transmission operating temperature - F150online Forums

Go Back  F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > Transmissions
transmission operating temperature >

transmission operating temperature

Old 11-02-2018, 02:30 PM

Pretty sure this was discussed before when the trucks were younger, but now from some time and experience I would like to know how those numbers are holding up and if there's a Ford reference sheet of some sort.

What's the recommended operating temperature that our transmission should be running? What are the low & high thresholds? From normal driving, towing, 4wheelin, etc...

2004 5.4L Lariat SuperCrew (4R70W transmission)

Old 11-02-2018, 05:05 PM
glc
Anything between 180 and 220 should be fine.

Old 11-05-2018, 12:57 AM
Many moons have now passed. Some of us still hold on.

I installed an aftermarket cooler, along with a Mag Hytec DD pan. All in the interest of cooling.

I can't tell if it has helped or hurt the truck. But I still have the truck, and haven't had transmission problems yet.

With the ScanGauge II reading the transmission fluid temperature via OBD II port, where is the sensor? Am I seeing the temperature inside of the transmission? Is that the temperature of the fluid before it goes out to the cooler, or the temperature of the fluid returned from the cooler? How much of a difference is that from the temperature of the transmission fluid in the pan?

I'm not any kind of mechanic. Just a guy who drives his car, and has a set of wrenches. I save $19.95 on an oil change......but spend $100 buying my own synthetic oil and K&N filter.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:55 PM
The sensor is in the solenoid body. The solenoid body is in the pan, but raised from the bottom.The sensor shows a good average temperature inside the transmission. The fluid in the pan is the coolest part of the transmission. The fluid leaving for the cooler is the hottest point. The sensor reads between these two extremes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: transmission operating temperature

Sponsors

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: