Go Back  F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > Transmissions
2003 4r70w to tow in OD or not? >

2003 4r70w to tow in OD or not?

2003 4r70w to tow in OD or not?

Old 05-18-2019, 10:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With the sensor in the line to the cooler I expect you're going to be back here asking for help with an overheating transmission. In that location, when towing up a grade 300F is not unusual. That was not a typo, I wrote THREE HUNDRED DEGREES FAHRENHEIT.

In my opinion the best place to put the temp sensor is in the test port on the driver's side of the transmission.

Old 05-19-2019, 07:56 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
With the sensor in the line to the cooler I expect you're going to be back here asking for help with an overheating transmission. In that location, when towing up a grade 300F is not unusual. That was not a typo, I wrote THREE HUNDRED DEGREES FAHRENHEIT.

In my opinion the best place to put the temp sensor is in the test port on the driver's side of the transmission.

This is GREAT information!

D

Old 06-07-2019, 12:06 AM
cooler installed YAY
Osed a couple pieces of 1/4 x 1" aluminum. found a couple j-nut holes in the top...MADE a couple j-nut slots in the bottom.... whalah!
I chose to hard line it with compression fittings as I HATE hose clamps and there was NO-WAY to adapt to the original lines

Old 06-07-2019, 12:09 AM
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post

arghhh
wish I had seen that last week....well...now I guess i can do a comparison..

Old 06-23-2019, 08:06 AM
I did NOT have enough time to install a 2nd sender in the TEST port and switch as gearing up for summer camp.
Survived summer camp with about 900 BOY SCOUTS (some female SCOUTS too!)...and the 5 hr drive with 6300 lb trailer 5800 truck.
Tranny temps ranged from 180 - 230 with ambient temps around 85 +/- 5. normal driving required OD lock out button as ANY little grade in the road truck would go into 3rd gear anyway (and that is with a towing tune). Cruising speeds around 65-80 mph puts MY truck in the 1800-2300 rpm range in OD....truck does NOT have enough torque to break the head wind (with trailer and weight) so i just locked out OD and hit cruise control. Maintained around 3200-3600 rpm..all went well. Tranny temp did spike up to 240 ish on a couple LONG grades IN TRAFFIC (water temp was up too, running around 4k rpm for almost 2 miles 2nd gear)....once i was able to get some AIR movement tranny temp dropped back down in the 200-210 range.
Normal driving (unloaded truck no trailer) temps run around 140-180.

NEXT...I will install a sender in the test port (after bench calibration ..boiling water) with a selection switch to do DIRECT, IMMEDIATE temp comparisons.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2003 4r70w to tow in OD or not?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: