Transmission fluid type

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 11:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission fluid type

I recently purchased a 1997 F150 XLT 4.6 4x4. I wanted to service it, but I'm running into an issue in choosing which type of fluid to use. The store computer says Mercon V and the Dip Stick says Mercon. Is there a difference between the two? The truck is an automatic as well.

Old 11-20-2017, 11:17 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Use Mercon V. It replaced Mercon several years back and is better fluid.

Note that you do have a torque converter drain plug - dropping the pan and draining the TC gets all but about 1 quart of fluid out. Change the filter if you want, but reuse the pan gasket unless it's damaged. Buy 14 quarts of fluid.

Add 6 quarts, start it up and run it through the gears, then add 2 quarts at a time, repeating, till you have added 10 quarts. Then repeat, adding 1/2 quart at a time till it's at the ADD mark. Drive it a few miles, check it and add till it's just under the FULL mark.

Old 11-20-2017, 11:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by glc
Use Mercon V. It replaced Mercon several years back and is better fluid.

Note that you do have a torque converter drain plug - dropping the pan and draining the TC gets all but about 1 quart of fluid out. Change the filter if you want, but reuse the pan gasket unless it's damaged. Buy 14 quarts of fluid.

Add 6 quarts, start it up and run it through the gears, then add 2 quarts at a time, repeating, till you have added 10 quarts. Then repeat, adding 1/2 quart at a time till it's at the ADD mark. Drive it a few miles, check it and add till it's just under the FULL mark.
Thank You, I appreciate it.