4r70w rebuilt twice and still having problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 01:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4r70w rebuilt twice and still having problems

Okay so here is the situation, I have a 96 explorer with the 5.0l v8 and a 4wd 4r70w. I rebuilt the motor in it and wanted a good dependable transmission behind my new motor. There was no issues with my transmission, other than being high milage and going to be put behind a slightly modified motor.
I took the transmission to a reputable builder and paid $1700 to have it bench built. Immediately after reinstalling it and firing up the new motor and trans, the trans made some pretty bad noises and had no engagement whatsoever. I added some guild to it and it helped a little as I was able to get it to move in reverse and manual 1st but still wasn't right. I took the truck to the builder on a trailer and had him go back through it. It took him 2 months that time to finally get it back to me and it seemed to be okay that day but the next day it started giving me issues. It was slipping really bad, kept shifting up and down when it wasn't supposed to, and not shifting when I needed it to, as well as not engaging when put into drive until I revved the engine a few times, sometimes up to 3k and then getting a very hard engagement. I took it back to the boulder yet again and he had it almost 6 months. I have now had the truck back a couple weeks and after the first couple days I noticed that when I would go out to start it after sitting overnight, that it was doing the same thing where it was acting like it was in neutral when shifting from park to drive. It only does this after it's been sitting a little while, and only does it in drive. If I shift it to manual 1st, 2nd, or reverse it takes right off no problem and once I get it moving a can shift back to drive and have no issues with it the rest of the day after the initial startup. It is also engaging reverse really hard. I'm really wanting some insight on what this could be as I dont really want to have to leave my truck with this guy another 2-6 months. When I asked him about the problem he said it might be the drain back valve sticking and allowing the fluid to drain out of the converter over time. This last time he had it he said that he found a couple things, 1st thing was the pressure regulator was worn so he reamed it out and installed an oversized valve, the other thing he found was a torentien bearing that failed right out of the box and chewed up the lower planetary which he replaced. The time before that he said that my filter had fell off and caused it to suck a bunch of air and burn up my clutches which he replaced. The truck isnt going to be a daily driver, but will see an occasional hour on the highway and will be used mainly offroad but I dont want it leaving me stranded in the woods. I'm really sick of jacking with this thing but already have so much time and money tied up in it that I dont really want to replace it. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Old 06-18-2019, 09:36 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Nice looking Exploder.

Darrin Burch is well rounded on that transmission. Maybe he can give you some tips if you are willing to wait.

Old 06-18-2019, 10:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ManualF150
Nice looking Exploder.

Darrin Burch is well rounded on that transmission. Maybe he can give you some tips if you are willing to wait.
I am in no hurry, it will be two weeks before I get to twist the key in it again as it is parked at my dads house a few hours away. Is there a way for me to contact him?

Old 06-18-2019, 12:19 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Old 06-26-2019, 10:17 AM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
^^^

Quick Reply: 4r70w rebuilt twice and still having problems