consiter is getting the AODE they are more heavy duty and came out of econolines and newer f150s and such. but besides that it should be simple, bolt up to the engine only things would either be modifying the cross member or making one and a new driveshaft to match the length and output shaft of the trans

Old 03-14-2009, 06:00 PM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by froshy00
i caint give you a 100% answer. but i know there is a year split when they went to electronic.
They started changing from AOD to AODE (the "E" means electronic) in 1992.

Originally Posted by froshy00
you dont want that you want an old fashion stupid AOD. another thing to consiter is getting the AODE they are more heavy duty and came out of econolines and newer f150s and such.
So which is it, does he want the AOD or the AODE? You said don't get an AODE, then said that's what he wants.

An AODE is MUCH more complicated to install. You need the computer and wiring to make it run, the AOD just needs the TV cable adjusted correctly.

The AODE was also available in the cars. My son has a '92 Grand Marquis with an AODE.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:44 AM
found the answer

After I posted this question, I scoured the internet and then talked to a couple of folks. their suggestion was the AOD because of the straight bolt on, with a few modifications. one being the cross member, it will have to be moved back 2 to 3 inches to accomodate the AOD. also the linkage, if remember correctly, is different. I suppose that it is when you guys talk about the tv linkage. What's that all about anyways. Please excuse the ignorance on this stuff, like I said Newbie....

Old 03-16-2009, 11:48 AM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
TV is throttle valve. The AOD needs this linkage (sometimes a cable) to be controlled by the throttle opening. It sets the pressure inside the trans. It is critical to get this exactly right or the trans will have a very short life.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:58 AM
Thanks Mark, now I have a better understanding. I can buy a rebuilt AOD trans that came off of a 85 Econoline Van for 375. gentleman told me that he had it rebuilt for hooking up trailers and what not. I guess that it is pretty stout.

Quick Reply: Transmission question