Transmission over heating?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 09:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Transmission over heating?

Hello,

I have an 07 fx4 supercrew, The issue I'm having that after normal driving the transmission is overheating +220F read on the (Edge Programmer). I am just using the programmer set on 0. I have even had the transmission fault come on before from this. The truck runs and shifts fine no problems, still gets good mpg. Also did a fluid exchange on the transmission at 60K, there is 67K on it now. Any ideas on what could cause this? Any help is most appreciated.

Thanks

Old 03-16-2011, 11:29 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I would be looking at the tranmission cooling system. There is a thermal bypass in the cooler lines, and while a failure is apparently rare, that can fail and loop uncooled fluid back into the transmission instead of through the cooler.

Also, those built in sensors are notoriously crap. I wouldn't trust one to tell you the actual temp at all.

That said, if I were really worried about it and thought there was a real temp problem then I think I would install an aftermarket gauge that has it's own temp sensor.

Darrin

Old 03-20-2011, 07:22 PM
First post, just joined today.

I am having the exact same problem on my new to me 2005 Fx4 Screw. It has 78k miles and runs great as far as I can tell.

Drove about an hour of freeway and then went up in the mountains. Got the trans fault on the dash and blinking o/d light. Other than that it shifted and drove fine. I pulled over and turned off the key and immediately restarted and the fault went away. Drove another 15 mins and happened again. Then I stopped and had lunch about 3 hrs later started up and went home 15 mins of mountain then 1hr of highway. No faults. All I can think is an issue with trans overheating or bad temp sensor tripping the fault at a lower temp than it should. Still have a 30 day warranty from the dealer so it is going back tomorrow.

Old 03-21-2011, 03:02 AM
Let me know how it turns out, Im still trying to figure this issue out. Going to put a call into ford tomorrow to see if they can answer any questions.

Old 03-21-2011, 02:51 PM
Well heard back from the dealer.

They say the code is either a bad converter or a solenoid. They farm out their trans work to AAMCO so it going over there. Converter seemed fine in normal driving so my money is on a shift solenoid. Hopefully if that is all it is the truck will be back tomorrow.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:32 AM
Another update.

Now that AAMCO has it in their hands they are saying it's the valve body. I have heard of issues with those on these trucks. Unfortunately the earliest I will seem it back is tomorrow but more likely Thurs. Chances you take on a used truck. At least it is still under the warranty so the work and Hyundai rental car, lol, are free. But it still sucks.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:58 PM
I called ford yesterday, i purchased the extended plan for my truck when i got it, just $100 deductible. Goes in next week.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:53 AM
Well they replaced the valve body, and cleaned the screen and replaced the filter, and new fluid (service change).
Drives fine, but then it did before except as noted above. This weekend I will take the same drive and see how it goes.

One up side is now my 30 day warranty is upped to 6months on the trans.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:13 PM
either of you guys got updates?
curious how the temp looks now as well.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:03 PM
Well my issue came back.

After I had a different trans guy look at it internally, and do a long drive test drive with a laptop hooked up, I have a burnt up TC.

Basically once its up to operating temp and the comp is directing the TC to keep locked but under a load it unlocks on its own. That happens 5 times on a drive cycle and you get the trans fault message.

At the end of the day it is a efficiency thing, but has to be fixed to get emmissions every year.

When the guy pulled the pan, I had a second service change and he added some Ford trans additive. Since then I have gone over 1k miles without the fault coming on.

So, I am now a believer in if you are out of warranty a fluid exchange is the best starting place.

I knew coming into these trucks that the trans were weak, and had planned on the chance of a rebuild, but I will just run this one into the ground. That is why I have road side assistance

Old 05-26-2011, 06:25 PM
I disagree that the 4R75E trans is weak, it's not. If it's not maintained properly, like everything else, you will have problems.
Just for your information, the standard service is a pan drop, pan cleaning, and refill. Filter change only if needed. As part of the service, a MANDATORY reverse flushing of the cooler tubes and cooler for 5 minutes after removing the thermostat. Then blow out the cooler and tubes with air and replace thermostat.
This to be done every 30K miles for severe service. Fluid replacement only if fluid is contaminated. This is from the Ford Workshop manual for 2007. How many people have had their truck serviced this way? None, from what I gather. When I showed the Service Dept. this info in the manual they didn't know what to say.
If the trans is not serviced according to the manual, don't expect much and don't then blame the transmission.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:53 PM
Not blaming the trans, I had just seen that Trans issues are somewhat common on these trucks. Based on the burnt up TC, my thought is someone towed with it, in O/D. But who knows.

On the down side, Trans Fault came back again, same symptoms. Looks like it will be off for a new TC.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:14 PM
Trans issues are common on these trucks mostly on these forums. When someone here has a issue and explains what preceded the issue, it usually boils down to : they used a "Universal" trans fluid when they changed the trans oil, or they had a trans flush and refill, or did some other non recommended trans service procedure. Additionally, the majority of dealers don't know how to service the trans according to the Factory service manual from what I've seen and heard.

You pretty much inherited whatever "service" or lack of service the trans recieved or, as you say, possible incorrectly towing in OD (most likely). Hopefully, once a new TC is installed you will receive good service from the trans.

Old 01-23-2019, 01:54 AM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Darrin Burch
I would be looking at the tranmission cooling system. There is a thermal bypass in the cooler lines, and while a failure is apparently rare, that can fail and loop uncooled fluid back into the transmission instead of through the cooler.
I would like to remove the Fluid Cooler Bypass Valve. Just bridge the cooling and return lines with hose & hose clamps.

I have read that the Fluid Cooler Bypass Valve is suppose to bypass the cooling system until temperatures reach 180 Fahrenheit.

Haynes Manual does not have a page for removing the Fluid Cooler Bypass Valve. How does it come off? Do I need a special tool?

Originally Posted by Darrin Burch
Also, those built in sensors are notoriously crap. I wouldn't trust one to tell you the actual temp at all.
Interesting. So the internal unit monitoring the pan temperature, and sending that information to the Transmission Control Module, is not accurate?

Old 01-23-2019, 10:21 AM
glc
Received 760 Likes on 704 Posts
I don't think you want to do this. If you do, it won't shift into overdrive until the fluid reaches normal operating temperature.

Quick Reply: Transmission over heating?