Rebuild or Replace? Street Smart vs Jasper?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 01:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rebuild or Replace? Street Smart vs Jasper?

I've got a 2004 NBS SCab 2WD Auto with 105,000 miles that has lost reverse. I'm looking at around $3300 to have a Jasper rebuilt one put in, a little less for a Street Smart tranny. I can also attempt to do it myself in the driveway, either by removing the broken one and putting in the Jasper or Street Smart, or even attempting a rebuild on my own. I believe I have all the tools I need to do the work except a tranny jack, which I can buy or rent. If I attempt to do the work myself, does anyone know of a good write-up on pulling the tranny out (I did find the rebuild sticky on here but nothing about actually pulling the tranny)? Is it reasonable to think that if I'm capable or pulling the tranny that I could also do the rebuild myself? If I go with a rebuilt one, does anyone have any personal experience with Jasper or Street Smart? Any advice or tips would be appreciated.

Old 04-27-2019, 03:29 AM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Southbound 35
If I attempt to do the work myself, does anyone know of a good write-up on pulling the tranny out (I did find the rebuild sticky on here but nothing about actually pulling the tranny)? Is it reasonable to think that if I'm capable or pulling the tranny that I could also do the rebuild myself?
Only you know what your level of skills are. From an outsider's perspective, rebuilding a transmission requires some training and experience. It sounds like you don't have any transmission training, since you are looking for an online tutorial. Not really something I would want to try without training.

Plenty of youtube videos on these transmissions.

I'm looking at around $3300 to have a Jasper rebuilt one put in, a little less for a Street Smart tranny.

does anyone have any personal experience with Jasper or Street Smart? Any advice or tips would be appreciated.
Here's 1 guy's opinion, which I found online.

Old 04-27-2019, 08:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I suppose I'm leaning toward removing my tranny and replacing with one already rebuilt. I did find several online videos about rebuilding the tranny. I had already watched most of the 4-part series you listed on removing the transmission but its for a 4WD truck, was hoping for one specific to 2WD.

Old 04-27-2019, 09:59 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
My local transmission shop, that only does transmissions, differential and drive shaft work charges $350 for a swap if you give them everything.

Everything means:
Transfluid
Whole transmission and converter
Any parts that are deemed consumable for the swap

These people do this every day too. So it's usually a half day process.

Old 04-27-2019, 10:35 PM
I'm leaning toward removing my tranny and replacing with one already rebuilt..
A remanufactured transmission will come with a warranty. Building the transmission yourself, there is no warranty.

Read the fine print. Call and ask questions. The remanufactured transmission warranty may be void if not installed by a professional. I'm not saying that you could make a mistake. But if the transmission fails due to an error during installation.....and that installation was not performed in a licensed, insured, bonded facility, where the technicians are trained and certified......transmission builder may scoff at sending you a new unit.

I think about that as I'm watching a guy doing it himself, and making a YouTube video, do things that make me double guess what he's doing. There's the part in the video where he reveals that his jacks and jackstands aren't high enough off the ground to use a transmission jack, so he's using a moving dolly & ratchet straps. Some might think this guy's pretty smart for finding a work around. I see it as unsafe, and not an excuse, to not have the truck securely lifted to a better working height. Safety glasses won't make a difference when that transmission falls on him, as he's under it, and trying to wiggle it into the right angle, and it's dangling on ratchet straps. I'm sure that others can point out different parts of the video, where they sort of second guessed what that guy was doing. But he did get the job done. Which is more than I can say for myself; since I would rather pay someone else to do, what I am not trained for and have no experience in doing.

YouTube videos may be informative, to an extent, but they are not factory training videos or factory service manuals. And for me, a youtube video does not take the place of proper training and apprenticeship. Would you watch a youtube video on how to swim, then jump right into the ocean?

Old 04-29-2019, 07:49 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Interesting. This is literally a picture I took of a transmission I built and loaded up onto my website for sale to my customers.

People need to not steal without asking.

Old 04-29-2019, 07:50 PM
Check it out. It loads up right there for all to see.

https://www.bcawebstore.com/

Old 04-30-2019, 07:32 PM
Do you even know who that guy is?

Old 05-01-2019, 07:57 AM
Originally Posted by Fifty150
Do you even know who that guy is?
I have no idea who that is. But pictures of my stuff and writeups on the work that I do turn up all over the place without me having any part of it. I guess I take that as a compliment.

D

Last edited by Darrin Burch; 05-01-2019 at 08:03 AM.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:01 AM
I just don't understand why anyone would want to spend so much money on a product (name) that literally isn't worth half of what it costs. There are other options that are MUCH more reliable and that people here on this board have personal experience with.

D

Old 05-01-2019, 08:09 AM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
YUP.....in fact ^^^^^^ that guy right there ^^^^ was more than helpful when i rebuilt mine...(considering the last tranny rebuild i did was my th400 ....back in 1991 ..)

Old 05-02-2019, 03:50 AM
Originally Posted by Darrin Burch
pictures of my stuff and writeups on the work that I do turn up all over the place without me having any part of it
Trademark, copyright, patent, and then hire a team of lawyers to go after all of them.

There are lawyers who specialize in that sort of thing. I hear that a lot of them will figure out what was gained from theft of your material, such as monetary earnings he otherwise would not have earned, if he didn't enhance his own reputation with your work product. Then they add in damage to your reputation because someone like me, may confuse you, for that guy's lesser quality work. They will serve him with a bunch of lawsuits, demanding recompense in dollar figures he can't possibly pay. They already know what he is worth from their due diligence fact finding. They then present him with the outlook of his bankruptcy, and how his lawyers fees would shutter his business and cost him his home. Somewhere along the way, he is convinced to pay out $$$XXX to make it all go away, and sign an agreement to never steal from you or even look your way. Lawyer takes their pre-trial XX% of settlement. You never pay the lawyer out of pocket. And the lawyer sends you a check whenever they successfully shut down another thief.

Trademark protection attorneys, with your consent, will actually have their own investigators who may find cases of people stealing from you, whom you never even knew about.

Old 05-02-2019, 07:57 AM
I just wish people would ask before they use my work to illustrate theirs. I'm pretty easy to get along with as long as everyone is being honest and straightforward. I'll even help make sure your "facts" are factual and help with more recent and pertinent info.

But, some are just both hard headed and all about self promotion off the backs of others. What comes around goes around though. I've seen them come and go and I'm still here. So...

D

Old 05-02-2019, 07:40 PM
....yeah.....maybe that guy will get some chemical squirt in his eye, since he does not wear safety glasses.....

Quick Reply: Rebuild or Replace? Street Smart vs Jasper?