New Member, Unsure where to post. 04 Blue SCrew 5.4 XLT

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 07:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Transmission Problems P0743 Code on 04 F150 SCrew 5.4 XLT

Hello Everyone,
I wanted to say hello to everyone. Recently purchased a 04 f150 super crew 5.4 XLT 4x4 in true blue. The truck has 140xxx miles, and is in really good condition. I was really looking for something a little newer, with less mileage, and i personally like the extended cab trucks. But i was able to get a great deal, on a super good looking and sounding truck.
The paint needed some correction work, so i spent a few days detailing, and doing the paint correction and now the truck really looks good.
The truck is all original except maintance parts.
I have had the truck for about a month or so now, but i have only drove it a handful of days so far. I changed the oil, I put in a new battery and checked everything on it before I started to try and drive it everyday.
PROBLEMS START A few days ago I left and went through a drive through and while sitting there for a good while the truck felt funny, it didn't want to go easily, no slipping or anything. Felt like The rear brakes were sticking. The trans error code on the dash, shortly after came on. Followed by the check engine light. Over drive light flashing. I took the truck for a code read, p0743 and also two codes for shift solenoid B... I think.... no thanks to the guy helping me. So i came home and the next day I reset the computer took the truck for a drive. After 3 miles of highway driving 70,mph the trans error code CEL MIL comes back on back into limp mode. (2nd gear only). Truck stays locked into second gear. I limp it home. I go get the tcc solenoid, (converter control lockup solenoid ) I replace it and 6 qts of fluid. I reset the computer, (unhooked battery while i did the transmission work. And i have the same trans error code/ CEL light / into limp mode immediately. I then in turn go to the parts store to read the codes AGAIN and the code reader won't work with the truck. Code reader says It needs power from vehicle to perform test. This is the same code scanner as before and it worked on two other vehicles, we tested the scanner as well. So now im lost and frustrated with it all. Help please....!! Thank you.

UPDATE... Found a blown fuse #7 I believe it was for cigarette lighter, diagnostics port power fuse. So that problem is now fixed.
on to the transmission. I hate to drain the guild again and start over but I believe it is either the shift solenoid, or the tcc (torque converter controll solenoid I installed was bad.

Last edited by MARK76; 10-07-2017 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Found a solution to part of the problem
Old 10-08-2017, 12:37 PM
Code 0962, 0755, 0743

Update.
I ran the scanner again. Codes 0743, 0755, 0962
0962, pressure control A circuit low voltage
0755 shift soleniod circuit 2 malfunction
0743 torque converter controll solenoid

Old 10-08-2017, 06:58 PM
Ok so I have dropped the pan again and changed out the shift solenoid.
So now with a new shift solenoid and a new tcc solenoid, I still have the transmission error. I checked all the wiring, all the fuses, all connections into the transmission. I also checked the hard wire harness inside the transmission and checked the connection points and pins.
I read the write up for changing the pressure control solenoid and i wonder if i should take it to the dealer and let them put it on the computer to try and narrow down what is causing the issue. The biggest problem is the closest ford dealer is 35-40 miles away. Or do I just replace the pressure control solenoid myself.
HOW CAN I check the transmission pump? Or signs of a failing transmission pump?
Also how hard is it to drop the valve body inside the transmission.
. Thanks.