F150 Sport 2018 - Shifting issue 10 speed

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 07:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F150 Sport 2018 - Shifting issue 10 speed

Hello,

I have a 2018 F150 , 2.7 L Sport Eco Boost . As i approached 3000 miles, i started to experience a drag with a roar/ and jerky shift while shifting from 1 to 3 ( Skipping 2) and when going back from 3 to 1 (Skipping 2) . This has been happening occasionally when the Truck has been running for 1 hr or longer . When the issue happens reverse exhibits same problem : Jerky reverse and a roar. I have taken the truck to the dealership (twice ) and they keep tell me they do not find an issue and no "P" codes are issue and skipping gears is normal on 10 speed transmission. I told them that is fine if this is the design as i was concerned when the issue happens i saw that 2nd gear is completely skipped when upshifting and downshifting , but the main problem becomes roaring (loud noise ) and jerky shift. This is only happens from 1-3 and 3-1 , the rest of the gears transition fine and smooth ( i am always in Automatic mode and not manual). Any one has seen a similar issue and any recommendation aside from recording the incident next time it happens ?

thanks

IK

Old 03-02-2019, 10:06 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
There seems to be "issues" with the 10-speed transmissions and there have been other threads posted on problems with them. I don't have the 10-speed and I have no special knowledge about them but your description makes me think there is an excessive shifting delay between 1st and 3rd gears where the transmission is not engaged. The "roar" you describe could possibly be the turbocharger coming in due to high engine revs and then the "jerk" would be the transmission finally engaging with the engine revs high.

I would think there could be a TCM (Transmission Control Module) flash that could fix this.But, it's also possible that Ford has not figured out the programming needed. If there is another dealership you could take your truck to, I'd recommend you do so to see if they have any ideas. I think you DO need to keep seeing the dealership about this, because it could become more serious and you would want documentation that it has been an ongoing problem.

Other members may have better advice and I hope if they do, they'll post it.

- Jack

Old 03-02-2019, 06:11 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Skip shifting is normal

Most people hear a whining noise just before shift, have not heard much chatter about any major complaints of grinding or roaring noises

Old 03-04-2019, 09:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. So far i took it twice and they did not find the issue which has not be repeatable. I'll wait to record it when it happens again. Just wandering if other owners has seen this issue as well.

Quick Reply: F150 Sport 2018 - Shifting issue 10 speed