4R70W - dipstick shows overfill

Old 06-10-2018, 09:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4R70W - dipstick shows overfill

I removed transmission pan and removed valve body and replaced pistons and spring and put them back together.

Than slowly started adding fluid but at cold it was not showing between those two holes so I continued adding ..
by the time I saw it between two holes .(at cold) .it was 10 quarts ..

I did not drain torque converter ....

How much fluid remains in torque converter ?

Is there any overflow tube ...or I have to remove pan and drain ?

Old 06-10-2018, 10:30 AM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
You are about 5 quarts overfilled. Either drop the pan or suck it out of the dipstick tube.

Fluid is checked warm with the engine running in Park.

Total capacity is 14 quarts, dropping the pan only removes 5 quarts.

Old 06-10-2018, 11:15 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Get some tygon tube that will fit inside the dipstick tube (Home Depot sells it) and insert it to the bottom of the trans pan. Then suck on the tube to get a siphon started. Then insert the other end of the tube inside some container that is below the trans level and it will siphon out the excess fluid.

Old 06-10-2018, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by glc
You are about 5 quarts overfilled. Either drop the pan or suck it out of the dipstick tube.

Fluid is checked warm with the engine running in Park.

Total capacity is 14 quarts, dropping the pan only removes 5 quarts.
Thanks...its amazing...when I checked the fluid at operating temperature and in park ..the level is just touching cross hatch mark

I am puzzled ...I did not drain torque converter ...and added 10.5 quarts and it is still showing normal level ?

I found this link https://www.jegs.com/jegs/jegsautotranscapacity.html which tells us fluid capacity of torque converter

I cross checked size of 4r70w torque converter which is 12.75 inches ...that means in 4r70w fluid in torque converter should be 5 quarts

When I check at cold level like early morning ...dipstick is way above hatch mark ...can someone explain?

When I check at cold level like early morning ...dipstick is way above hatch mark ...can someone explain?

Last edited by curiousv; 06-10-2018 at 11:55 AM.
Old 06-10-2018, 01:02 PM
glc
Checking it cold and/or with the engine off will not give you a correct reading.

Old 06-10-2018, 08:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
10 qts to refill the transmission after the valve body is removed.

check the fluid level with the engine running, shifter in park and engine at operating temperature

Old 06-10-2018, 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Checking it cold and/or with the engine off will not give you a correct reading.
Yeah learned that now

Old 07-06-2018, 09:57 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
You actually did at least halfway drain the torque converter if you removed the valve body.

The drainback valve to keep the converter filled when the engine isn't running is in the valve body. So when you remove the valve body everything that is above the bottom of the hub in the converter is going to come out because there's nothing to stop it. We call this the Mercon shower by the way. LOL

Also, be careful of how you are checking the level. I have argued with some very professional shops trying to convince them on how to do this properly. Common sense applies. There cannot be a dry spot on the dipstick if it has been submerged in fluid, right? SO you don't look at the highest level on the stick. Nope, what you are looking for is the bottom of the lowest dry spot on the stick. I read one no less than 3 times before I decide on the level. Pull, inspect, wipe and repeat.

You might not be as far overfull as you think. I think if you were that you would have an issue with fluid coming out of an overflow.

D

Old 01-26-2019, 09:23 AM
Where is the trans dipstick ? 2014 F150 V8 3.55 Axle

Got the truck used. Cant find the trans dipstick (haven't looked hard enough ??) and dont see it in the owners manual. Stupid question i know, but i need to find it. thanks in advance.

Old 01-26-2019, 10:02 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
It doesn't have one.

You can retrofit an aftermarket dipstick to it if you Google it.

Old 01-26-2019, 10:17 AM
glc
If you go under the truck and find the fill plug, there is a dipstick on it. Not accessible from up top under the hood.

Old 01-26-2019, 10:58 PM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by curiousv
Some of the fluid from the torque converter is draining into the pan when it sits overnight. When you start the engine the pump puts the fluid back in the torque converter.

Old 01-29-2019, 10:46 PM
Originally Posted by dgalati000
Got the truck used. Cant find the trans dipstick (haven't looked hard enough ??) and dont see it in the owners manual. Stupid question i know, but i need to find it. thanks in advance.
newer trucks do not have a dipstick......to check fluid level & fill etc. there is a plug just above the pan on the front right corner of pan....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4R70W - dipstick shows overfill