2005 f150 intermittent trans issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 12:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,
my 2005 f150 5.4l auto 4wd fx4 is being a pain. It was driving perfectly normal, then one day the problem started.
it shudders a little bit when taking off from a stop and seems to have trouble shifting in to 2nd gear. It revs like it’s unlocked before thumping in to 2nd, and it goes normal from there... the hiway revs and speed is normal.

i changed the fluid and filter, which looked pretty good, wasn’t burned and had no metal, other than the sludge on the magnet.
problem didn’t change

i borrowed a nice snap on sollus code scanner and got a few codes when it finally threw a light and went in to limp mode.
trans fault was on odometer, wrench appeared and o/d light flashing. Turn off truck and it resets. It appears to me like a failed sensor or solenoid.

P0553 power steering sensor hi input
p0720 output speed sensor circuit fault
p0722 output speed sensor no signal
P0732 gear 2 incorrect ratio
P2106 tax system force limited power

i have a new output speed sensor coming tomorrow and will try that first.

other than firing parts at it, what can I do to troubleshoot? Wiring to check besides the obvious? Anyone have diagrams? Resistance/voltage values?
i also have the solus edge scanner so can see the real time data.
the OSS is simulated at 160 rpm when the truck is in limp mode, in park, so that appears to be the issue with my limited knowledge.

if anybody has any tips or ideas it would be appreciated. I need this truck to work!

Old 06-07-2019, 12:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Codes thrown after limp mode

Some of the data from limp mode at idle, in park

Quick Reply: 2005 f150 intermittent trans issue