2006 4r75e no 3rd

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 05:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 4r75e no 3rd

Looking for help on making next move...

4r75e, transmission 'Q'. I've got the transmission oil pan and valve body off, was hoping to find some broken snap rings. They look intact. Everything looks ok in the valve body, everything moves like I think it should and no obvious pieces of stuff in there.

Anyway, the truck was going into neutral when shifting to third(?). You can drive the truck with it in 2nd to get around. You can also leave it in D and push the OD button and it will drive around in 2nd. Maybe this is third, but feels like 2nd. 2500rpm or so at about 38 mph. Can get truck up to 60+ with hard accell, but rps are racing. I was doing this on the hwy with the od button on and off and coasting off and on. People probably thought I was crazy and I might have been actually. lol.

Problem started while driving down the road 30-35 mph all of a sudden. I pulled it down to 2 and drove home. We drove it 20-30 miles in 2nd due to necessity, now it's torn apart in the driveway.

Truck has 270+k miles with possibly no fluid changes. Second owner, I've ever done it. Owned it since 68k. Found the dipstick plug in the pan. Fluid red on paper towel, but the things obviously dirty when I wipe parts down.

OK, so what now? Keep digging and pull the snap rings? Just put it back together and hope I can get it to the shop? Buy $600 j/y tranny with 150k on it and hope for best? Pull this one and rebuild it? $1900 dollar rebuilt from Orielly or something similar?

Old 02-18-2018, 05:52 PM
I just found small hole(?)/cracks in the valve body spacer plate where the smaller circle is. The cracks look like they go through.

Old 02-18-2018, 06:02 PM
Just talking to myself as I figure things out, maybe somebody will jump in at some point.

ok, sounds like that's the 2-3 accumulator, apparently this crack will make it lose pressure and possibly burn out the 3rd gear clutches? So this tranny sounds like it needs overhauled then, or is there some chance that replacing/fixing this plate will still fix the problem?

Old 02-18-2018, 06:13 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
At 270k, that's pretty good.

It doesn't owe you anything.

I would throw a re-manufactured transmission in the truck rather than playing with the old one and use the old as the return core.

Old 02-18-2018, 06:48 PM
Yea, I know right. It's done us real good, and we've treated it poorly. These tranny's are pretty good IMO. My 99 f150 has 299k, and I've had it since 92k, and no oil changes by me, probably never. Still feels great. (BIG knock knock on some wood).

I know better than to be messing with this, I was hoping it would be one of the snap ring type quick fixes based upon everything being just fine one minute, then suddenly revving in 3rd.

Money is tighter than it's ever been right now, I'm hoping to squeak by until we can get something newer.

Old 03-10-2018, 04:18 PM
Just got done pulling the 2-3 accumulator out and it looks fine too.

Could this be an electrical issue? I ask because we were having some issues with it not wanting to start sometimes, as in no crank, just click before this happened. We'd have to wait some time, try again and then it would start.

Quick Reply: 2006 4r75e no 3rd