transmission temp guage install

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 11:54 PM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
transmission temp guage install

2002 f150 tranny temp gauge install tips.
you need:
2 3/8" compression to 1/4 NPT fittings
1 1/4 to 1/8 NPT BUSHING
1 14" x 1/4" NPT 90 degree
LOCATION: due to the dash substructure I would recommend moving this guage 1/8" DOWN and 1/8" closer to the steering column!!! My 2" gauge does rub on the substructure and could be prevent panel from being fully installed without some....delicate manipulation.

Sending unit:
Mine uses a 1/8-27 NPT sender (standard).
1st verify gauge and sender reads CORRECT by applying 12 volts to gauge, jump to sender then ground BOTH (obviously the outside of sender) ...place in GLASS (coffe pot..) now boil the water!
You can use a simple brass T fitting with 1/4" pipe fittings or autometer install kit (I made mine but i have 30 yrs Tool & Die & Mold making experience)

you will want orient your sender like so!!!! I mounted mine on the TOP (inlet) line going into the radiator. My first install was NOT oriented as such and gave FALSE readings as the fluid did NOT contact sender continueously

Lighting up the gauge:
easiest way I found was to tie into the ashtray dash light lead therefore allowing the dimmer to control the light with the rest of the dash. Use the green condom on the light....looks ALMOST the same as the dash lights just not a vibrant

Last edited by Fbird; 06-08-2019 at 08:31 AM.
Old 06-07-2019, 02:01 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I did this on my old 97 F150 for water and trans temp gauges.

I also tapped into the trans line before it went into the rad.

For the water temp, I tapped into the inlet side of the heater hose.

I never saw any temps go over 220 on the trans or the water towing the same TT in my sig. Sure, the 13 tows it much better, but the old 97 with the 5.4 did a fair job too.

Good luck!

Mitch

Old 06-07-2019, 09:32 PM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
as I was recently informed by Mark Kovalsky That i should tap into the test port on the side of the tranny..... i will be adding a 2nd sending unit into the test port and a rocker switch to do an on the road temp comparison!!! flip a switch..note readings....better yet NOTE the differences...IMMEDIATELY..

1 question Mitchf150.....where did you tap 12 volt switched power from?
I had already tapped in by the ignition relay(by battery) for my driving lights(relay trigger voltage supply only..) Since it's only a 2-3 amp draw for the guage unit adding it was moot.

Last edited by Fbird; 06-08-2019 at 08:29 AM.

Quick Reply: transmission temp guage install