E4OD high press. Diagnosis

Old 09-15-2018, 12:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E4OD high press. Diagnosis

Hi everyone,
I'm new here on this forum and to Ford trucks in general. I have a thread going on this topic over at F-T.com but I'm sure there are knowledgeable folks here that can probably help me as well.
I recently purchased a "mechanics special" '92 F150 5.8 with E4OD. The truck wasn't driving due to a blown converter seal (PO accounts)
I changed the seal and it shifted late and hard, wouldn't shift back down to 1st after stopping and was throwing a VSS code. The speedo and ODO weren't working and I found a blown capacitor on the board. Changed that. Speedo and ODO work, trans shifted great till it would heat up, then it would want to stall when I came to a stop. As if the TC wasn't unlocking.
NO MORE CODES ARE PRESENT
Engine runs like a champ and I can't find any vacuum leaks

Hooked up a pressure gauge to and while cold, readings were normal. After one shift cycle on a short drive, pressure spiked above my gauges 140psi max and shifting got hard and it would stall when coming to a stop. Shifting to Park or N did not bring pressure back down. Turning off the truck and turning it back on did not change the pressure.

I have now removed the solenoid pack and bench tested it with a meter. With a probe on Pin 1, and the other on each solenoid's pin, all solenoids were reading about 20 ohms. Pin 1 to pin 11 (pressure solenoid) was out of limit, or 0ohm. I placed my probes on both of the contacts on the pressure solenoid and read 4.6ohm. 20 ohms was duplicated using the same contact points on the other solenoids. So it seems the solenoid board has a short somewhere between pins and the pressure solenoid, am I correct in that?

I also ran the part number of the pack I pulled from the '92 and found it matches '95+ model years. I have read there are diodes to protect the solenoids in the pack board on the earlier board but these were moved to the PCM in later years. Is this also correct?

The PO said his son had "fixed something in the valve body".
I'm guessing one of the original solenoids went t*ts up and he put this one in not knowing the difference and it has fried????
I have another solenoid pack on order.

Anyone have any other advice? These electronic transmissions can really make a guy go nutts!!!

Thanks!!
Joe

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: E4OD high press. Diagnosis