Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF in 98 F-150 E40D Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-1999, 04:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF in 98 F-150 E40D Transmission

I am close to 30K on my 1998 5.4 E40D transmission. I am going to change the fluid and filter myself. I currently use Mobil 1 oil, and would like to use the ATF as well. Has anybody used the Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF in this particular transmission? It says on the dipstick to use Mercon fluid only. Mobil 1 says it is OK for Mercon, but not Mercon III. What is the difference? Can I use it in my truck? Below is a copy of what Mobil 1 sent to me.

Thanks,

Jim

Thank you for contacting Mobil.

Mobil 1 ATF meets the requirements for Dexron III and Mercon. If the
manufacturer requires a Mercon III fluid we do not recommend the you use
Mobil 1 ATF in that application.

If you have any additional questions, you may contact us at our E-mail
address: lubes@ffx.mobil.com or by phone at 1-800-ASKMOBIL.

Old 07-28-1999, 08:05 PM
J-C
I guess you need to find out if you need Mercon III for your tranny. Ford Service (or your owner's manual) should tell you that.
If you don't need Mercon III, I'd go with the Mobil 1.
Please post back regarding Mercon III needs. I was planning on putting Mobil 1 in my truck sometime over the next few weeks. Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Good info from Mobil - Thanks!
I hadn't even heard of Mercon III.

------------------
1999 F-250 XLT Super Duty Crew Cab Long Bed
V-10, Automatic 4R100, 4.30 Limited Slip.
GVW = 6700# Towing Capacity = 13,300#
4 Wheel ABS disks + Reese 15K hitch
Dark Hunter Green. Ford Running Boards.
Grey Rhino-Liner. Captain's Chairs. CD+Tape
* * * Non-Leaking Sliding Window * * *
http://members.home.net/jchartier/jnctrk.html

Old 07-28-1999, 08:35 PM
Mercon III is non-synthetic while Mercon or Mercon IV is synthetic. Your dipstick will tell you specifically what to use in your transmission.

------------------
Dunbarton "The Middle Aged Kid" '99 XLT SC SB 4x2 4.6 auto 3.55 ls The occasional Z-71 Eater! Wedgewood & Denim, SuperChipped, Airaid FIPK. Man, I got it all!

Old 08-06-1999, 10:34 AM
My E40D calls for 15.9 quarts of MERCON ATF. I am going to change the fluid and filter using Mobil 1 ATF. I am planning on draining the torque converter as well. I understand there is a drain plug on the TC once you remove the transmission pan. Does this drain plug need to be replaced? I seem to recall someone stating that it did. Also, how hard is it to turn the TC where the drain plug is on the bottom side? Once I fill the transmission back with fluid, will the TC fill fast enough to prevent damage once the engine is started?

I am also going to replace my power steering fluid with the Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF. My owners manual says it uses MERCON ATF as well. FYI, my manual says the 4R70W transmissions use MERCON V and hold 13.9 quarts.

Sorry for the long post. I really appreciate all the great information here.

Jim

Old 08-06-1999, 11:06 AM
Talking

JSCOTT, The drain for the torque converter is not near the pan it is behind the bell housing. There should be a "window" on the bottom of the bell housing that will give you access to the TC drain plug. The fun part is, while the transmission is in neutral put a socket wrench on the crank pulley and having someone turn the engine over by hand while you watch the TC turn and wait for the drain plug to come around. I don't know about a recall on the drain plug but don't worry about damage to the TC and refilling it with fluid. Fill the trans the start the truck and let it idle for a couple of minutes and then put it in drive (parking brake on of course) and let it idle for a couple more minutes this will get the fluid into the TC. Check the fluid level and add more if needed which it probably will. Good luck.

------------------
99 F150 XLT Silver 2WD S/C 4.2 5-speed, Superchip, Flowmaster muffler // Rear door switch guards - check them out at http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/show/5031

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF in 98 F-150 E40D Transmission